• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CARD GAMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
  • Tacey raised an eyebrow at the two strangers who came flying out of the theater face-first, getting onto their feet and declaring themselves to be shadow actors shortly thereafter. Still staring at the total lack of grace in their introduction, Tacey couldn't help a sceptical little 'pfft'. Were these guys for real?

"And I thought that goth kid had problems..." she muttered, shaking her head. The only reason she wasn't laughing straight into their faces, still covered with the theatric make-up, was the fact that she was angry.

Pretty frothing mad, in fact.

Miseres, noting a familiar shape in Kenta's hair, had made a move to go prod him, but Pikeru had been quick on the uptake and caught the mildly protesting seraph by the back of her outfit, dragging her behind Tacey for safety while observing the duo carefully. She knew the signs of the rich girl's temper boiling and dearly hoped that she wouldn't overdo it and give these two an opening.

That being said, she knew equally well from the glare that the two were receiving from Tacey that voicing this opinion right now wouldn't help, "Alright..." the girl said in her most flowery voice, giving both of them a warm smile that would have made a crocodile proud, even as her eyes spoke of torture chambers and all objects sharp and pointy, "I am Tacey Edgeworth, undefeated duelist of the pro circuit and future CEO of Edgeworth Electronics. This is Achan, he's an idiot with a weird hairdo. Now that we've gotten introductions over and done with..." she made a lightning fast movement, grasping Armstrong by collar of his shirt and yanking it hard to bring the actor's face on level with her own, granting him a prime view of her most murderous glare, "You two clowns have precisely five minutes to undo what ever hocus pocus you've been up to with that door, tell me what in the name of all that is sweet and sugary you are up to and hightail out of here before I have my bodyguards flog you. Do we have an understanding?" not waiting for a reply, she shoved the unfortunate shadow duelist back, relinquishing her grip of his collar as she gave them both a demanding look, "Well? Out with it! I've had just about enough of this shadow game nonsense for one day!"

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan stared half in horror and half in amusement as Tacey proceeded to grip the heavily made-up blonde, who did in all fairness bear a striking resemblance to Jonouchi, and deliver an ultimatum. Displeased at her introduction of him as "an idiot", Achan thought about reminding her that she wasn't technically "undefeated" after her duel with Pegasus. Instead, he thought better of it. After all, Tacey would probably fly off the handle in her current state. Instead, he decided to adopt a slightly more refined stance. Drawing himself up to his full, unimpressive height, Achan adjusted his ever-present sunglasses. "I've already informed you of my thoughts on my own hair, Miss Edgeworth," he deadpanned while imitating Tacey's high-brow manner of speaking, "And I regret to inform you that however better you are then I at dueling, I am not and shall never be an idiot." His statement thus finished, Achan turned to Kenta, who was in the middle of re-adjusting his wig. "Well, are the two of you going to explain what's happening here?" he demanded.

Kenta's eyes glinted wickedly. "Observe, foolish mortals," he replied, "As your masters hem you in! Go, super-mime-mime powers!" With that, the crazed duelist leaped about Achan and Tacey in a circle, waving his arms wildly. Achan didn't know whether to laugh or call the lunatic asylum. Despite the invisible barriers, he was sure that this crazy character couldn't really have ancient magical powers. Then again... Achan hadn't watched nothing but Pokemon reruns during summer vacation for the past three years for nothing. "So that's your ability. You can set up those invisible walls by pantomiming them," he commented.

Kenta and Armstrong grasped their faces in perfectly synchronized mock expressions of horror. "Egads! He's on to us!" Kenta exclaimed.

Armstrong lifted himself up, mustering as much dignity as he could. "And now, Miss Edgeworth, we have you right where we want you. Hand over your duel spirits or we'll force all the air out through these walls and suffocate you." The burly German grinned. He had always loved playing the villain.

Achan rolled his eyes. "Quit the bluff," he replied, "But not gonna happen. If you forced the air out you two would die as well."

Armstrong opened his mouth to reply before slamming it shut just as quickly. "Dangit, he's right. What now? Most people just hand their cards over when we do that," he mouthed to Kenta.

Angrily, Kenta removed his wig and hammered Armstrong over the head with it. "We're duelists, idiot! Remember? We'll just get the cards the old-fashioned way!" he replied. Facing Tacey, he pointed at her. "Tacey Edgeworth, we challenge you to a duel!" he challenged.

Achan grimaced. Why was Tacey getting all the attention? "Hey, spread the fun around," he interrupted. "There are two of you after all."

Armstrong shook his head. "You have no spirit. You're worthless to us," he replied.

Achan snapped. Striding purposefully over to the German duelist, he grabbed his wrist and twisted. "Listen punk," he muttered, "I have a deck to playtest and nobody to duel. You just trapped me in a box of invisible walls and insulted me. You are not, I repeat, not getting away with this. If I have to break your wrist to get you to agree to duel me, I will," he growled.

The German duelist blinked back tears. He was really a crybaby at heart, and these mean little kids were throwing a wrench in his spokes. "Fine then, I'll duel you..." he said, before throwing in a sobbing "Meanie!"

Achan would have facepanned if he could have. Releasing his enemy's wrist, he armed his duel disk. "Okay... if I'm an idiot, I guess that makes these two a pair of cavemen, eh?" he asked Tacey.

OOC: Prepare to duel... pick your opponent, please do. And feel free to humiliate them or make it challenging as you wish. I will say that Armstrong and Kenta are more actors then they are serious duelists.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • "That would be insulting the cavemen..." Tacey mumbled in response to Achan's remark. Though she was still calm on the surface, she was practically boiling on the inside. The weird pantomime act had caught her off guard, but now the momentary confusion had been firmly shoved aside by anger. She couldn't believe that she had just been sealed in like that! Fortunately, the dolts hadn't thought out their insidious plan carefully enough, and were forced to resolve it through a card game, one which Achan had rudely butted into. When the starfish-haired teenager had demanded one of the opponents for himself, Tacey had had half a mind to tell him to mind his own business, but she finally decided against it. After all, this way there was only one duel for her to bother with, and she was going to make it one these upstarts wouldn't forget in a hurry.

In a well routined motion, Tacey activated her duel disc, the row of card slots extending out to its full length and the device lighting up in preparation. "You, Asian punk." she demanded, glaring Kenta straight into the eye as she assumed her usual haughty duel stance, "Your challenge is accepted. I hope you're better at children's card games than you are at acting." there was a distinctly sadistic tinge to her smile as she noted the clumsy and over-dramatic way in which the shadow actor activated his own disc, "Because I want to get my ticket's worth out of this. It's time to duel!"

"What a tired old line." Kenta retorted disapprovingly, shaking his head in a horribly over-dramatic manner, "Oh, the torment we artists have to suffer...but fine." he returned her glare with a sinister glint of his own, "You're in for a show the likes of which you have never seen. Duel!"

Duelist: Tacey
    Life Points: 8000
    Deck: 35 cards
    Hand: Court of Nobles, Royal Justice, Negate Attack, Forced Back, Divine Wrath
    Field: N/A
    Graveyard:N/A
    Removed from play:N/A

Duelist: Kenta
    Deck: 35 cards
    Hand: 5 cards

"Ladies first, mister drama school dropout." Tacey remarked, reaching for her deck, "I draw."

Draw Phase: Dark Seraph Miseres

Had she not understood the importance of maintaining her composure in this situation, Tacey would probably have face-panned at the sight. How could she have forgotten to take out the temporary addition to her deck? Without the required support, she might as well have put Volcanic Rat in her deck for all the good it would do her! Oh well, Tacey concluded as she inspected her hand, if she had judged her opponent right, this little handicap wouldn't matter.

"Alright." she proclaimed, raising the solitary spell card in her hand into the air, "I'll begin by activating the field spell Court of Nobles."

Accompanied by the usual rumble of a new field spell, the sturdy walls with their banners sprouted out from the floor around the two duelists, said floor soon getting replaced by a well-trimmed lawn with various ornamental bushes and trees. Much to Tacey's surprise, however, there was now an ornamental fountain in the center of the field, the circular marble basin housing a pillar in the middle, upon which rested three figures: two near identical little girls, one with a bright smile on her face, the other looking grouchy over the whole situation as she sneered down at the ground below. Supported between the two was a far more ragged-looking girl with a pair of angelic wings on her back, water streaming out of her eyes to give an illusion of crying.

Tacey gaped. How? Who on earth had tampered with the holograms? She briefly considered Miseres, but noting how the spirit was utterly mesmerized by the sight in front of her, reaching out towards a holographic flower bush with an expression of childish wonder on her face, she quickly crossed that option out.

"Is that it?"

Kenta's impatient remark snapped Tacey out of her reverie, "You wish." she replied, "I summon Royal Justice!"

With a quick motion of her hand, a figure appeared on the ornamental lawn. It was an old and dignified-looking man, his lined face and deep, dark blue eyes giving him an appearance of great age and wisdom as he overlooked the field in a reserved manner. The white hair on top of his head was obviously a wig, but even so he maintained an unmistakable air of authority, standing in his long, black robe with the sizable white collar, a heavy-looking lawbook clutched in his hands.

"I'll play two cards face-down and end my turn."

"About time." Kenta replied in a decidedly haughty manner, "I draw."

Deck: 34 cards
    Hand: Negate Attack, Dark Seraph Miseres
    Field: Court of Nobles (face-up), Royal Justice (1600 Atk/1200 Def), Divine Wrath (face-down), Forced Back (face-down)
    Graveyard: N/A

Deck: 34 cards
    Hand: 6 cards

The shadow actor's face lit up in a rather childish manner at the sight of the card he had drawn, "Ah-hah!" he proclaimed triumphantly, "I activate Trade-in! By tossing one level eight monster, I can draw two new cards. Observe!" the flair with which he drew his cards was even sillier than Kaiba's, but the actor was about to top himself "Now, prepare to feel the true terror of a shadow game: I summon Decoy Dragon and end my turn!" he proclaimed triumphantly.

It took all of Tacey's self-restraint to keep her facade of cool collectedness from breaking right there and then, in front of the tiny green dragon with the golden underbelly and cute button eyes who appeared on the field with an adorable little squeaking growl.

"That's it?" she asked at last.

Kenta raised an eyebrow in suspicion, "Umm...yes?" he ventured at last.

That was it, Tacey just couldn't contain it anymore. Throwing all professionalism to the winds, the girl finally let out the emotions welling up inside her in full force, causing the entire hallway to resonate.

Resonate in queue with her laughter that, is. Loud, uncontrollable, unladylike, overwhelming laughter that made its message to the person who had elicited it perfectly clear: you are a complete and utter failure at children's card games.

"Hey!" Kenta snapped in a rather offended tone, scowling at his ever mirthful opponent, "Just what are you laughing at?!"

"You-you of course!" Tacey managed between the waves of laughter, clutching her stomach with one hand while pointing at her opponent's solitary little dragon with the other, "That-that move..." she wiped the tears of joy out of her eyes, slowly straightening her pose, "Who taught you this game, Mai Valentine?" it was a low blow towards her own gender, but it was common knowledge that said blonde was the worst competitive duelist in existence.

And that she wasn't a genuine blonde, of course.

"Don't underestimate me, miss Edgeworth." the shadow actor hissed in a vain attempt to salvage his scary villain role, "You never know when your luck will turn in a-"

"Shadow game, right?" Tacey finished, "You're really going to have to work on those lines of yours; you're already repeating yourself."

"It creates dramatic effect!" Kenta growled defensively, now considerably red in the face, "Now make your move so that the shadows can consume you!"

"Whatever you need to tell yourself." Tacey replied, the grin still present on her face, "I draw."

Draw Phase: Royal Emissary

Deck: 33 cards
    Hand: Negate Attack, Dark Seraph Miseres, Royal Emissary
    Field: Court of Nobles (face-up), Royal Justice (1600 Atk/1200 Def), Divine Wrath (face-down), Forced Back (face-down)
    Graveyard: N/A

Deck: 32 cards
    Field: Decoy Dragon (300 Atk/200 Def)
    Graveyard: Trade-in, Tri-Horned Dragon

Tacey's grin only widened when she noted her draw, "I'll start by summoning Royal Emissary."

