• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Can you really call it your "game"

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
  • I am going to chime in here, since now the Hacking section is involved.

ROM hacking is not easy. While they might have an easier time (I actually somewhat doubt this) with scripting, inserting graphics into a game is a total B**CH, it takes time and dedication and replacing images is hard enough once you have found them. This statement comes from the fact that I was once in the ROM Hacking section when Lost Legends was called Dissension.

Working with limits can be very hard to do when you are limited as ROM Hackers are.

That aside, a Starter Kit is there for someone to start with. it is no different then using someones tiles for your game. What truly makes it your game, is the creative edge you apply when developing a game using the resources available to you. It is the developers creativity that really brings a game full circle, not the scripts surrounding it, nor the graphics.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Lol wow, sorry for bringing up hacks in this thread, was thinking of something along the lines of a few added in mini events and not fully flushed hacks like Shiny Gold for example there when saying what I said to be honest.

But anyways, if you and anyone helping you out are responsible for a sizably good portion of the game you're modding or hacking then I think you do have a right to call it your own if the changes you applied are noticeable and large enough.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    i think that since essentials doesn't really have any maps made nor events scripted as long as you've made you own maps and events rather than coping off of others then you can call it your game. A starter kit is just that, a place to start.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
    Years
  • Like most people said, most of us make a Pokémon game for fun.

In my case, i make it because right now i have a lot of free time, and making a pokémon game with maps made by me and a story that i thought of sounded like a good idea as a hobby.

Speaking on your terms, you would have to make a game with your own tilesets, own characters, own scripts, and everything, which, i think, would take years on your own if you don't have a team and actually have a fully functional life with friends, a work, studies and family.

The very thought of doing all of that just for a hobby, when there are tilesets, scripts and tools to accomplish the same thing seems silly to me.

Of course, if you aspire to become a programmer, or you want to actually make a game for profit, then excellent, that's the only way, really.

Also, a modification sounds to me like altering something that was already done. In Pokémon Essentials there's nothing already "done". There are examples, but you have to make the maps, the events, the story, and tweak the scripts as you wish for it work the way you want.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • This is still ongoing.. seriously?

It's just Poemon stating an opinion and everyone saying he's wrong.</thread>

Back