• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cartoon nostalgia

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Talking in the DCC yesterday about cartoons people used to watch when they were much younger made me all nostalgic about my own experiences with animation and the like. So: What were some of the cartoons that you used to watch as a kid? Do you still watch some of them now? With hind sight, were some of them really as good as you remember?

What were some of the cartoons that you used to watch as a kid?
    Oh god, here's a non-exhaustive list: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, CatDog (obvs), SpongeBob SquarePants, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken (but NOT the I Am Weasel spin-off: an example of not following the simple maxim of 'less is more'), Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Recess, Animaniacs, Gadget Boy and there's still so many more...

Do you still watch any of them now?
    Whenever I come home from uni, I always make a habit of exploiting my parents' satellite TV to watch reruns of Frasier, SpongeBob SquarePants (only seasons 1-3 though; everything after that is crap) and Recess. Although I did see a CatDog episode recently and it's aged sorta well.

With hind sight, were some of them really as good as you remember?

Foster's definitely has NOT aged well: either that or I was just really lenient about the show's flaws when I was, like, 12 or so. A lot of them do hold up though, which is imporessive. I'm not sure if the Ben 10s or the Phineas and Ferbs will do the same in 10 years from now.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Among the moderns of that time I also reeeeeally grew up with teh classics. Classic Looney tunes, classic tom and jerry... things like that.
    But I also watched all of those you listed, plus Hysteria!, Timon and Pumbaa, The Weekenders, Gargoyles... I REALLY miss those shows.

Do you still watch some of them now?
    When I can, I do. The child in me still finds much more enjoyment in cartoons.

Most of them, yeah, shockingly enough. Though there was one (I've been trying to remember it for a few days because a couple weeks ago I had this conversation with a friend) where when I was young I would be all "Oh my god this is so cooool!" But I saw it recently and I was just like "What the... Why the heck did I like this?!"

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Captain Planet, Tiny Tunes, Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Looney Tunes, Jabberjaw, Tom & Jerry, Tom & Jerry Kids, Hey Arnold, CatDog, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, I M Weasel, The Smurfs, 2 Stupid Dogs, Darkwing Duck, Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego, Rugrats, The Simpsons, Swat Kats, Courage the Cowardly Dog & Tale Spin.

CN still plays Tom & Jerry, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Dexter's Laboratory on occasion. The others I haven't seen in forever.

I still enjoy watching them. My memory is pretty good and my humor is about the same as when I was a kid thanks to the fact I never stopped watching kid's shows, so to me the ones I liked I still like and the ones I loved I still love.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Captain Planet, Tiny Tunes, Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Looney Tunes, Jabberjaw, Tom & Jerry, Tom & Jerry Kids, Hey Arnold, CatDog, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, I M Weasel, The Smurfs, 2 Stupid Dogs, Darkwing Duck, Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego, Rugrats, The Simpsons, Swat Kats, Courage the Cowardly Dog & Tale Spin.

CN still plays Tom & Jerry, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Dexter's Laboratory on occasion. The others I haven't seen in forever.

I still enjoy watching them. My memory is pretty good and my humor is about the same as when I was a kid thanks to the fact I never stopped watching kid's shows, so to me the ones I liked I still like and the ones I loved I still love.

Oh my goodness I forgot about 2 stupid dogs. I loved that show. So.... much... I believe Cartoon Network has started playing Looney tunes again. The classics. They're gonna do a CG series with them. Not too excited about that.

And I thought about it! One of them was Rugrats. I mean it was a good show when I was young, but looking back on it, the parents were TERRIBLE. I mean just look at the movies....

1. the babies (with a newborn) who don't live very close to a forest, GET LOST IN SAID FOREST trying to return Dil. NO ONE NOTICED THEM LEAVE and they should have died....

2. Babies... in paris... IN A GIANT ROBOT DINOSAUR..... Again, unattended And they all leave the kids rather than opt to not go to the wedding when it is decided they cannot go.

3. They get lost on a deserted jungle island full of dangerous/poisonous plants and animals and for most of the movie their only protection is someone who has amnesia to the point where he thinks he's 3.

I still like the SHOW... Because it's not THAT BAD.... especially in relation to the movies.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, CatDog, SpongeBob SquarePants, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Recess, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rugrats, All Grown Up!

Sometimes, If either there's a good episode on or I'm in the mood for watching them or if there's nothing else on :P

Yeah, they were all brilliant cartoons IMO, none of them were boring, they were all funny/entertaining in their own unique way which is why I liked so many and I think they're all great!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What were some of the cartoons that you used to watch as a kid?: Rugrats, Rocket Power, Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, SpongeBob SquarePants, Dexter's Laboratory, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Codename: Kids Next Door

Do you still watch some of them now?:
    When a replay of any of the above episodes shows, I sometimes watch it.