Accompanied by the usual blur of the hologram software, a familiar, tall figure with a long, billowing cloak appeared on the field, but that was pretty much where the familiar bit ended. Compared to the usual black and white color scheme Tacey was accustomed to, this new figure looked quite striking. He was tall and gaunt, with a statuesque face that looked like it was in its mid-twenties with short, neatly arranged blonde hair and a healthy tan on his skin. He was donning a light, white tunic and matching trousers with a lining of peach-color around the edges of the sleeves and the tall collar, a pair of expensive looking, light brown leather boots on his feet and a long, white cloak with the black and white royal crest embroided on the center billowing behind him, the garments failing to conceal the well-worked muscles beneath them. More imposing than this, however, was the sizable sword hanging casually by his waist, its imposing steel blade and the gilded handle with the light blue pommel gem in the center glinting in the light as he kept an eye on the opposition, all the time maintaining a calm and friendly demeanor. The rich girl knew better than to stare for long this time, however, turning her attention to psyching out the opposition instead.

Ohh...she was going to enjoy this.

"Let's see now..." Tacey continued in a would-be pondering voice, noting the obvious anticipation on his opponent's face (honestly, was this guy supposed to be an actor?) as she stroked her own chin thoughtfully, "I have two strong monsters on my side while all my opponent has out is a single, weak, attack position monster that just happens to have 'Decoy' in its name. What to do, what to do? Well..." she shrugged, "I don't see any trap here so I guess I'll attack. Enter Battle Phase."

A triumphant grin appeared on Kenta's face at this point, its owner apparently oblivious to the fact that this was precisely what Tacey was after.

"Royal Emissary, attack Decoy Dragon!"

"Ah-hah!" Kenta interrupted triumphantly as the blonde figure drew his sword, grasping it with both hands and charging towards the terrified little dragon on the other side, "You have fallen victim to my insidious plan! You see, whenever my Decoy Dragon is attacked I get to-"

"Summon whatever big dragon you dumped into your Graveyard." Tacey finished, much to the shadow actors surprise, "I know."

"You did?" he asked, nonplussed, "Then why-"

"Reveal face-down! Divine Wrath!"

At Tacey's command, the giant card back on her right flipped itself up, revealing the picture of a peculiar machine creature enveloped in a burst of brilliant light descending from the clouded sky up above, "Now given the level of playing skill you've exhibited this far, I think I'd better explain this to you." the rich girl continued in a decidedly patronizing voice, "You see, at the cost of one card from my hand, my Divine Wrath trap card lets me negate the activation of any monster effect, including your Decoy Dragon." she grinned like a cheshire cat, "So much for your brilliant trap." the girl remarked mockingly, "Now, I'll discard." her hand darted towards Miseres' card, but something held her back, causing the girl to stop for a moment. It was the obvious choice for the discard, so why...why was she hesitating? Why couldn't she bring herself to do it? Sure, Judai probably wouldn't even have thought of discarding a duel spirit, but he was an idiot who treated playing cards like people. He would have melted at the pathetic little puppy dog eyes the gray-clad angel was giving her at the moment, but Tacey wasn't like that...was she? Annoyed at her hesitance and not wanting to ruin her appearance completely, the girl finally reached a decision, cursing her soft, sentimental little heart all the way, "I discard Negate Attack."

As the purple card was slipped into her Graveyard slot, the card effect finally came to life, a burst of light very similar to the one in the illustration struck down from above, causing the dragon on Kenta's field to disappear with a last, piteous little squeak. Miseres was looking ecstatic, but Tacey forestalled any unwanted 'thank you's she might have given, "Don't even start." she mumbled quietly, "I've got a reputation to uphold." raising her voice to an audible level again as she turned back to smacking down her opponent, "We're not done yet." she announced, "Whenever I negate the effect or summon any of your cards, my Royal Justice's effect is activated. First off, you lose 500 of your life points." the rich girl nodded towards the more dignified one of her monsters, the old figure raising his right hand in a decidedly authoritative manner as he flicked the lawbook open, a red aura briefly surrounding Kenta as the decreed number of life points was deducted from his counter, "But that's not all." Tacey continued conversationally, "Since you committed this crime within the Court of Nobles, there's an additional penalty." at her words, the Justice pointed an a wrinkled finger at the far right card in Kenta's Hand, "One card from your hand is discarded."

His opponent gave no response, merely sulking as he slipped the designated card into his graveyard.

"And what's more..." Tacey continued, "Since your monster was destroyed before my emissary got to attack it, we get a replay battle. Royal Emissary, attack that buffoon directly!"

The blonde figure nodded, lunging forward with his sword drawn once more. This time, however, he went straight for Kenta, delivering a devastating two-handed slash down the center of his body and claiming a good fourth of his life points in the process, "Royal Justice, your turn!"

Unlike his companion, the judge did not rush in the least, merely walking over to the Asian duelist in an ever-dignified manner as he raised the heavy tome in his hand, delivering a smack straight over his target's face before walking back to Tacey's side of the Field, "Turn end."

"This..." Kenta persisted, "This isn't over yet, miss Edgeworth! I draw!"

Deck: 33 cards
    Hand: Dark Seraph Miseres
    Field: Court of Nobles (face-up), Forced Back (face-down), Royal Justice (1600 Atk/1200 Def), Royal Emissary (2200 Atk/ 1600 Def)
    Graveyard: Divine Wrath, Negate Attack

Life Points: 3700
    Deck: 30 cards
    Graveyard: Trade-in, Tri-Horned Dragon, Decoy Dragon, Felgrand Dragon

"Lo and behold!" the shadow actor proclaimed, holding up the card he had just drawn in a decidedly amateurish manner, "The instrument of your defeat. I Normal Summon, Kaiser Wing!"

Tacey had to admit slight surprise to this, seeing as how the card in question was brand spanking new, but by the looks of it the shadow actor's plays hadn't gotten any better, so she was truly not bothered, even as a thunderous roar erupted from the simulation software, the silhouette of a sizable draconic creature in possession of no less than two pairs of wings began taking shape on Kenta's field, "Activate face-down, Forced Back!"

The appearance of the monster was stopped in its tracks as the second giant face-down card flipped itself upright, a brilliant veil of white surrounding the creature and causing it to vanish, "As you should know, though I have all confidence in your ability not to..." Tacey continued, "Forced Back can negate any normal summon and send the returned monster straight back to the owner's hand. And I trust you remember what happens when I negate one of your moves?"

Kenta grit his teeth as another 500 points were deducted from his counter, casting a desperate glance at the cards in his hand, one of which was duly tossed into the graveyard once more, "I...I'll set three cards end my turn."

Tacey was hardly impressed by the three giant card backs appearing on her opponent's field. She knew a desperate bluff when she saw one, and her opponent's poker face was terrible. This game was over.

"I draw." she declared.

Draw Phase: Mirror Force

Deck: 32 cards
    Hand: Dark Seraph Miseres, Mirror Force
    Field: Court of Nobles (face-up), Royal Justice (1600 Atk/1200 Def), Royal Emissary (2200 Atk/ 1600 Def)
    Graveyard: Divine Wrath, Negate Attack

Life Points: 3200
    Deck: 30 cards
    Hand: 2 cards
    Field: 3x Spell or Trap (face-down)
    Graveyard: Trade-in, Tri-Horned Dragon, Decoy Dragon, Felgrand Dragon, Kaiser Wing

Tacey nodded for herself, even if - against all expectation - this clown had a face-down worth springing, Mirror Force would keep the him off her back and create precisely the kind of opening she needed to finish the job with a later monster. All she really had to do was enter her battle phase and wipe out the opposition, but...a malicious little grin spread across her face.

"I summon Dark Seraph Miseres."

Not altogether unexpectedly, her opponent gave a reaction as the grey-clad angel appeared on Tacey's Field, looking far more expectant than miserable as her glance traveled back and forth between the two other monsters on the field.

"Miseres?" Kenta inquired, "But that's Nicholas'-"

"That's the end of this game." Tacey interrupted, "Royal Justice, direct attack!" the shadow actor was given no time to articulate his thoughts further as a heavy lawbook came sailing towards him, striking him square on the nose, "Miseres, you're up."

Snapping her attention away from the holographic scenery around her, the spirit nodded, an unusually determined look on her face as she raised both of her hands into the air, a ball of dark energy assembling between her palms. Once the projectile had reached its full - if rather unimpressive - size, Miseres turned both arms forward, pointing them straight at Kenta as she fired the blob of energy at the shadow actor. It barely made a scratch on the life points, and Tacey could just as well have skipped this and just gone straight with the emissary, but seeing the seraph's triumphant expression she knew that that wasn't the point. It was the gesture that counted here, "Royal Emissary, finish him!"

And so, with a last, devastating swing from the blonde creature's blade, the duel was over.

OOC: In case you're wondering...yeah, there's a reason for the sudden graphics change (other than the fact that I was sort of not satisfied with what I did with them the first time around). It ties in with how I'm planning to land Tacey with the Hereditary Title trap card and will be explained later on. ;D Oh, and hope you don't mind the new format I'm using. It's just a way for me to keep better track of the battle since I realized that it's really confusing and tedious to keep going back to check the stats on all these fake cards, not to mention keep track of what has been played etc. :3

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan did his best to hold back laughter as Tacey proceeded to completely obliterate one of the shadow actors in a move he could only term as "completely and utterly hilarious". Behind the laughter, however, two points of inquiry took hold of Achan's mind. The first was the new color scheme of Royal Emissary and the change in the Court of Nobles. Achan knew that Miseres was a duel spirit Tacey had recently acquired. Perhaps the change in decor was somehow linked? After all, invisible walls, creepy dimensions and fusions of humans and duel spirits had already been established as possible. Changes in hologram decor certainly weren't out of the question. Rolling his eyes, Achan turned to face Armstrong who was apparently bawling. "So, your partner goes out in about five seconds without inflicting a single life point of damage. Please tell me you're a little bit stronger. Otherwise, this duel won't be any fun." A wide grin spread across Achan's leering face.

Armstrong, on the other hand, had returned to his "villain" act. Raising the arm Achan had twisted earlier, he pointed one finger at Tacey. "You'll be next," he declared. His piece thus said, the duelist inserted his deck into its slot in the middle of the KC duel disk strapped to his arm.

Achan copied his opponent's motions as he continued the banter. "Yeah, whatever. Much as I'd enjoy watching Tacey sweat a little, you're going to have to get past me first. Frankly, I don't think you're capable of making her sweat even on the off chance that you could get past me, which you won't. So give up and stop trying."

Armstrong opened his mouth to reply before quickly shutting it. "Perspiration-obsessed meanie," he muttered under his breath as the duel began.

Achan smirked. "Seeing as we want to get this over quickly, I'll go first. Draw!"

Duelist: Achan
    LP-8000
    Hand: Marauding Captain, Wandering Mage, Soul Taker, Royal Decree, Dominance Battalion.
    Draw Phase: Twister
    Monsters: None
    Back Row: None
    Graveyard: None
    Removed Pile: None

"I'll lead off by summoning Wandering Mage in attack position and setting two cards. Any questions?" Achan asked as the red-cloaked warrior appeared, strange weapon in hand, followed by the backs of two cards.

Armstrong was momentarily confused as he shook his head. "No, not really. Why?"

If Achan could have facepanned, he would have. "That was a rhetorical question, numskull."

"Hey, my skull is NOT numb!" Armstrong protested. "And it's my turn anyway... Meanie!"

Achan shrank away from the large, blonde-haired duelist. "Er.... what on earth is wrong with you?"

"It is you there is something wrong with... Meanie!"

"Stop calling me that!" Achan snapped.

Duelist: Armstrong, "The Muscle"
    Hand: Six Cards
    Back Row: None
    Monsters: None
    RFG: None
    LP-8000

Armstrong grinned sardonically, the immaturity of a moment ago replaced by a cool and collected grin. Meticulously leafing through the cards in his hand, he selected two. "Let's see... I'll set one monster and one card, ending my turn." His eyes sparked as he held up three fingers. "I can win in three turns."

Achan shook his head. "Not if I win first," he replied.

Duelist: Achan
    Hand: Soul Taker, Marauding Captain, Dominance Battalion
    Draw Phase: Limit Break-Bestialize
    Face-Down: Royal Decree, Twister
    Field Monsters: Wandering Mage
    Lp-8000

"Okay, prepare to experience a world of hurt," Achan stated as he grinned at his hand. "I'm about to cut your life points completely in two."

