• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Can't decide.

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    I am going to get DP soon, hopefully. At the moment, I am stuck between picking Piplup, and Turtwig. I have long loved Bulbasaur, but when Totodile came around, loved him. Then Mudkip and Torchic were equal to me.

So my question is, what are some high points in picking Piplup ot Turtwig. Empoleon looks awesome, Water/Steel Nice, But on same note Torterra's Grass/Ground.. w00t. Lemme have some notes to help pick. Thanks. ^^

Chompah :x

Den Supuhhmann Dat [oh!]
    Years
    I am going to get DP soon, hopefully. At the moment, I am stuck between picking Piplup, and Turtwig. I have long loved Bulbasaur, but when Totodile came around, loved him. Then Mudkip and Torchic were equal to me.

So my question is, what are some high points in picking Piplup ot Turtwig. Empoleon looks awesome, Water/Steel Nice, But on same note Torterra's Grass/Ground.. w00t. Lemme have some notes to help pick. Thanks. ^^

Are you worried about looks or stats?

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    torterra is cooler imo, and if you liked venusaur you will like torterra very mich, i think they are extremely similar

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Play style.

Are you worried about looks or stats?

I mean more play style, like taking a hit, balance of skills. Bulbasaur was very long lived, even though he was half poison. Had some good, buff skills, decent attacks like Razor leaf, and Solarbeam.

Tododile, was better with skills, not to many buffs though. Crunch, Hydro Pump, few others made Totodile a big fav for awhile.

Torchic-Blaziken, and Mudkip-Swampert are similar, the fire then fighting combo nice. Water then Ground combo handy, except against Grass. lol. Blaz gained some nice skills, no buffs worth mentioning. Blaze kick and Sky uppercut ftw. Swampert had some nice ones, Protect and Bide. Then Muddy water and Mud shot. Decent, not uber.

So overall, im looking for which is more balanced in skills. Defense is also important.

Chompah :x

Den Supuhhmann Dat [oh!]
    Years
    I mean more play style, like taking a hit, balance of skills. Bulbasaur was very long lived, even though he was half poison. Had some good, buff skills, decent attacks like Razor leaf, and Solarbeam.

Tododile, was better with skills, not to many buffs though. Crunch, Hydro Pump, few others made Totodile a big fav for awhile.

Torchic-Blaziken, and Mudkip-Swampert are similar, the fire then fighting combo nice. Water then Ground combo handy, except against Grass. lol. Blaz gained some nice skills, no buffs worth mentioning. Blaze kick and Sky uppercut ftw. Swampert had some nice ones, Protect and Bide. Then Muddy water and Mud shot. Decent, not uber.

So overall, im looking for which is more balanced in skills. Defense is also important.

I think you should go with Torterra.

Mizer

That a Banana in Your Pocket?
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 27, 2007
    Torterra rapes the 2nd Person in E4. He also rapes Empoleon. He is the most useful out of your choices... until he gets hit with an Ice attack

fearow23

You know, that guy on T.V.
    Years
    Empoleon resists Torterra's Grass attacks well, and although earthquake hurts, Empoleon can survive enough to launch Ice Beam at it.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Torterra rapes the 2nd Person in E4. He also rapes Empoleon. He is the most useful out of your choices... until he gets hit with an Ice attack
    Except Empoleon outspeeds and OHKOs Torterra with Ice Beam, while Empoleon, I believe, is sturdy enough to survive an Earthquake from Torterra.

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
    Years
    I go with Piplup because it knocks out the first 3 E4 automatically the first E4 you could just use Drill Peck or Ice Beam(by TM) wich will knock his bug pkmn then the second will be ground wich you could use water moves, third is fire so you could use water moves again!Next is Psychic so do what ever high moves or switch out with a Pokemon that knows dark moves then it's the Champion wich you have to used mix but Empoleon will be more usefull then Torterra

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Same issue.

One issue im seeing that they did with Blastoise as well. Is they give the water starter semi decent attacks, and some pretty lame buffs, Swords dance, Swagger, Brine, and Mist... Upon looking them up... lame.

As where Torterra has some nice buffs, not many but good ones. Withdraw (lol a water move), Leech Seed (meh, and far to late in the game for the lvl learned), And Synthesis, w00t.

I have a feeling im going to cheat, and get both of them. lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2008
    One issue im seeing that they did with Blastoise as well. Is they give the water starter semi decent attacks, and some pretty lame buffs, Swords dance, Swagger, Brine, and Mist... Upon looking them up... lame.
    Huh? Swords Dance is really good, as buffs go. Also you get decent attacks through the TMs (Surf, or Waterfall if you're going physical) so regardless of what you learn naturally you're never short of a powerful move.

As where Torterra has some nice buffs, not many but good ones. Withdraw (lol a water move), Leech Seed (meh, and far to late in the game for the lvl learned), And Synthesis, w00t.
    Don't underestimate Leech Seed.

I have a feeling im going to cheat, and get both of them. lol
    Trading isn't cheating. :confused:

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    Empoleon walls TWELVE elements. No other Pokemon has that kind of elemental resistance. With Torterra's low speed and 4x ice weakness, it's just asking to have a dragonslayer snipe it before it can do anything.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2008
    Empoleon walls TWELVE elements. No other Pokemon has that kind of elemental resistance. With Torterra's low speed and 4x ice weakness, it's just asking to have a dragonslayer snipe it before it can do anything.
    I don't think he's asking what's needed for competitive battling... just what's best for the main game. Better arguments are Empoleon can sweep two of the Elite 4 by himself and resists a third. But if you're looking for a battle-worthy Poke, Chimchar -> Piplup, and for the early game there's a massive shortage of decent Fire-types pre-National Dex.

Gedow_Trainer

Honorable Gedow commander
    Years
    I actually just wanted to be different. My sisters got Turtwig and Piplup and I got Chimchar. But I still have a good time with infernape and he's just as good as theirs

codymr14

Lakeland city gym trainer
    Years
    go with torterra empoleon get s killed to easily because of the steel cuz most of the E4 pokemon have earthquake which = 1HKO

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    go with torterra empoleon get s killed to easily because of the steel cuz most of the E4 pokemon have earthquake which = 1HKO

actually, someone confirm this, but i think that the fact that he is water/steel makes it so the attack is only regularly effective

Back