• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Canons, how I Hate Thou!

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Canon versus Creativity

Once I learned that Dawn had a Piplup in the Anime and that your mother's based on Dawn's mother and vice-versa from the anime, I couldn't bring myself to separate Dawn from her mother and Piplup. Then, the rival came in. We all call him Pearl, Barry or Damion. I got a lot of hard time to figure out a good name so I ended up calling him Barry. And, there's Lucas who we never seen in the anime, like Barry who end up with Turtwig. I felt like restarting my game, but with the guy instead. I tried to rename him with my name, but I couldn't bring myself to call him something else than Lucas and I gave him a Turtwig. Damn... I hate it when I have to go canon with everything.

Help me... T_T
    I'm good for psychiatrists help.
    My friend told me that I'm just a geek. lol

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Wow, you're getting this upset over not matching the anime? Pick the pokes you like, not those decipted by a cartoon. They'll stop matching up once you get half-way in anyway, where they pull out different pokemon and the like.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Haha, that's a bit obsessive. OCD much? XD I don't even give my rival one of the preset names, I named him "Klaus," just because I was diggin' that name at the time, heh. Dawn, I could care less about, she's completely useless anyways. And I took Piplup for myself, although I'm thinking about using Turtwig in Platinum. I can be pretty OCD about some things, but not to the point where I have to copy a cartoon - if you're going to write a fanfic, or something, then you can worry about canon :P With the games, yeah, not so important.

daydreambeliever

Awkwardturtleshipping (L)
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    haha. When I got Diamond, I picked the girl as I am a girl & picked Piplup couse I loved the look of it! & then when I watched the anime again, I saw that I had picked what Dawn had.
    I knew she had Piplup in the anime but it never stood out when I was playing it.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I prefer Videogame Canon:

-Orange Islands Don't Exist
    -Red exists, but not retard-of-the-year Ash
    -Jessie/James Don't exist outside of Yellow, which itself is loosely based off of the Anime
    -Misty is older and Less annoying than her TV show counterpart (not to mention that stupid Ash/Misty romance 4kids added but did not exist in the original Japanese Version)
    -Battle Frontier is in Hoenn
    -Pokemon make mechanical Noises and not repeating their stupid English names repeatedly.
    -Contests don't include Battles (not everything has to have battles in it, you know)
    ect.

Yes, I hate everything Anime-related outside of the JAPANESE version of Pocket Monsters Crystal: Raikou, Legend of Thunder

Really, Anime Canon =/= Videogame Canon.

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
    Years
    Well, I used to like Dawn, then that damn notion of Pearlshipping came up;

Now I can't bear to look at poor Piplup, or Pachirisu, or Aipom

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Well, I just started a new game. I named my character with my name and my Rival with Ralph... Dawn is my helper and she has a Chimchar... Actually, I think she's better with a Chimchar than a Turtwig. Yeah, I'm obsessed with the anime, I guess I'm just that geek. Screw animes! XD (lol) I'll try to make a quick game, so I'll explore Hoenn a lot, before actually catching a lot of pokémons. I just caught a Shinx. T_T;; Another little problem... I couldn't find any decent nicknames for both my Piplup and my Shinx. Meh... (I wanted to personalize them so bad...) ^^;

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    heh. I had no idea about the anime or the manga when I played Sapphire the first time, picked the girl, and picked Torchic. LAWL.

If this helps any...
    Piplup's Japanese name is "Pochama"
    and Shinx's is "Korinku"

Funny how I'm almost tempted to pick TURTWIG so the rival guy has Chimchar... just look at his animation xD

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    My Piplup is now an Empoleon at level 38... He kicks ass... *drools* And I only have 2 badges! Plus, he one a normal Beauty Contest. :)

I thought him Metal Wings, Pluck, Aqua Jet and Bubblebeam.

Now I'm training a rock type for one of the upcoming Gym Battles.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I like Turtwig; every trainer should just have Turtwig.

Infact the franchise should be called "Turtwig" and be about loads of people who battle tree-turtles together.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    that reminds me of when I called myself Yukii in Diamond, after my rival in Pearl, named the Rival after a former rival/friend who moved, and choose Piplup like Yukii did in my Pearl... then the rival had Turtwig... just like my friend picked! o.0

Funny, no?

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
    Once I learned that Dawn had a Piplup in the Anime and that your mother's based on Dawn's mother and vice-versa from the anime, I couldn't bring myself to separate Dawn from her mother and Piplup. Then, the rival came in. We all call him Pearl, Barry or Damion. I got a lot of hard time to figure out a good name so I ended up calling him Barry. And, there's Lucas who we never seen in the anime, like Barry who end up with Turtwig. I felt like restarting my game, but with the guy instead. I tried to rename him with my name, but I couldn't bring myself to call him something else than Lucas and I gave him a Turtwig. Damn... I hate it when I have to go canon with everything.

Help me... T_T
    I'm good for psychiatrists help.
    My friend told me that I'm just a geek. lol

You are not alone, my friend. All the games are like this; mostly, the male hero doesn't
    exist in the anime.
    I too hate this vile sexism.

Jeez. I should lay off the Pepsi. xD

Leaf_PKMN-Trainer

Gardevoir Fangirl
    Years
    I matched the Anime Continuity a little bit all by coincidence.
    In Pearl I named my trainer Dawn and I chose a Piplup. I just liked the name Dawn, which I found out was her name by my brother's Diamond version and I just liked Piplup more than the other 2.

daydreambeliever

Awkwardturtleshipping (L)
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    Now that I think about it, when I get Platinum, I want to canon the manga!

I will be the girl and her name shall be Platina and she shall have a Piplup!

Then I will name the rival Pearl and dammit! He will have a Turwig.

And if only you can name the Prof. Helper??!!

Canons are annoying and hard!

Back