"You're a meanie if you do," Armstrong replied, his face now contorted into a position that strongly reminded Achan of a little kid during a temper tantrum.

Achan couldn't help being weirded out. What was it with this guy? It was as if he was being immature on purpose. Hoping to hasten the duel along and escape his enemy's clutches quickly, Achan slapped his next monster onto the duel disk quickly. "Eh... I summon Marauding Captain!"

The knight appeared, his dirty blonde hair rumpled as it draped slightly over his scarred left eye while he unsheathed a pair of golden-hilted blades. Sweeping his red cloak to the side dramatically, he leaned on the larger blade while his tarnished armor creaked. Achan was quick to explain what the monster's presence on the field entailed. "On the turn I summon Marauding Captain, I also get to summon another level four or lower monster from my hand. In this case, I think I'll be summoning Dominance Battlion, or as I like to call him, an army of one." Achan grinned malevolently as he anticipated the amount of pain his opponent was about to feel. "Oh man... you're going to wish that you'd never been born."

Armstrong gaped as a massive curved sword at least a foot taller than Achan fell from the sky into a zone next to Achan's feet. It was immediately followed by the heavy, iron footsteps of a warrior in armor that obscured its body entirely. Heavy, interlocking plates void of any design and obviously forged from some form of adamantine metal glistened in nonexistent sunlight as the monster reached its hand forward and grabbed the blade, hefting it without problem. The twelve-foot-tall warrior's iron mask kept its face from sight as it roared a challenge to the face-down monster on Armstrong's field. Since the face-down did not and could not respond, the monster angrily strode forward and hammered its blade directly through the backing of the set monster, reducing it to dust.

"Hey!" Armstrong protested angrily, "What gives? You didn't tell that think to attack!"

"Oh no, you're just too bright," Achan replied as he adjusted his sunglasses. "Don't think too hard, or you may hurt that marvelous brain of yours. No, I didn't order Dominance Battalion to attack. That is because when Dominance Battalion is special summoned, it is allowed to destroy any one monster free of charge." Achan decided to neglect mentioning that he had no clue how the monster had known his target would be Armstrong's face-down, but he dismissed those thoughts momentarily. After all, there were card games to be won. "Anyway, I'll be attacking your life points directly now, so... bye-bye!"

Armstrong cringed as the Wandering Mage leapt into the air like an acrobat before aiming his golden weapon at the German duelist and releasing a bolt of golden magical energy that remarkably resembled a gunshot. Next, the German duelist was forced to suffer through a worn sword to the chest as Marauding Captain rushed forward and attacked. To Achan's chagrin, he was forced to watch an entirely too annoying pantomime as Armstrong fell to the ground, clutching his bosom as if mortally wounded. To the further dismay of the starfish-haired American, this act continued for onwards of five minutes as his opponent flailed and gurgled like a baby whose bottle had just been taken away, comically gasping for breath. Seeing that Armstrong had no intention of finishing his death throes anytime soon Achan turned to Dominance Battalion, who in reply turned his immense metal head towards Achan. Surprised by the efficiency of this hologram, Achan muttered, "Will you put him out of his misery?" and jerked a finger in the direction of Armstrong. On impulse, he reached up and passed a finger through the armored bulk of his monster. Unsurprisingly, the finger passed easily through the holographic projection as D.B. nodded and marched off, his horned helmet glinting, in the direction of Armstrong. What did surprise Achan, however, was the feeling in his wrist. It was as if he had plunged that hand into a bucket of ice water. Shaking off his feelings at the weirdness of the situation, Achan decided to simply turn his head and watch the fun as Dominance Battalion's leaden steps reached Armstrong.

Raising his head, the German duelist faced the massive metal monster and cut short his gurgles. "Oh..." he began, just as the creature lifted its blade. Cutting short his expletive as the gigantic sword shot through his body, effectively cleaving another massive amount from his life point total. His work done, the ironclad giant stepped back towards Achan.

The fiery-haired duelist smirked at his opponent before rolling his eyes. "If you hadn't been so busy freaking out, you might have had a chance to activate that set card to help you out. I end my turn."

Armstrong spluttered in anger as he rose to his feet. "Well, here's something you didn't notice. You've just lost a thousand life points."

"Wha-oh, the face-down," Achan realized as he stared at his LP counter, which did indeed read seven thousand. "Wait, don't tell me, let me guess.... Marshmallon?"

"Yes! And if you think that's scary, wait until you see the other monsters in my deck," the demented German replied, cackling and rubbing his hands together like a mad scientist.

Achan facepanned like a professional. Quickly recovering, he reprimanded his opponent. "What is it, do you have MPD or something? What's with the kicking and screaming and melodrama one moment and then the sadistic villain shtick the next? Are you some kind of maniac?"

Interpreting Achan's question as a song request, Armstrong shot into one of his poorly planned dance routines while providing his own background music. "He's a Maniac-Maniac on the floor... And he's dancing like he never danced before..."

Achan decided to chalk his opponent up as a basket case immediately so as to save himself the trouble of debating over it. "Just finish your next turn with a move that actually makes sense, please," he begged.

Armstrong began with aplomb. "While certainly, Herr Smith. I shall be honored to make sense of your psyche. Now let us start with your childhood," he began, his voice now returned to its native German accent.

"THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!" Achan shouted, the veins on his forehead bulging.

"Have it your way. I've always wanted to be psychoanalyzed by Freud," Armstrong replied indignantly, finally preparing to begin his move.

"I can see why," Achan muttered.

Duelist-Achan
    LP-7000
    Hand: Soul Taker, Limit Break-Beastialize
    Back Row: Royal Decree (set), Twister
    Monsters: Dominance Battalion (Atk 1800), Marauding Captain (Atk 1200), Wandering Mage (Atk 1300)

Duelist-Armstrong
    LP-3700
    Hand: Five Cards (counting draw this turn)
    Field: No Monsters, one set card.
    Graveyard: Marshmallon.

"And now for the big finale! Ready?" Armstrong asked as he clapped his hands together eagerly. Seeing no reaction from Achan, Armstrong adopted a momentary pout. "Fine, seeing as the meanie doesn't care about what I do, I'll just summon a monster. Check out my sweet new monster: Giant Rat!"

Achan cringed at the sight of a massive brown rodent appearing on his opponent's side of the field. The creature sat up on its haunches, looking Achan over with its beady, red eyes as it rubbed its hands (claws?) together. The American duelist was puzzled. "Er... you're going to attempt to run me over with a big rat?"

"Well, yes. I mean, it has higher attack points than your captain, right? What do I have to lose?" Armstrong replied. "Anyway, I read articles about dueling online that said decks with Giant Rat in them are really, really strong." The German nodded his head sagely.

Achan didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "Wait a minute here. Are you saying that you included a random level four recruiting monster in your deck because you read that someone else had a strong deck with it? I mean, do you even know how to use its effect?"

Armstrong smirked. "Yes, I do. But I can tell you one thing: I don't need rat's effect to win. It'll eat away at you all on its own. You may as well give up now, seeing as there's no way you can possibly beat me. After all, I'm the man who has miracle draw!"

Achan was surprised at hearing this term again, but he responded tactfully. "Right, sure you are. Put your cards where your mouth is and blow me away, then."

Armstrong was all business once again. "Right. Anyway, I activate my trap card, Torrential Tribute!" he grinned malevolently.

Achan gasped in mock horror, though his intonation was lost on Armstrong. "No way!"

"Oh, way. And now the way belongs to me, for I am the king of the way!" Armstrong laughed maniacally while waiting for the effect of his trap card to destroy all monsters on the field. To his surprise, nothing happened. Angrily, he turned to Achan in order to ask "All right, what gives?" only to see that one of Achan's set cards was now face-up.

"Royal Decree. Prevents any other trap cards from working. I flipped it while you were blabbering about beating me." Achan smirked.

Stamping his foot and pouting, Armstrong made the only move he could and ordered his rat to attack Marauding captain. Achan smiled in satisfaction, knowing the duel was his. "I believe it was my move?"

Duelist-Achan
    LP-6800
    Monsters: Dominance Battalion (Atk 1800), Wandering Mage (Atk 1300)
    Back Row: Royal Decree (In play), Twister (set)
    Hand: Soul Taker, Limit Break-Bestialize
    Draw Phase: Wandering Hero
    Graveyard: Marauding Captain

Duelist-Armstrong
    LP-3700
    Hand: Dark Magician, Mystic Tomato, Zaborg the Thunder Monarch, Destiny Hero-Malicious
    Field: Giant Rat, no set cards.
    Graveyard: Marshmallon, Torrential Tribute

Achan smirked. It was time for a rush finish. "I'll start by summoning a Wandering Hero!" he announced, watching his monster materialize. The trim, fit Hero tossed his brown cloak outwards, drawing his blade from beneath the chainmail doublet he wore. Adjusting the dragon-skull helmet that obscured his face, the Hero prepared for a charge. Not finished yet, Achan announched his next move. "I'll be using Wandering Hero's ability to discard Soul Taker from my hand and equip him with United We Stand!" At the words of his controller, the Hero held his hand in the air, where it was immediately encased in a golden gauntlet, which immediately began augmenting the strength of its wielder by absorbing the power of Dominance Battalion and Wandering Mage. Smiling hungrily, Achan decided to go out with a bang. Selecting the one card remaining in his hand, he slipped it into his duel disk. "And if you thought my Wandering Mage looked creepy before..." he leered, "Wait until you see his transformation. I pay half my life points in order to activate Limit Break-Bestialize!"

The Wandering Mage shook as a burst of energy surrounded him. Shuddering, he collapsed to the ground as his garments ripped to shreds, revealing a purple-skinned body tipped with a long, reptilian tail. Claws shot from his hands and feet as he levered himself from the ground. The monster's eyes gleamed a feral yellow as horns burst from his foreheard and a ridge of spikes sprouted along his spinal column. As a final touch, the face elongated itself into a wolflike muzzle. Newly reborn, the Mage howled as his attack points shot off the charts. Achan grinned as he launched into an explanation. "By activating this particular spell card, I can return my Wandering Mage to his true form. In this state, he's almost unstoppable, with three thousand attack points..." Achan paused for effect, "And the ability to inflict damage to your life points equal to the attack points of any monster he destroys!" Armstrong cringed in terror as the beast stepped forward, opening its massive maw. Achan barked the command it had been waiting for. "Wandering Mage, attack! Gallian Fare!" The monster obeyed, gathering an orb of red energy to its mouth and releasing it in a fiery holocaust, which completely incinerated Giant Rat. Achan stared at Armstrong, who picked himself back up quickly. "Well, activate Rat's effect already!"

Armstrong shook his head after reading the effect text on the card. "I don't have any other earth-type monsters in my deck! I just threw my deck together with random duel spirits people gave me!" His next move caught Achan completely by surprise. "P-Please don't attack me with that thing! It'll rip my head off!" he pleaded, pointing to Dominance Battalion.

Achan would have written this off as another of Armstrong's outbursts if it weren't for the fact that tears were running from the duelist's eyes. This wasn't an act calculated to throw off Achan's timing or otherwise annoy him. This was real terror. And now that Achan thought about it, he could feel something emanating from Dominance Battalion. As he turned to face the monster, he identified it. Malice and rage were inexplicably pouring from the creature out towards the helpless figure of Armstrong. Achan didn't know how or why, but he knew that for some reason his monster held a grudge against the shadow actor, and if he allowed his monster to attack the beast could and would inflict harm on his opponent. Shaking off the cold feeling within him, Achan made the next best order. "Wandering Hero, attack!"

The Hero's blade ended the duel, causing the life-size holograms to dissapear. Achan hastily returned his cards to his deck before striding towards Armstrong. "Alright, spill it. What's going on here?"

Armstrong shook his head. "If I told you, then I'd be dead," he replied, before launching a surprise left hook to Achan's face and sprinting away, only to run face-first into Kenta's still-active barrier.

Achan was amazed. "Even when he's being intelligent, he's still an idiot."

