• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Can you actually do the gyms in any order?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Should be possible. Recalls no barriers to reaching it. Advises not due to static levels. Will always be the same level, regardless of whether you tackle it first or last.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Should be possible. Recalls no barriers to reaching it. Advises not due to static levels. Will always be the same level, regardless of whether you tackle it first or last.

So you can go to any city?

I've been trying to scale the cliff to reach the water type city to no avail. I'm probably going to just do the titans first.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023

I've been trying to scale the cliff to reach the water type city to no avail. I'm probably going to just do the titans first.

How much do you wanna grind? The lack of scaling means your gonna be extremely under leveled for the titans, bases, and leaders. Then when you go back you'll be over leveled.

Play it in order. This game actively gets worse when you don't.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • How much do you wanna grind? The lack of scaling means your gonna be extremely under leveled for the titans, bases, and leaders. Then when you go back you'll be over leveled.

Play it in order. This game actively gets worse when you don't.

I can always use new Pokemon I caught instead of my main team, but. I don't know. I really just want to play the game how I want to like they advertised we could.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    Water gym is around level 30 so, it depends on whether your current team can deal with that or not.

You can go anywhere, but you can't do gyms/titans/bases in any order you want because the games still have fixed level progression.

Going to higher level areas and catch Pokémon that triple your current level is possible, but they might still not obey if their level is above your current obedience level cap.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today

Just follow the road from Cortondo (the Bug Gym city). Tried in-game. Reached Cascarrafa without any special abilities. Avoids the Team Star base by sliding into the desert, if you prefer.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2024
    I would do the gyms in order. Otherwise you'll be either extremely over leveled or under leveled and the game becomes unfun

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I would do the gyms in order. Otherwise you'll be either extremely over leveled or under leveled and the game becomes unfun

Don't worry about that, I have a secondary team for the earlier gyms that's specifically designed to keep the game balanced for me.

Tbh, I'm already set on not playing this game in order, and I'm glad I did because it gives me the opportunity to play with different Pokemon.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Don't worry about that, I have a secondary team for the earlier gyms that's specifically designed to keep the game balanced for me.

Tbh, I'm already set on not playing this game in order, and I'm glad I did because it gives me the opportunity to play with different Pokemon.

Exactly. From what I found, using more than one team is the absolute best way to play this game!

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • It should be possible considering the game's main selling point is the open world concept with only minor water obstacles until swimming is unlocked, however the levels don't scale so the chronological order is still required for those not up for a challenge despite that it's not an easy feat since the map doesn't reveal the level of the areas.

I unwittingly first made my way to Afornada around 10 levels under leveled for the area and although I met my shiny Metacham on this route, I barely made it to the town in one piece.

Simultaneously, if you go for the challenge, you could become over leveled for some gyms, so it can be a double edged sword.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    It should be possible considering the game's main selling point is the open world concept with only minor water obstacles until swimming is unlocked, however the levels don't scale so the chronological order is still required for those not up for a challenge despite that it's not an easy feat since the map doesn't reveal the level of the areas.

While it's true that we may reach late game areas earlier, I had the feeling that the game also discourages this by making map navigation a pain in the Nosepass until you unlock double jump and climb for your ride. Certain locations require large and counterintuitive detours to be accessed from one particular route.

So for anyone trying to do gyms out of order, it's probably a good idea to get Titans done as soon as possible.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • While it's true that we may reach late game areas earlier, I had the feeling that the game also discourages this by making map navigation a pain in the Nosepass until you unlock double jump and climb for your ride. Certain locations require large and counterintuitive detours to be accessed from one particular route.

So for anyone trying to do gyms out of order, it's probably a good idea to get Titans done as soon as possible.

Also a valid point.
    I'm on my last badge in Scarlet and haven't gotten climb, that's one thing I will be sure to try to do earlier in Violet.

Years
  • You can do anything in any order provided you can actually make it there and your Pokemon are strong enough. However, the badges have the same level effect, as in, if you have no badges, a lv 30 Pokemon won't listen to you.
    I did them in order to raise my Pokemon appropriately.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've definitely not done them in order. Went up the right of the map first, then aimed for the top so far I've beaten the following: Grass, Electric, Normal, Ice. All my team are in the high level 50s and after my Titan Orthworm one-shotted Glaseado whilst only taking 2 hits, I decided to look up the Champion's team…yeah, I'm already OP. So I'm selecting an entire new team (and I'd already used 7 due to breaking my "no previous gens" rule I always play by to use the Tera Pikachu, who is now a Raichu) and I'll use the lv. 100 Gastrodon a PC member gifted me for the autobattles until they hit a safe level to continue the save (I fly about everywhere, but I am trying to do a path around the map rather than jumping back to Mesagoza and going the opposite direction).

They really should have done something like the Wild Area's post-game level jump from SwSh. Perhaps everything North of Mesagoza gets a level bump with every badge?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I do like the fact you can challenge in any order. However my biggest pet peeve was that the levels didn't scale. The first Team Star boss I faced was the fire one when it was supposed to be dark. I get they wanted it to be open world but at the same time some kind of hint at the order the game is supposed to be played in would be helpful.

Back