• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you speak any other languages?

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
  • I'm only really fluent in English, so the answer is no. My parents have tried teaching me Filipino when I was like, six, but I don't remember what happened to that. Can't understand a thing when my parents and relatives are talking to each other, but I suppose it's a blessing and a curse. I took three years of Turkish, but I've forgotten basically all of it except greetings, farewells, some verbs, and conjugating. I'm going to take my third and final year of Spanish and oh man, am I bad at that. I can't understand anything unless I concentrate really hard and even then I can only understand about half the things in a sentence.

The best fluency I have in any other language is Japanese. I can understand it way better than Spanish when I can listen to it, but I only know so much kanji and can only get the gist of something when reading Japanese. Oddly enough, my best understanding of Japanese is related to like, navy and some general war stuff. GEE I WONDER WHY I really should just go back to my Anki deck and start memorizing kanji again. I'm incredibly bad at speaking Japanese though. Or any language for that matter. Including English.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I might be able to understand a thing or two in Spanish? However, I can't actually hold conversation speaking Spanish.

Other than that, English is my language.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Eine andere Sprache als englisch? Vielleicht...vielleicht aber auch nicht. :P

English isn't my native language, so obviously the answer is yes. There's German and maybe even some Latin, though, don't expect me to pull off the latter. It's been years since I last had to deal with that language.

Then there's also some different programming languages, but let's not get there.

clefairydesuyo

fairy type pokétrainer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    My native tongue is (British) English.
    I've got an A-Level qualification in (Castellano) Spanish. Currently intermediate level Japanese, I have two lessons a week with a tutor.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I am fluent in English, French, Russian and Ukrainian (although my Ukrainian is really rusty) .
    I have some basic knowledge of Spanish, but that's as far as it goes :) .

Ghost of Caelus

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • I'm fluent in English, well versed in Albanian (native tongue), and I have a basic understanding of Spanish, Italian, and Russian.

I really need to brush up on the last three, I studied them last winter but haven't had the time to study them since.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Hindi ako nasanay sa Pilipino.

In other words, no.

I know a bit of Japanese, and want to learn Latin and Greek.

Last edited:

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
  • The only language I can fluently speak is English, but I am currently learning French and I hope to learn Spanish & Portuguese in the future.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • I can speak welsh, and I'm currently learning French in school. What about you?
    I also would like to learn Welsh, as for te languages I speak, I will classify them from the best to the worst!

5 Stars:
    Tangerian (Berber) : my main langugae.
    Spanish.
    4 Stars:
    French
    2 Stars:
    English
    Arabic

I understand a lot of words: Chinese, German, Japanese but I wouldn't say I can actually have a conversation normally so I won't add them even to 1 star.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Growing up, I was surrounded with half the people in my family being able to communicate in Spanish, and the other half always watching Hindi based movies. So I can understand both languages to a certain extent, though I do wish I could be able to hold up a conversation myself.
    So can u understand Hindi? Indian origin? :)

The only language I can fluently speak is English, but I am currently learning French and I hope to learn Spanish & Portuguese in the future.
    I also would like to learn Welsh, as for te languages I speak, I will classify them from the best to the worst!

5 Stars:
    Tangerian (Berber) : my main langugae.
    Spanish.
    4 Stars:
    French
    2 Stars:
    English
    Arabic
    I won't say French is easy to learn, especially me being an Asian, but its a lot easier to understand than Spanish, imo.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Unfortunately, no. Which is shocking because I took Spanish throughout my last three years of high school. I think I only took it simply because I wanted an Advanced Diploma. I do regret not applying myself though.

I can understand a tad bit of Korean though.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
  • I won't say French is easy to learn, especially me being an Asian, but its a lot easier to understand than Spanish, imo.

Living in the US, I've heard a lot of Spanish. Even after trying to learn a little bit of it though, I was never able to understand a lick of it. I'm only a few weeks into French and have have a simple conversation, so I concur! I guess I'll have to put my heart to it a lot more if I really wanna learn it haha.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Living in the US, I've heard a lot of Spanish. Even after trying to learn a little bit of it though, I was never able to understand a lick of it. I'm only a few weeks into French and have have a simple conversation, so I concur! I guess I'll have to put my heart to it a lot more if I really wanna learn it haha.
    Ya, as I've said earlier, my job required me to learn those languages. Although I've been totally out of touch, I think I can still have simple conversations in French, but Spanish, uh uh, not my cup of tea.

Pika Pika :chu:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Se habla espanol aqui.

Trying to learn Italian on my own time here. It's fairly easy since Spanish was derived from the language. So I'm getting there.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • I speak fluent English and am a proficient French speaker. I can understand a small amount of Spanish, but can speak an even smaller amount.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't remember any of it, really, but I took three years of French.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I speak English and Spanish fluently. I can read and listen to Portuguese with close to no problem and can speak it to a degree. I know enough German and Italian to be able not to die if I was living on either country and never found anyone that spoke Spanish or English, so that's nice I guess.

Currently taking Japanese in uni.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • english and russian for me. i know some latin from taking classes, lol but its not much and ive forgotten most of what ive learned

Back