OOC: Yes, randomness. Ahem. The reason behind Armstrong's bizarre deck is that he labors under the delusion that since duel spirits tend to jump into the player's hand exactly when they are needed, by filling his deck with them he can effectively draw into whatever he wants, creating the ultimate toolbox. Unfortunately, while he has captured enough duel spirits to power an army they are all way too disjointed and occasionally downright useless to function as a deck. As for Dominance Battalion being one monster and not a battalion of them... don't ask about the logic break. Oh, and Armstrong's act throughout the duel is just his way of annoying Achan. Next post should include an update on Manjyoume and a deactivation of the barrier, if you please, since a key plot point hinges on his and Judai's arrival. :3

Oh, and if I made a misplay with Decree don't hesitate to tell me so.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • OOC: Actually, your only misplay was with Marshmallon. Since it was destroyed face-down and by card effect (when its effect specifies an attack against Marshmallon) the burn effect would not be triggered. :3

IC:

In Tacey's mind, there was only one word to describe these shadow actors: pathetic.

Actually, 'utterly pathetic' would have been fully appropriate too, but that would have contradicted the whole 'one word' thing. Point was: these two had been wasting her time, to not even having been able to beat Achan...how pitiful. Armstrong efficiently knocking himself unconscious against his partner's barrier only highlighted just how pitiful the situation was.

None of this seemed to bother Miseres, however, the spirit still bouncing back and forth in excitement, "And then I hit the bad guy straight on the face!" she chirped triumphantly, "Didya' see me, huh? Didya'?"

"Yes, yes, it was very impressive, Miseres." Pikeru attempted encouragingly, the slight lack of conviction in her voice not bothering the grey-clad spirit in the least, "I told you that Tacey would let you shine."

"Blah, blah, blah." Curran huffed, her arms still folded defiantly, "I could have done better with one hand tied behind my back."

"Could not!" Miseres retorted.

"Could too!" Curran insisted, turning to face her adversary.

"Nu-uh!"

"Uh-huh!"

"You're just jealous!" the angelic spirit remarked, poking her tongue out at Curran.

"Of what? That grey potato sack you're wearing?" the princess returned the gesture, "Get real, angel wings!"

"Well at least I'm not the one with a silly bunny hood!" Miseres retorted.

"What did you say?!"

"You heard me!"

"Potato sack!"

"Bunny hood!"

"Crybaby!"

"Grouch!"

Noting the growing tension, Pikeru tried to float over between the arguing parties, raising her hands in a calming gesture, "Please...calm down, both of you."

"You stay out of this!"

The perfectly synchronized objections from both briefly caught the white-clad spirit off guard, but she quickly regained her composure, starting off a lecture for the both of them and effectively turning the situation into a three-corner fight.

Tacey, meanwhile, was focused on something completely different. Namely, her humiliated opponent, who was currently trying to shake his partner awake.

"Armstrong, you idiot! Wake up!" he hollered, shaking the German duelist roughly as he attempted to drag his body upright before shooting a warning glare at both teens, "You got lucky this time." he announced, dismissing the barrier with a snap of his fingers before running off towards a nearby corridor, his partner in tow, all the while trying to maintain their image by shouting over his shoulder, "But just you wait, we'll meet again, and in the second act the villains will-!"

"Do what, precisely?"

Much like Tacey before him, Kenta found his escape blocked by a sizable blockade of black-blazered duelist.

Make that a foul-tempered, black-blazered duelist, surrounded by three far less imposing-looking gremlins.

"I knew that your acting was too bad to be for real." Manjoume remarked coldly, glaring at the shadow actors, "That barrier, it was your work, wasn't it? Out with it! Who are you working for and where did you get those powers of yours?" he adjusted his position a bit to block the duo's escape route completely, "Answer, or prepare to face the wrath of Manjoume Sanda!"

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • OOC: Alright, I'm not correcting the misplay yet since it was pretty minor (and against my own character as well xD). Sorry for the delay in posting, btw, I have a debate meet tomorrow and I needed to buckle down and study. (No, attempting to do sidequests in FFX really had nothing to do with it, I swear.) Erm... why don't I just posting now?

Kenta and Armstrong quivered in fear as Manjoume entered the room like a black-blazered avenging angel, minus wings, halo and sword. With no escape route open Kenta attempted to muscle his way past Achan, only to come into contact with a very angry group of theater patrons whose plans to attend a performance of Springtime for Kaiba had been interrupted by a very large barrier. The faces of one and all bore expressions of anger that could have caused a slab of solid granite to crumble in fear. Realizing that the front door barrier had been less-than-selective about who it kept out, Kenta and Armstrong attempted one final method of escape. Raising his partner over his head, Armstrong hurled the badly-costumed Asian over the heads of the theatre-goers before making a mad dash himself, barely breaking through the crowd of irate duelists.

Achan couldn't help wondering at this spectacle. "I don't get it. That guy has enough strength to muscle his way through a crowd of angry duelists but he gives in when I twist his wrist? I mean, the powers that be must be enjoying all the little logic breaks they insert into life," he complained.

"Doesn't like getting his wrist twisted? Good to know, Sumisu-kun," a familiar red-blazered duelist stated as he rested a hand on Achan's shoulder.

Achan performed a quick about-face in embarassment. "Judai! How did you get here?"

"Through the front door," Judai replied. "Anyway, I have a couple of idiots to tie down. If you'll excuse me..." Rubbing his hands together, Judai dashed after both Shadow Actors with surprising speed before grabbing both by the shoulders and frog-marching them back to the rest of the company. Ignoring the struggles of both captives, he flashed a trademark grin to the rest of the company. "All right you two. Talk or I'll flush your decks down the toilet," he threatened.

Kenta shook his head. "No amount of children's trading cards is worth what our Master will do to us if he finds out we talked," he countered.

""No hablo ingles. Hablas Espanol?" Armstrong chimed in, his face now graced with a very large fake nose and moustache combination disguise.

Judai shook his head. "Alright, I suppose I'll have to let you go..." he began, before jerking his head in the direction of the angry duelists, "But I doubt they'll let you get off so easily."

Kenta drew himself up to his full, unimpressive height. Unaware that this action had completely lost its dramatic effect due to the fact that he was suspended in mid-air, he attempted to salvage some of his lost dignity. "Well, better to lose our lives to lovers of the arts and die heroes then to betray the organization and have the master execute us as traitors! Do your worst, we'll never talk!" Finished blustering, he turned to his partner. "Right, Armstrong?"

"I'LL TALK! I'LL TALK! PLEASE DON'T FLUSH OUR DECKS DOWN THE TOILET AND GIVE US TO A GROUP OF ANGRY DUELISTS!" the German blubbered.

Kenta rolled his eyes. "You're a real hero, captain. A real hero."

Armstrong considerably brightened up. "Why yes, of course I am!"

Judai smiled. "Yes, you are. Now why don't you tell me what who your master is, and what he wants with all these spirits, hmm?"

Armstrong opened his mouth to reply, only to fall victim to a coughing fit. Judai waited patiently for him to recover before repeating the question. Once again, Armstrong attempted to answer the question only to have his thoughts interrupted by yet another fit of coughing, followed by his raising of both hands to his throat as if to pry loose the clutch of invisible fingers. Kenta intervened quickly. "I'll talk, I'll tell you whatever you want! Just stop hurting Armstrong!" he pleaded. The moment his voice died away, he too was seized. Judai dropped both actors quickly as he stared in amazement. "It's like somebody is choking them," he breathed.

Armstrong face was already blue and Kenta's was fast on its way to becoming like it. A hideous, crackling voice resounded throughout the room. "Fools. I told you that death would be swift and painful if you betrayed me. Now feel my retribution! Such is the fate of all who oppose me!" A burst of wind howled and then, suddenly, all was still. Nothing remained of Kenta and Armstrong but their costumes and duel disks, still complete with decks.

Judai's face paled. "We go. Now. Before anyone can connect us to their dissapearance," he whispered before racing for the door. Achan, torn between his horror at the sight he had just witnessed and his desire to leave the theatre snatched up Armstrong's duel disk and costume. Perhaps there was something in there that could help point to the real identity of these shadowy people. Turning to Tacey he muttered a quick "We'd better get going," before turning to follow Judai.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Tacey was speechless, quite the rare occurrence all by itself. Oh, she had heard Judai rant about children's card games being a matter of life and death and she was no stranger to threatening people with all sorts of horrible things, but...

...she was used to it being just that; talk. Even though she had whole-heartedly supported the notion of handing the two clowns over to a mob of angry theater patrons, the thought that any of it could possibly go beyond the odd bruise and possibly one of them getting duct-taped to a flagpole had never even occurred to her. It was all in good fun, it wasn't like...like that. The moment she had realized that the choking was no act, the rich girl's face had gone paler than her beautiful, white linen sheets. The expressions of sheer terror and the desperately pleading gestures the shadow actors had made had her completely mesmerized, much like a bystander witnessing a gruesome traffic accident, even as her stomach churned uncomfortably. The way this mystery villain had disposed of his two servants, just like that...no hesitation or remorse at all, no consideration, it was like-like-

The knot in Tacey's stomach tightened. It was just like her, wasn't it? If a servant can't do his job, dispose of him and get a better one. Because there's always a better one. If a servant values his job that much, he should do it better, shouldn't he? It was all their fault, after all; she had never done any wrong. She wasn't the one who had failed. Judai's suggestion fell on deaf ears, Tacey's gaze still locked on the remains of the two people she had hated so much a few moments ago but whom she now felt nothing but pity for.

"He killed them..." she mumbled to no-one in particular, apparently oblivious to the world around her, a finger still pointed at the pile of possessions that had once been the shadow actors as Achan's words eluded her just like Judai's, "He killed them just like that. For losing one, stupid card game." a tiny drop of moisture pressed out from her left eye, "How can someone just-"

"Snap out of it, Edgeworth!" the voice of the older duelist betrayed no emotion save a hint of annoyance as a cold, pale hand gripped her wrist, forcefully dragging the girl in its wake as its owner made his way in the same direction as the others.

"Snap out of it?!" Tacey echoed shrilly, glaring at Manjoume as she made a feeble attempt at resisting the far stronger male's pull, "How can you say that?! He just k-mmmph!"

"Shut up." the black-blazered duelist hissed harshly, his second hand now firmly clamped over the girl's mouth, "For once in your life, Edgeworth, shut up. Do you really want to stay here and try to explain what just happened here to everyone?"

"Mmmph..."

"Thought so."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The moment they had gotten outside of the chaotic theater and out of the growing crowd's immediate attention, Tacey was relieved to note that Manjoume's hygienically suspect hand left her mouth, but this small bit of relief was nothing compared to the emotions raging inside her as the black-blazered duelist calmly dusted off his clothes, as if this was all routine for him.

"Well, that could have gone smoother." he remarked casually.

Tacey was appalled, "Is that all you can say?" she asked, the pitch of her voice still a few octaves above pleasant, "Two people just died! Isn't anyone else bothered by this?" she turned to Judai and Achan in turn, "ANYONE?!"

"That's how shadow games work." Manjoume retorted, "I told you to keep out of it, but you just had to meddle all the same, didn't you?"

"I-" the rich girl desperately sought a retort but failed to find one, chosing to focus on maintaining her rapidly slipping composure instead. She would not cry; not in front of Achan, not matter what. "I didn't know it would be like this..."

"You and everyone else." the black-blazered duelist replied, "It's all fun and children's card games until somebody loses their soul, isn't it?" he gave a tired sigh, turning his glance towards his partner, "We should move. We might have broken out of this one ambush, but there's no telling if there are more of those shadow duelists about and besides; the police may make a sweep."

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan shuddered, realizing the truth of Tacey's statement. Those people had been eaten alive by the shadow power, and all he had thought of was the insanity of the situation and his curiosity over what had happened. Guilt swept over him momentarily, before he realized something important. "You know, we never actually saw them die," he said, the faintest trace of hope present in his voice. "They vanished before they could suffocate. Maybe they just got fired?"

Judai shook his head. "I doubt it," he sighed. "Unless their master has something to gain by keeping them alive, I don't think that he would let them survive to talk about his plans. If he was willing to use his powers to remove them and cause them bodily harm for talking, I don't think he's going to give them a chance to do so again. Those two have just played their last shadowgame."

Achan couldn't believe it. "Then we... I helped kill them. If I hadn't defeated Armstrong, that other guy wouldn't have removed the barrier, and if he had left the barrier up, you two couldn't have interrogated him. And if you hadn't done that-"

Judai's hand clapped onto Achan's shoulder. "Don't waste your breath or time thinking about those two. They were monsters, and they deserved what they had coming to them."

Achan couldn't believe that those words had come from Judai's mouth. "What did you-"

"I said that they deserved it. Those two have separated friends, turned living spirits into slaves, and manipulated others for their own benefit. They've killed people, sealed spirits that should be allowed to roam free, and essentially done it all for profit. At least that Nicholas guy thought he was protecting people. Those two caught and tortured spirits for fun." Judai shook his head. "They messed with forces beyond their own control, and now it's paying them back. Don't waste your time on feeling guilty."

Achan's face paled until the coloration was completely absent. "You..."

"I'm not saying that it was right to kill them, I'm just saying that you shouldn't feel guilty about it. They knew what would happen if they sided with this guy, and they didn't care." Judai's answer was slightly more tinged with compassion this time.

Achan stared at Judai, his face inexpressive. "I'm going home," he stated abruptly. "I have things to think about. You guys can stay here if you want."

Judai shook his head. "Manjoume and I need to stick with the two of you. If Edgeworth-san is being targeted, she could very well be attacked again. We need to stay together if we're going to be on the streets."

"Fine, one of you can walk home with me, I don't care. Look, this isn't any of my business anyway. I don't have any duel spirits, so they won't be looking for me." Achan turned and began marching down the path towards home. "We can talk about all of this tomorrow, or on MSN if we have to. Just look for 'FantasyDesigner123", all one word, 'F' and 'D' capitalized." With his parting remarks made, Achan strode silently away.

Judai shook his head. "Manjoume, what is MSN? I don't do computers," he complained.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Tacey just couldn't find any words to express her emotions as Judai essentially joined into Manjoume's opinion. Granted, he made a good point, but still...the girl's dislike for her current company only intensified. And this guy had been scolding Nicholas? Didn't he see that he was being just as cruel to people as the goth was to spirits? Supreme king indeed...it didn't matter how bad the person was, you just didn't kill people over children's card games! It was an unwritten rule like-like that you should eat civilized!

Though she would never have admitted to it, Tacey would actually have preferred for Achan to stay. It wasn't that she was starting to like starfish-head -- no way! He was still a jerk with a bad fashion sense, but he...he was a normal jerk. He was human. These two on the other hand...the rich girl's pride was the only thing that kept her from shuddering as she glanced at the two older duelists, one of whom was currently explaining instant messaging to his partner in a bored tone that would have done a tech support clerk proud. So what if they were on her side? They were still creepy.

"You two..." Tacey hissed at both, sounding very much like a cornered little kitten trying to put on a tough act, "You're horrible, both of you! Just-just leave me alone!"

Without another word, the rich girl made a dash towards the streets. Manjoume attempted to intercept once more, but this time Tacey was prepared for him.

"Don't you dare touch me!" she spat out in her most murderous voice, giving the black-blazered duelist a powerful kick straight to his shin, causing him to flinch for long enough for the girl to dash past.

"Where the Chtonia did that come from?!" Manjoume spat out, massaging his assaulted limb before turning to face Judai, "Don't tell me we're actually dashing after that brat again."

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Judai scratched the side of his head quizzically. "I'm not sure. She obviously doesn't want to be around us, but we can't just let her wander off. She could be ambushed again. It's the same with Sumisu-kun, despite what he said. They could attack him to get to Edgeworth-san. Hmm... what to do, what to do," he murmured, stroking his chin.

An angry duel spirit popped from behind Judai's shoulder before striking him over the forehead with a tiny wing. Kuri, Kuri! it chirped indignantly.

It hit Judai like a bullet train. "Of course! We don't have to follow them at all. We just need to send a few helpers after them." Grinning, he pulled a pair of cards from his deck. "Let's see... Sumisu-kun isn't that hard to keep tabs on because he can't see spirits, but we should probably send someone stealthier after Edgeworth-san. On the other hand, if they end up bumping into each other then Edgeworth will see the spirit following Sumisu-kun and we'll be found out, so... got it! Black Panther and Air Hummingbird!"

The air shimmered as spirits unveiled themselves to Judai and Manjoume, the one a large, humanoid creature with a birdlike head and wings decked out in red feathers; the other one a large black panther with tufted ears whose back was currently graced by a green cape. Winking to both creatures, Judai pointed down the road. "Hummingbird, keep as high in the air as you are able and track Edgeworth-san. Panther, stay low to the ground and follow Sumisu-kun."

The spirits exchanged glances before prowling and flying after their respective targets.

Achan felt the hot tears threatening to spill. Why was it that everything in this stupid tournament was stacked against him? First his rival turned out to have magical powers, then he got thrown onto a team with two psychos who apparently didn't care if somebody got killed after they were defeated in a card game? And top it off, he hadn't even managed to make a showing of "The Duelists". He had promised himself that he would make a Broadway musical if he could. He had broken his promise in order to play a stupid card game against a pair of psychotic idiots who had been killed just for losing. He bit his lip. Hanging out with Tacey for a day, unappetizing as it was, seemed to him at that moment highly preferable to another minute in the company of Judai or Manjoume after the way they had treated the two dead actors. Tacey had been right: Judai was a lunatic.

It was, ironically, at that moment that Achan tread on the panther's tail.

His foot felt as if it had been frozen, and to make things worse the panther had leaped through Achan the moment the hapless teenager had tread on his tail. The icewater double-whammy was too much for Achan, and it sent him reeling backwards where he landed on his derriere. Predictably, he landed directly in front of the person he least wanted to look like an idiot in front of.

"Tacey? Are... you okay?" he asked, staring at the heiress, who appeared to be in the same emotional state as himself.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Tacey's dash hadn't been as aimless as she had made it out to be. Though the rich girl was obviously upset about the whole ordeal, it didn't mean that she had lost her wit...or sense of direction. She had been doing her best to navigate a path towards the hotel, and though the streets of New York were hardly familiar to her, she was pretty sure that she had been heading in the right direction.

That wasn't what really bothered her, though. No, what really bothered her was the people around her. She was used to being the center of attention wherever she went, but now that her bodyguards weren't around, the rich girl had all but dissolved into the crowd. It wasn't that she usually needed them to intimidate others out of her way, but the recent events had shaken Tacey's normally indomitable self-confidence, the very one that allowed her to command respect far beyond her age and stature.

Tacey was scared, and the world was pouncing. She could see it, in every indifferent glance, every mocking sneer, every lecherous expression. For a moment, she could have sworn that she even felt someone's hand brush against her thigh, and in her current state this was more than enough to make her explode in full force, twirling around with righteous fury only to find that whoever had done it -- if it had even been done -- was long gone.

Her lip quivered. She didn't want to be here, she didn't want this. What she wanted was to be back at the hotel, to be stared at in awe and envy by everyone she encountered, to be somewhere clean and safe. Right now, above all, she really just wanted to be home. Not, not in this stupid city with all the ignorant dolts who kept ignoring her and bumping into her and stepping into her way and doing all kinds of indecent things and-

It was right at this specific moment that a member of the crowd landed straight at her feet, causing the rich girl to leap back in fright. Only a moment later did she register just who the crowd member was, right when said crowd member addressed her:

"Tacey? Are... you okay?"

The girl blinked, slightly unsure as to how to respond, but her pride was still clinging to its position with teeth and claws, "Of-of course I am." she replied in the less than convincing manner of one who was trying to conceal that she had been on the verge of both tears and complete panic mere moments later, "What a silly thing for you to ask. I'm not the one who collapsed in the middle of the street, am I?" she tentatively reached out a hand to help the boy up, a perfect cover-story for the awkward situation suddenly materializing in her mind, "Looks like you aren't in any condition to walk around on your own, Smith." the girl remarked, giving a sigh that indicated that she was -- out of the sheer goodness of her heart -- agreeing to something which she was really rather reluctant about and transferring her grip from simply helping him up to concretely dragging him around, a grip quite similar to the one she had applied to Manjoume. It wasn't unbreakable, but if he wanted off he'd have to be ready to bear the image of someone who had conducted violence against a girl younger than himself. Even a crowd this vicious couldn't stay completely cold at that sight, "Come on, I'll walk you to your hotel. Can't have you spasming around without anyone looking after you, not with all this shadow game business going on. You can thank me later."

Without giving time for any kind of objection, the rich girl proceeded to drag her new victim down the street. Things were looking up, though she loathed to admit it. She was just doing a good deed, this she was telling herself. She was far too kind-hearted to let even an idiot like Achan get himself hurt, it wasn't like she needed him in any way.

On some levels of consciousness, she almost believed it.

"Oh, and let's get one thing straight." she added in a more business-like tone, "This doesn't mean I like you any more than before. If you try anything funny I will break your arm."

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • If Achan had known that he would encounter Tacey, he might have taken a few precautions. Moving down the nearest back alley, for instance. He was surprised, however, by her reaction to his question. Tacey was quite obviously emotionally distressed, and quite obviously needed his help. He was equally surprised by her gesture of kindness when she profferred a hand to help him up. Maybe Tacey wasn't so bad after all, he reasoned.

Of course, his opinion was completely reversed when Tacey proceeded to grip his arm in such a manner as to prevent him from escaping her without looking like a complete idiot. If it weren't for the fact that she had helped him up in the first place, he would have been furious. She was just helping him up because she couldn't just leave him sitting there, not because she genuinely cared about him in any way, shape, or form. Apparently he still didn't register as an intelligent human being in Tacey's book. It was then that Tacey made a remark that at its surface seemed to confirm Achan's thoughts, but made it painfully obvious that she really did need his help as much as he had needed hers. If she had indeed felt no different about Achan, she wouldn't have spared him a remark. She would have continued treating him as if he was completely inferior to her, or one of her servants. Tacey, you're a pretty bad liar, Achan wanted to say. Aloud, he replied with a jauntier, "Well, likewise to you in that case, Miss Edgeworth."

Black Panther continued tracking, his whiskers twitching. Wanting to leave as little distance as possible between himself and his quarry, he slipped closer. Just as he did so, however, the sillhoute of a large, misty figure appeared in front of him. Hey, what gives? the neo-spacian growled indignantly.

The large figure remained mute, but its eyes appeared. They burned with a dark red color as the murky image drew its blade, which was itself at least the size of Black Panther, and pointed it threateningly at him.

Black Panther got the message, and he didn't like it. I don't know who you work for, but I'm here to make sure that kid doesn't get hurt! Move aside!

The figure dragged its blade along the ground in front of it before pointing to Achan, then back to itself. Once this gesture was completed he pointed at Black Panther, then at Achan again, then to its sword, and then to Black Panther. The Neo-Spacian understood the point of the pantomime at once. "Keep away from the kid with the funky hair or I'll kill you." Black Panther shook his head. No. Judai told me to watch over the boy, so that is what I must do. I can't waste my time fighting you, so please move aside! The misty figure shook its head before pointing to itself and its sword again. Black Panther shook its head once more. What do you have to do with anything? The figure pointed to Achan one last time. Finally, it dawned on the duel spirit. You're protecting him, aren't you? he asked.

Groaning, the creature nodded.

Interesting... I'll report this to Judai. As the panther turned to slink away, he left one last parting remark. If you allow him to be hurt while I'm away, I'll take you apart. Understand?

Nodding, the creature vanished.

Achan rolled his eyes uncomfortably. "Er... Tacey, I appreciate the help, but I think I can walk now. I just tripped over something before, really. I'm fine. Could you let go of me for a moment? People are going to think there's something between us," he pleaded.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Tacey had largely zoned out Achan's talk after it had been confirmed that he was not about to object. She was just escorting him after all, service for a person with an obvious medical condition of some sort. That was it, even though Achan's oh-so-jaunty manner seemed to suggest that he thought something else. Not that she cared what he thought of course; he'd just have to prepare to be bitterly disappointed when his plebeian fancies turned out unfounded.

"Aww! They're so cuuu-mmmph!"

Despite the interruption, the light, childish voice had effectively caught the rich girl's attention, her eyes turning to the right and spotting the perpetrator: Miseres, the hands of both Curran and Pikeru duly clamped over the grey-clad angel's face. As the spirits realized that they were being observed, both donned identical innocent smiles.

Tacey gave a tired sigh, despite technically being opposites, the twin princesses were very much alike in certain respects, "And just where have you three been?"

The princesses exchanged guilty glances.

"Well, you see, Tacey..." Pikeru began in her most persuasive voice, Curran picking up on queue

"...Miseres got lost back during the run and..."

"We tried to talk to you but you didn't notice."

The seraph's interjection caused both of the spritely princesses to wince in unison. Miseres, it seemed, had an abysmal sense of timing when it came to giving blunt truths.

For a moment, Tacey look practically stunned, "Is...this true?" she directed the question to her two original spirits, both of them exchanging another set of glances.

"Yes...it's true." Pikeru conceded at last.

"No reaction, even when Miseres tried prodding you." Curran filled in, "It was pretty creepy, to be honest."

"But..." Tacey lowered her voice considerably in an attempt to cut Achan out of the conversation. The last thing she wanted was for him to find out about was a weakness on her side, "How can that happen? I mean, it's a talent, right? You can't just forget something like that, can you?"

"Didn't think so either." Curran replied with a shrug, "Not until this happened anyway."

"We think...it might be because you were upset." Pikeru ventured, "I mean, it started happening right after you ran away from-"

"Left the company of."

"Left the company of Judai and Manjoume." Pikeru diplomatically corrected herself, "And, well...after you met up with Achan it seems to have-" she paused, catching the girl's expression, "I mean, the Achan thing could just be coincidence, but you've calmed down now, right?"

"Right." Tacey replied, nodding, "So it's just a matter of staying calm and collected at all times, right?"

"That's what we think, anyway." Pikeru said.

"It's also why we decided not to talk about it." her black-robed complement chimed in, "Didn't want to risk you getting a relapse. Not that angel wings here stuck to it."

She gave a meaningful nod towards Miseres, but the seraph seemed completely absorbed by staring at the sky. When she noticed the glances turned towards her, she spoke up however, "There's a funny bird in the sky." she trilled innocently.

"Funny bird?"
    Curran echoed, casting a sceptical glance at the blue vastness above and then shaking her head, "For the last time, Miseres; it's called an 'airplane'."

"No, not that one, silly!" the seraph retorted, giggling slightly, "I meant the red one, over there." she pointed innocently at a red dot in the distance, "It's been following us the whole time. Pretty silly, don't you think?"

The expressions on the faces of the other two seemed to indicate that this wasn't the case, but before anyone could interject, Achan -- who had been oblivious to the conversation -- decided to speak up, requesting that Tacey let go of his arm before people started thinking that there was 'something between them' as he put it.

"Well, they wouldn't think that if you tried to act a bit more like my little brother and a bit less like a fidgety little boy on his first date." she retorted, rolling her eyes, "Really, Smith, you're being just as childish about this as-"

"Tacey!"

The girl was about to voice an objection to being interrupted in such a way, but a hurried whisper from Pikeru cut her short.

"Are you serious?" she hissed, receiving a nod in response.

Tacey had had every intention of letting go of Achan -- who, in her opinion, really should have had nothing at all to complain about if people thought that there was something between him and a radiant demi-goddess of children's card games like herself -- but upon receiving the confirmation, her grip around his arm tightened instead, the rich girl quickly pulling her involuntary escort closer.

"Don't look now, Smith..." she muttered, "But Pikeru insists that we're being followed...by a duel spirit, no less. Some kind of bird. It's probably pointless to ask, but do you have any bright ideas for a change?"

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan wasn't a very resilient person. When Tacey announced the arrival of a large bird following them, he gave her the one answer he could think of. "Leave it. If it's with the Shadow people, it's not going to be able to attack as long as we're surrounded by a crowd, since they'd have to deal with the witnesses. If it's from Judai or Manjyome we'll probably be okay. I don't like the idea of them spying on us, but from the looks of things there's nothing we can do but go home, get some rest, and try to forget everything that just happened in that theatre."

Even as the words left Achan's mouth, he knew that he would never forget. He had been an unknowing accomplice in the murder of Armstrong and Kenta, and he would never be able to think about this place again without remembering the two of them. They had been after Tacey, true, and they might have been evil, but they probably didn't have any idea what they were doing when they began playing those games. They probably just wanted powers so that they could emulate someone they admired, or to feel better about themselves. Maybe they had someone they were trying to outdo. Whatever the case, they didn't deserve to die. He was sure of that.

------------​

Air Hummingbird stared at the duo from above. Eh? Why aren't they moving? Are they gonna stand there and talk all day? he complained. I finally get to see some action, and what happens? I get to baby-sit a few kids who can't get home on time. Oh brother...

OOC: Yeah, Air Hummingbird and the other Neo-Spacians have their personalities basically open to interpretation, so expect to see some of that. *smiles evilly*

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • "Leave it?!"

Tacey could hardly believe her ears, while those in her immediate vicinity were busied with nursing their own after the latest assault, "Just leave it?!" even though the rich girl had lowered the volume quite a bit, every last syllable in her words still oozed with indignation, "Are you out of your mind, Smith?! You may be safe, but have you, even once, stopped to consider my position?! Who knows what kind of depraved card player may have sent that creature after us, let alone what sinister schemes they could be plotting?! And worse yet, who knows what kind of vulgar passions Manjome might be fostering?!"

Pikeru's jaw nearly dropped at the line of thought. Sure, it wasn't unusual for her host to worry about such things, but this was a bit much...even for her, "Umm...Tacey, I really don't think..."

"He was really coming onto me, you know." Tacey continued, having gone conveniently deaf to her duel spirit's objection as the picture her mind was painting started becoming more and more elaborate, "Ohh...I thought that he would have the decency to give up his fancies after that mess he made of our date, but now he's stalking me instead! I shall have to lock up every window in my hotel room tonight so he won't be tempted to any foolish escapades! Do you have any idea how awkward this is, Smith?!" the pause she gave was not nearly enough to voice a response, "No, what am I saying? Of course you don't! This was probably the first time a girl even held your hand! You have no idea how taxing it is to be as beautiful as I am, Smith, no idea at all! Admirers always have this thing for falling in love with their idol, and the next thing you know they're proposing and doing all other embarrassing things like that! Now stop slacking already!" Tacey yanked the spiky-haired teenager along with her as she increased her pace further, "The sooner we get away from this exposed place the better!"

OOC: So yeah, I have no idea where Achan's hotel is or what it's like so...your call to have him arrive. x3

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • OOC: If Tacey actually thinks that about Manjyome, maybe I should randomly introduce a Yu-Gi-Oh-universe equivalent of Akane to the RP just to see the character reactions. *SHOT'ED x50,000* Anyway, someone needs to bump the OOC thread so that I can say silly things in it and force you all to laugh so that I can make an important announcement concerning the RP once I finalize a certain decision.

Achan felt Tacey's hands pulling him along at an increased pace while she proceeded to chew him out with a speed and delivery that reminded the teenager of his own mother scolding him for his treatment of a houseguest when he was younger. Achan didn't appreciate being scolded then, and he didn't appreciate it now. Especially since Tacey had just marched him right past his hotel, and was now going off on how Manjome was obviously attracted to her. Achan proceeded to perform the one action possible in his situation: he stopped short, refusing to allow Tacey to budge him another inch. The heiress wasn't particularly brawny, after all, and even a lightweight like Achan had enough muscle force to stand up for himself. Achan pointed angrily at the large building directly behind the two. "This, Tacey, is my hotel. If you're concerned about someone following you, this is the place to stop. If you really feel like someone's stalking you, just get a room here for the night. Most of the duelists from the tournament are here anyway, so if you still feel like competing now is the time to size up the competition."

The being that had appeared to Black Panther, meanwhile, was curious about the three spirits floating at the heels of Miss Tacey Edgeworth. Inquisitively, it allowed a small portion of its head to take a form visible and tangible to other spirits and stroked the back of Curran's hair before allowing itself to melt into the shadow cast by an overhanging gargoyle carved into the hotel's wall.

Achan wasn't finished with his statements, however. "And another thing, Miss Edgeworth. About my never having held a woman's hand before. You're one hundred percent correct about that, and you know what? I really resent that you find reason to comment. There has to be a first time for everything, you know. And Manjome? Vulgar Passions? Please. He and Judai are, like, six years older than you are! What do you think he is, some sort of pedophile?" Achan was building steam, and as he did so he made the discovery that as long as he concentrated on Tacey he could block out those uncomfortable feelings of a moment ago. "You know, I was starting to actually respect you, but I can see that even if you do understand that throwing someone's life away because they lost a card game is wrong you're still just a little self-centered little egotist, and you push me around for no reason, and you're creepy and-and-" Achan's voice faltered. "And now I'm just blowing off steam. I'm sorry, it's just that I'm.... I needed someone to yell at. Sorry."

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • OOC: I can only imagine...they'd probably get into an argument about which one of them is being stalked, which would most likely involve some mutual bashing, and before we know it we'd have cat fight. Either that or they'd join forces and go scare the crap out of some poor bastard who happened to cast a glance in their general direction. xD

IC:

Tacey was not too pleased about her captive companion suddenly halting and was just about to demand an explanation when Achan spoke up, pointing out that she had marched him right past his hotel. His words did not end there, however, not by a long shot. The slight tinge of embarrassment was the only thing that kept her from halting the boy's tirade as he brought up the notion that if avoiding stalkers was her biggest concern then she should have stayed here instead of her regular hotel. There was a certain point to it, the millionaire heiress conceded, but at the same time this place was so...average. She nearly shuddered at the thought. Sure, she was concerned about Manjoume -- whom she couldn't write off the list of potential stalkers just yet -- but was it really worth staying at a place that Achan could afford? And one frequented by all those other plebeian duelists?

The rich girl would have given voice to these thoughts, but Achan's continued rant effectively caught her attention. Self-centered little egotist?! How dare that little upstart?! And after the way she had helped him out too! The boy's final apology was the only thing that spared him from receiving a scratch or two as a memento, but Tacey was not about to let that slight just slide for a simple 'sorry'. She was tired, she was hungry, her feet ached, and she had just been insulted by someone who should have been showing gratitude.

"And you, Smith, are still a jealous and ungrateful little boy with no manners." she informed him, her voice cold and even while her trademark dagger glare pierced the teenager, "If this is the way you act around all girls then it's no wonder that you haven't had your 'first time' as you say. I just went well off my path to make sure you got here safely, goodness knows why, and in return you yell at me and insult me at every turn, just because you don't have the inner composure to deal with your own petty issues without taking them out on me. I might choose to stay in this dismal hovel you so ironically call a 'hotel', but if I do I'll thank you kindly to keep your uneducated self as far from me as possible until you've learned to behave in a civilized manner. Oh, and Smith?" she turned on her heel, facing the teenager one last time, "Do you remember what I told you to remind me about back at the statue of liberty?"

Not giving any time for reaction, Tacey raised her right hand and delivered a fierce slap to Achan's face before promptly turning on her heels and marching off, hissing out a phrase that surely was there simply because she had been taught to say that sort of thing as she shoved open the door, "Good night, Smith."

A few fragments of old paint peeled off the walls as she slammed the door shut behind her.

Much like the millionaire heiress had expected, the interior of the hotel was jam-packed with amateur duelists, and while a number of heads turned to acknowledge the new entrant, her expression made it quite clear that she was not in the mood as she dug around her belongings for a cell phone.

The moment Tacey had found herself a relatively secluded corner, she scrolled through the numbers on her speed dial, shoving down the call button with considerable rancor as she found the number she had been looking for.

"Rufus?" the slight tension in the rich girl's voice made it quite obvious that she was not in the mood for any 'but's, "No, I don't care about your excuses and I don't want to talk about what happened! Look, I'm staying at the Illusionist Hotel tonight, so go fetch my things and get over here. Yes, all of them! Yes, now! If I don't see them -- and you -- here in half an hour you're all fired! Goodbye!"

Tacey's hand was still trembling with pent-up emotion as she shut her cell phone, but she grit her teeth and forced down the few droplets of moisture that were fighting their way up her tear canals as she elbowed her way to the reception desk. She was not going to cry in front of all these people; she wasn't! Tired, hurt, homesick, it didn't matter what the conditions, she was not allowed to show that kind of weakness.

It wasn't presentable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Curran, meanwhile, was wrapped up in her own concerns. The moment the foreign spirit had brushed against her hair, she had whipped around, "That's it, angel-wings! How many times do I have to tell you, my hair is off-" she paused, realizing that she was glaring at thin air, "...limits."

"Curran, what are you doing?!" Pikeru called, her ethereal head sticking out from the hotel door, "Tacey needs us! Come on!"

"But Miseres-!"

"...is already here!" Pikeru finished, nodding towards a second head next to hers, which beamed at the black-robed magician in her usual innocent way, "She's been with me this whole time, so she's innocent to whatever you were planning to pin on her."

"Look!" Curran persisted, folding her arms, "I'm positive that someone just touched my hair!"

Pikeru slapped her forehead, "Oh, Curran, not you too! There are no spirits here except us, you know that! You must have imagined it. Now come on already!"

"But-!"

"Tacey needs our support!"

"Oh, fine!" Curran muttered, finally making a movement towards the door as well. Just before following the other two, however, she cast one last, piercing glare at the gargoyle in the wall, "That wasn't my imagination..."

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • OOC: Gah, sorry this post is late... *insertbelievableandperfectlyunderstandableexcusehere* Christmas after-craziness and whatnot have kept me on my toes and too busy to even attempt an IC.

Achan felt the force of the slap before Tacey's hand actually hit him. It occured to the redhead that if he had actually been attempting to make friends with Tacey he should probably have just shut up rather than attempting to vent his frustration on her. He barely noticed, too, that she was walking away, and the scolding that Tacey had administered before the slap had fallen on deaf ears. Achan was tired, frustrated, and mostly depressed. His life had officially jumped off the deep end, and he was swimming upstream without a paddle. He was so depressed, in fact, that it didn't occur to him that when swimming one didn't usually require a paddle in the first place. There were fifty-thousand ways to describe the way Achan felt at that moment, but all of them could be easily lumped together in a simple sentence:

Achan felt tired and angsty.

The bellhop who accidentally obstructed Achan's despondent trek up to his room found himself flying down a nearby staircase when the teenager angrily shoved the man from his path, and while this helped to vent any residual anger the main angst-causing factor, i.e. Achan's current situation, was unresolved. From Achan's point of view things could not possibly get any worse. He was stuck on a team full of jerks. The two people he thought were normal had turned out to be insane nutjobs with duel disks who decided who lived and who died in this world through children's card games, and the other half of the team was composed of the one person that Achan most wanted to push in front of a Greyhound Bus at this moment in time. The worst part was that Tacey had definitely proved that she was human a few minutes ago, and Achan wasn't going to be able to forget that in a hurry. If anything, that made the situation worse. Achan's original reasons for disliking her were starting to seem shallow and trumped-up, and he was (though he wished he was not) beggining to understand her attitude. The minute he realized these thoughts were appearing within himself, Achan attempted to squelch them. First, the old standby: She's my rival! There's no way I can attempt to act nice around her! Still, an annoying voice in Achan's head continued to traitorously undermine his efforts by whispering But why can't you be rivals and still be friends?

Achan tried a different tactic. She's so full of herself, somebody's got to show her that she isn't the boss of everything!

But that traitorous whisper continued. And who, pray tell, elected you to that position, hmm? And why does showing her that she isn't boss entail insulting her and villifying her at every possible oppurtunity? Can't you just be friends without bending over backwards for her?

Achan's last try was more pitiful than the first two. She hates me.

And whose fault is that, hmm?

A twenty-dollar Ming vase replica came sailing out of Achan's window, where it conveniently landed in a nearby trash bin. His frustration dealt with, Achan turned to the laptop lying near the edge of his bed. Maybe playing around with his virtual card-maker would help him feel a little less guilty. At the very least he would get his mind off of the stinging, red mark on his cheek. Flicking open the laptop's screen, Achan entered his password. "D-I-S-G-A-E-A, space, F-O-R-E-V-E-R, Space, D-O-O-D"

The screen flashed to life, and Achan wasted no time in calling up the internet to access his program. Just as his eager fingers were about to move the mouse into the URL bar, however, a flashing icon caught Achan's eye. He blinked in surprise. It was very, very rare that Achan got e-mail at his home address, and even rarer when said mail was marked "Urgent!". He hesitated a moment before scrolling his cursor over to the icon and clicking. Upon seeing the address of the sender, Achan stifled a gasp as he hurriedly opened the document and began to read.

Dear Mr. Smith,

My employer has asked my hair to inform you that your new Wandering monsters are in the process of being printed, and requests your presence as well as that of your team mates on his island home at Duelist Kingdom at the end of the second round of this tournament for the grand unveiling. My hair is also informing you that during the second round a member of team eleven will be permanently transferred to your team due to Mr. Ed Pepper's decision to withdraw from this tournament on account of his phobia of rich people and farm boys and Mr. Rurian's sudden need to return to Japan for reasons left unexplained in his e-mail to my hair's employer. Please treat your new team mate with respect, as he has informed my hair via e-mail that he suffers from an uncommon trauma which has rendered him phobic of adult males. Best of luck when dealing with him.

-Sincerely,

My Hair.

Achan stared at the letter. If it hadn't been for the fact that the e-mail informing him of Ed's appearance was from the same address as this one he would have dismissed the whole thing as a cruel hoax. The sudden dissapearance of Ed and Rurian wasn't what worried him, he barely knew them anyway and as far as he knew they hadn't had their souls eaten alive or whatever by insane duelists. New Wandering cards? Achan hadn't created any new Wandering monsters! His deck had stopped with the basic party of beast, mage, healer, thief, hero, and ninja. He hadn't even added a gunner (which he had later kicked himself for). Where were these new Wanderers coming from, then, and why did Pegasus seem to think they were Achan's idea? What was the point of inviting him to Duelist Kingdom, and why was it situated to be directly AFTER the second round? More important, however, was the arrival of a new team member. The e-mail included no details on where and how this team member was to be located. Achan groaned. He had logged onto his computer to relax with a children's card game-related activity and now he was thrown directly into the middle of some sort of crazy plot again. This was not his day.

The spirit watched Achan. He was weak, too weak to do anything but look intimidating yet. But the boy who had picked his master's deck up had promise. He would keep the boy as safe as he could until his strength and the better part of his memories returned, and then he would avenge his master against that person. That person whose eyes were like shadows...

Make a John Denver Reference. I dare you. (The Morning of the Third Day... AGH! MOON IS FALLING! MOON IS FALLING!)

Achan slumped against the airport waiting-room seat as he continued to work out what he'd say to Tacey and the others when they arrived. Somehow, he knew that anything along the lines of "Hey, sorry I've been so hard on you, can we be super-special-awesome friends now?" was probably not going to fly. Actually, he didn't particularly want to become best chums with Tacey right now. Rivals with a degree of mutual respect and tolerance was one thing, bosom buddies was another entirely. Even feeling repentant, Achan had his limits. He fervently hoped that Edgeworth would somehow be able to make it to the airport without Manjoume or Judai following her. It was going to be hard enough attempting to apologize to her in front of her silent-as-the-grave bodyguards, let alone in front of the maniac brothers.

Judai carefully leaned from behind the baggage rack as he stealthily observed Achan. He had, unbeknownst to his younger colleauge, arrived at the airport a good two hours ahead of the scheduled time for the charter flight and prepared himself for a good long stakeout. He knew that what he had said earlier had scared Achan and Tacey, so he would give them their space. For now, at least. Someone needed to be nearby to protect those two if the Shadow Duelists showed up...

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • The room was horrible.

On a normal night, Tacey might have felt inclined to merely declare it 'average' with that tone of polite disdain that would have made it perfectly clear that average just wasn't quite enough for a celebrity of her caliber. Your lack of understanding is tolerated, my good man, just show the me the real suite now and don't do this sort of thing again. It's not very funny at all.

This time, however, it was just plain horrible, yet the clerk had insisted that it was the best that the Illusionist Hotel had to offer.

Tacey sighed, shifting her lying position beneath the sheets for the umpteenth time. The sheets were soft, as was the the pillow and mattress. They were clean too, but much like the rest of the room, there was just something missing. It was supposed to be posh. She could tell that painstaking efforts had been undergone in an attempt to make it posh, but it was equally obvious that whoever had done so just didn't grasp the essence of posh. Yes, there were supposed to be tacky ornaments and bizarre objects that had been labeled 'art' simply because no other term existed, but not that kind of tacky and not the schizophrenic creations of that particular artist. Yes, posh carpeting and random gildings were part of the package, but the carpeting was the wrong color and the gildings were in all the wrong places.

The rich girl clutched the pillow tighter, eyes shut to shield her from the weirdness of her environment. Everything felt out of place. It had been that way right from the start of the tournament. Nothing went the way it was supposed to. She should have gotten a team of faithful admirers, she should have won the duel against Pegasus, no-one should have died just because they couldn't measure up to her in a children's card game, she should not have been saddled with two psychotic card players, but above all: Achan should not have hated her!

The mere thought of that uppity teenager's behavior made her blood boil. She was used to envy, you got a lot of that in a position like hers. She was used to jealous stares and spiteful remarks, but they were always made by people who really only wanted to be like her. They had said they hated her, but this time, the rich girl fought off a most non-presentable tremble that was trying to take over her lip, this time she had really felt it. It was a horrible feeling, to feel truly and completely unwanted, and a clumsy apology was not enough to erase it from her mind. And to make matters worse, there was that moment...that moment with the stupid paper airplane, the one that had cost him his ticket.

Tacey screamed into her pillow out of sheer frustration, the object thankfully muffling the sound. If he wanted to hate her, what was up with doing something like that?! If he didn't want to hate her, why was he saying all those other things?! Why couldn't that stupid boy make up his mind?! And more importantly, why couldn't she stop thinking about it?! Achan was obviously not giving a hoot about her feelings or concerns. If anything, he'd no doubt be pleased to have upset his most hated rival like this. There was no reason for her to care about him. She refused to! Tacey might have been forced to compromise some of her principles during the course of this tournament, but she was most certainly not going to start obsessing over some plebeian boy. After all, he wasn't rich or influential, nor was he anything special when it came to playing children's card games. He had no manners and no fashion sense, and he wasn't even good looking.

He was just embarrassing.

"Friends." Tacey scoffed at the darkness, reproach for the presumptuous 'high king's' words evident in her voice, "We've only known each other for two days and I don't even like him!"

"Miss Edgeworth?"

Shock could do wonders for a person's reaction speed. The moment that the familiar male voice reached Tacey's ears, the rich girl spun around to face the door to her room, immediately pulling the covers around her to protect her modesty. Her nightgown was hardly the most revealing piece of apparel in existence, but she was not about to take any risks.

"Rufus!" she hissed, glaring in annoyance at the tall, spiky-haired silhouette that had appeared at the door, its head very wisely turned away from the positively livid millionaire heiress, "Haven't you learned to knock?!"

"I did, miss Edgeworth." the suit replied in as calm a tone as he could muster, finally deciding to ignore the advice of his self-protection instinct as he elaborated, "Three times."

"Well, you didn't knock loudly enough." Tacey harrumphed in response, unable to muster a better retort as she folded her arms defensively, "Now what, pray tell, is so important that you saw fit to interrupt my beauty sleep? And don't touch that light switch!" she growled, "Have some decency!"

There was, of course, a completely different reason for why the rich girl didn't want anyone to see her clearly right now, but fortunately the suit did not demand her to elaborate, "There was...a message for you, miss Edgeworth." he said at last, holding an envelope up in front of him like a riot shield, "A message of top priority."

Tacey was hardly mollified, striding over to her bodyguard with all the ferocity that a tired, emotionally frail fourteen-year old with a sheet trailing behind her could muster and snatching the message, "And just what priority makes it so important that it couldn't wait until morning?!"

Rufus shuffled uncomfortably on the spot, "The messenger wouldn't say, miss. Confidential. But he was adamant that I hand it to your right away said that his hair would not leave this spot until I had delivered-"

"His hair, you say?" Tacey echoed, her eyes immediately darting to the envelope with newfound enthusiasm, "Very well, Rufus, you are excused. Just make sure not to repeat this behavior."

"Yes, miss."

After a few moments of awkward silence, Tacey finally spoke up again, "I said 'you are excused', Rufus." she said in a carefully level tone, "In layman's terms: leave. And make sure that I'm not bothered again this evening."

"Yes, miss."

Shaking her head at her underlings' incompetence, the rich girl strode back to her bed, tossing the sheet onto it in an uncharacteristically haphazard manner and -- once she had made sure that Rufus was long gone and the door firmly shut once more -- flicked on the bedside lamp. Sure enough, the name of the sender was Pegasus J. Crawford. It was as she had expected, though this stilled the slight worry of having gained another obsessive stalker in the murder-hair henchman.

"Alright, Pegasus..." she mumbled, tearing up the seal on the envelope, "...this had better be good."

As she turned the opened piece of paper upside-down, Tacey was mildly surprised to see a small, dark blue box fall down on the mattress next to the expected letter. The inside of the box, much like Pegasus' suitcase, was lined with velvet, and located in a small indent within velvet, she discovered...playing cards? Not only that, she soon realized, but brand new cards, the names of which she had never recalled hearing.

Intrigued, Tacey quickly snatched up the letter, allowing her eyes to travel across the curly, effeminate handwriting.

For goodness' sake, this handwriting was girlier than hers!

"Greetings, Tacey-girl!

I do apologize for the inconvenient hour of delivery, but I'm a very busy man and for reasons which you have most likely already examined, an e-mail simply wouldn't do. Judai-boy has told me about what happened, and words can't express how distressed I am that you were involved in such an unfabulous turn of events. I was hoping that, for once, I could simply get people together for fun and children's card games without anyone losing a soul, but alas, it seems that this was not to be.

With this letter, I have enclosed a unique set of cards that I hope both you and your new duel spirit will appreciate. Think of them as my 'thank you' for a most entertaining duel, but just don't tell Kaiba-boy; you wouldn't
    believe how jealous he gets over these little things.

But enough about him, I would also like to take this opportunity to invite you and the rest of your team to my fabulous island home at Duelist Kingdom. Our little get-together will be after the end of the second round of the tournament. Speaking of the second round...I have another little surprise in store for you, but spoiling it all in this letter would be no fun. If you're curious, feel free to ask Achan-boy about it. After all, sharing information is a crucial part of teamwork, is it not?

Best of luck with the next round, Tacey-girl, and may your exploits be ever-entertaining.

Sincerely,

Your ever-fabulous tournament host, Pegasus J. Crawford.

P.S: I've taken the liberty of replacing those horrid old holograms of yours with something a bit more stylish. Aren't the new models just
    fabulous? I know your old card illustrations aren't up-to-date, but never fear, by the time you arrive at Duelist Kingdom I'll have a fresh set ready for you, not to mention a few extras. No need to thank me, I haven't had this much fun since that time I stole Kaiba-boy's soul and turned him into my personal kitchen boy. But enough about me..."

Tacey did not know whether to feel offended or grateful. In the end, she just settled for one canceling out the other. Pegasus' manner was almost too much, even on paper, but at least she had gotten some new cards for all her trouble. She was still dubious about the invite to Duelist Kingdom -- After all, when an eccentric millionaire of...Pegasus' disposition suddenly decided to invite a group of teenagers to his private island with a vague promise of new playing cards, one had to wonder if there wasn't an ulterior motive in there somewhere -- but there was still time to consider that offer. If nothing else, the letter had given her something to think about besides Achan.

"Unique cards..." Tacey mumbled sleepily, her eyelids slowly drooping as she peered at at the pink-framed card at the top of the pile, thinking -- for a moment -- that there was something distinctly familiar about the small, gray-clad girl sitting cross-legged on a throne while a distinguished looking man stood frozen in the process of placing a crown on her head while a crowd of spectators stared in awe, either at her or the crest above her head, one couldn't really tell, all under the heading of 'Hereditary Title', "Maybe, with these I could..."

She never managed to finish her sentence before sleep overcame her, the exhausted little girl falling fast asleep, cards clutched in one hand and letter in the other, with the nightstand lamp still burning brightly.

That morning had not been particularly kind to Tacey at all. Her feet still ached from yesterday's extracurricular activities and with that ache came a number of memories she would rather not have had. To compound the horror, last night's insomnia had made its presence known to such an extent that a number of the duelists staying at the Illusionist Hotel could have sworn that the strange little girl in the VIP Suite had done something very violent to at least three cats at the same time.

Regardless, Tacey hadn't gotten where she was by moping and crying when things didn't go her way.

Well, not by moping and crying all the time, anyway. After spending a good hour in the bathroom with a make-up kit and a hairbrush she had eventually emerged in what she liked to think of as a more presentable condition. The black rings were still there, of course, but now they were covered by a protective layer of concealing make-up, a small deluge of facial toner having largely washed away her delicate skin's objection to such unhealthy levels of stress while her hair had been neatly combed out right down to the last strand.

All in all, Tacey had been very diligent about concealing every last bit of discontentment and misfortune in her visage. They were going to Japan, after all, and that meant that her fanclub would be there. If there was ever a time when she couldn't afford to drop her cheerful, lovable image it was now, when she was going to end up face-to-face with her admirers. She might have held a measure of quiet disdain for her fans, particularly the boys, but at the same she had a large ego to satisfy, and few knew how to stroke it quite like they did. In return, she could afford to give them nothing but what they expected to see: a confident, cute, and ruthless pro duelist. They wouldn't notice the extra make-up, she was sure; no-one would unless they came up close. However, to enforce her upbeat image, the rich girl had found it prudent to undergo a change of attire, trading in her old skirt and shirt for a bright yellow one-piece dress with a white collar, the hem of which reached well bellow knees, throwing in an orange, waist-length coat, currently unbuttoned, to protect her arms while the -- admittedly somewhat impractical -- black shoes had been exchanged for a softer, cerulean-colored pair. As a crowning piece for her look, she had thrown in a small, similarly colored handbag, the strap of which cross diagonally over her chest. It had been especially designed to look home-made, even though this obviously wasn't the case, not to mention that she really needed no containers for items at all with the four suitcase-carrying suits traveling around her.

One might have thought such prickishness to be over-the-top but Tacey knew that it was precisely these little touches that made all the difference. The fact that the ruthless competitive duelist looked like an innocent little girl was essential to her appeal and as such, she needed to act the part right down to the last detail.

Fortunately, she didn't need to put on the full act just yet, and as such, the Tacey who traversed the airport hall in the morning only bore an expression of polite indifference on her face as she moved through the customs routine with a determined stride and, with an equal amount of determination, took a seat in the waiting lounge without betraying any sign of having noticed her teammate, focusing on the small handheld she had obtained at the start of the tournament instead as she attempted to sort out her new decklist on the deck management screen in front of her while her suits settled down around her. She was being evasive, she knew. She was just putting off the inevitable, she knew that too. The mature thing to do would have been to speak to the boy and get things straightened out, she knew, but Tacey would be damned before she prostrated herself to Achan in such a way. As far as her opinion was concerned, this was still Achan's mess first and foremost. If he wanted it sorted out, he'd have to be the one who humbled himself and made the first move. Then, if he admitted his mistakes and gave a proper apology, possibly throwing in a few nice words about her new outfit, then maybe she would forgive him and they could act like yesterday had never happened...

...maybe she'd even give a 'sorry'. A small, non-committal one.

Maybe.

As long as it didn't involve her having to admit guilt to anything anyway.

But if he was up to his usual standards...

Not a flicker of emotion crossed Tacey's features, not a sound left her lips, her full attention seemingly focused on the reel of trap cards reflected in her eyes.

Well, then she could hate him in good conscience for the rest of the tournament. Either way, she would win.

The ends of her mouth curled up by an almost indistinguishable amount, that was precisely the kind of situation she loved.

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Tacey Edgeworth.

She's here.

Scheiss.

These were Achan's first three thoughts as Tacey stepped into the waiting room, her usual entourage bringing up the rear as they attempted to blend in with the crowd. If he weren't attempting to puzzle out what he was going to say to Tacey at this crucial moment he might have taken the oppurtunity to laugh at their efforts. The bodyguards were once again "concealed" behind newspapers and attempted to project an air of aimlessness as they followed the debutante like a group of idiotic ducklings. Achan swallowed as he took the oppurtunity to size Tacey up before she acknowledged him. She probably hadn't forgiven him for his comments the day before. And from the looks of things she wasn't going to apologize for anything she had said or done either. That was okay with Achan, he hadn't come here expecting an apology. He had spent the night trying to remember exactly what it was his mother had told him to remember about dealing with girls and how to apologize to people in hopes that he could somehow dredge from the fragmented bits of advice floating about his memory an apology that would help get rid of this huge ridge between himself and Tacey while simultaneously letting her know that he wasn't the kind of person who was going to bend over backwards for her and do everything she wanted simply because she said so. Common sense dictated that the apology come first, and it was obvious that his was supposed to come first. Slowly, Achan lifted himself from his seat and approached Tacey. Tentatively, he raised his hand and attempted to grin cheerfully as he waved. "Er... Tacey, er... hi, yes," he stammered as he attempted to organize his thoughts. He had her attention, hopefully, so now was the time to get the show on the road. He took a deep breath as he attempted to remember his mother's teachings.

A voice from the past seemed to call out to Achan. When you have a disagreement, try saying something that you both agree on about the situation before your apology. Remember to admit that you were in the wrong when apologizing, but don't overplay or underplay your offense. Just state it and say you're sorry, it's as easy as that.

Well, that part was easy at least. "Um... I said and did some things last night that I shouldn't have, and I didn't mean them. Not really, anyway. I... I'm sorry about what happened in front of the hotel and about the way I treated you before that. It was unbecoming of me, and I'm ashamed of myself. I want to ask your forgiveness." Achan bowed his head slightly as a visual aid of sorts. He didn't like admitting that he was wrong about his first impressions of Tacey in front of her, but there was really no other way to mend the damage. Now came the hard part: attempting to show that he did, in fact, care about Tacey's feelings towards him. This part made him feel especially uncomfortable. The language Achan was using and the planned timing of the apology made him feel as if this whole thing were a set-up for some sort of dramatic confession, and he fervently hoped that Tacey wouldn't see his attempts to establish some sort of workable relationship as a bizarre romantic advance. Achan attempted to remember his mother's other tips on how to talk to girls.

The voice echoed back. If you're trying to make friends with a young lady and you can't think of how to say something without looking like a complete idiot, try complimenting her appearance. Trust me, as long as you don't say something completely stupid you'll make a fine impression.

It occured to Achan that Tacey had changed her outfit. He pondered how best to comment on this without sounding like a total idiot. 'Wow, you look different' was much too ambiguous. Gee, that's a good-looking dress'? There was no way on earth that Achan Smith was going to say anything that sounded as stupid as that. There had to be something he could say! (It occured to Achan at this moment that complimenting people was a lot more stressful than insulting them for some reason, but he pushed this epiphany to the back of his mind.) At last, one thought cut through the fog of indecision: What would Cloud say?

Achan flicked back a lock of his hair as he attempted to add a little bit of dignity to his appearance. "Yellow looks better on you then black," he blurted out. He instantly regretted this statement. 'Yellow looks better on you then black'? What the Chthonia was he thinking? He was trying to make sure that he didn't give Tacey the impression that he was attempting to make a romantic advance, and here he was critiquing her appearance? He couldn't have just said 'Hey, that's a change, nice clothes', no, he had to say something that sounded like a compliment that Cloud Strife would give. If Cloud even gave compliments. He attempted to rectify his mistake. "I mean, er, uh..." No, he couldn't retract the statement now, it would seem like he was trying to take back a compliment. "Er, yeah, yellow is better then black, right..." Achan's voice petered off as his right hand instincively slapped his forehead. He looked at Tacey. "I sound like an idiot, I know," he stated flatly, "But I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm sorry and I want things to go back to the way they were."

Well, at least I started well.

"ATTENTION, DUELISTS!" a voice blared over the airport loudspeakers. "WILL EVERYONE PLEASE MOVE TO THE NEAREST AIRPLANE! YOUR FLIGHT TO JAPAN WILL BEGIN SHORTLY! THANK YOU!"

Achan winced. "Does that guy even know how to talk normally? They probably heard that shout all the way in Korea," he complained.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back