With hind sight, were some of them really as good as you remember?:
    They're as good as I can remember them.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Also, I remembered the cartoon I was really trying to think of.

Ren & Stimpy
    That show... when I was a kid I LOVED that show... looking back on it, all I cna think is "WHAT THE CRAP WAS I WATCHING?!"
    It's just... so.... eugh,,,

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Ren & Stimpy was pretty much the one show I wouldn't watch when I was a kid: the designs were so unusual, the colours so muted. However, it seems really appealing from what I've read about it: apparently, the humour was very bawdy for its day, and even had to have loads of stuff cut from its broadcasts, like burning the US Constitution, a running gag involving severed heads and a torture theme of one notorious episode 'Man's Best Friend'.

Sounds awesome!

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Ren & Stimpy was pretty much the one show I wouldn't watch when I was a kid: the designs were so unusual, the colours so muted. However, it seems really appealing from what I've read about it: apparently, the humour was very bawdy for its day, and even had to have loads of stuff cut from its broadcasts, like burning the US Constitution, a running gag involving severed heads and a torture theme of one notorious episode 'Man's Best Friend'.

Sounds awesome!

Sounds about right. XD It's really awkward though. ._.
    Hindsight does glorify things sometimes though.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Some of them include: Ed, Edd n' Eddy (my favourite show), SpongeBob SquarePants, CatDog, Angry Beavers, Jimmy Neutron, Cow and Chicken, Powerpuff Girls (Don't judge me on that), As Told By Ginger (or that either), Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold, Codename: Kids Nextdoor, Ren and Stimpy, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Rocket Power, Rugrats, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Foster's Home for imaginary Friends, Invader Zim and many more.

I would watch all of them if they aired them.

Yes, I love the nostalgia, todays cartoons can not compare.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I have a big list of cartoons I used to watch, yet those of note were Rocko's Modern Life, SpongeBob, Fairly Odd Parents and Courage the Cowardly Dog.At least, those 4 I remember watching religiously. Others I occasionally watched.

Sometimes, I watch a few if they are on and nothing else is. One that I definitely would watch again and again is Rocko's Modern Life, but since NickToons in the UK at least is somehow less about Toons, more about the things Nickelodeon share (with all the kid comedy things like Drake and Josh. It's called NickTOONs for...) then it is hardly on.

I remember a few months ago watching Rocko's Modern Life about 2 years after I last remember watching it, an I still loved it like I did then. SpongeBob on the other hands, whilst I still like it, just doesn't seem as good. Same with Fairly Odd Parents. Courage though still shines as one of those "classics"

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I watched a lotta cartoons. I still do watch some of the 21st century. .-.
    I'll try to list what I can remember and adored: Dexter's Laboratory, CatDog, Powerpuff Girls, Life of a Teenage Robot, Sonic X, Fairly Oddparents, Jimmy Neutron, Drake & Josh, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, American Dragon: Jake Long, Blue's Clues (!!), the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Totally Spies

I just watched Ed, Edd, & Eddy the other day! Dang, that was blissful nostalgia tripping. The same jokes and same scenario. I still laughed my butt off.

Maybe I am just nostalgia tripping but I still consider some of my fav cartoons superior to today's cartoons. I cannot stand the cracked voices of the twins starring in Suite Life. I recently watched Courage the Cowardly Dog and it was kinda silly.. Hair growth episode. :P

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Lawd, um. There was Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Rugrats, Sonic X, Barney, The Wombles and more but I can't remember, loads of the disney & CN show's.

Well, I watch Scooby doo some times. :3 Tom & Jerry occasionally, most of the CN/Disney show's. :3

The Wombles > everything, I loved that show! @_@ and It is better than some of the cartoon's which are on our screens today. <:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Talking in the DCC yesterday about cartoons people used to watch when they were much younger made me all nostalgic about my own experiences with animation and the like. So: What were some of the cartoons that you used to watch as a kid? Do you still watch some of them now? With hind sight, were some of them really as good as you remember?

Oh god, here's a non-exhaustive list: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, CatDog (obvs), SpongeBob SquarePants, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken (but NOT the I Am Weasel spin-off: an example of not following the simple maxim of 'less is more'), Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Recess, Animaniacs, Gadget Boy and there's still so many more...
    ALL OF THIS

Hey Arnold! is immortal in greatness. But really it is actually good. And tons of nicktoons are great I'm a late 90's kid mostly but I remember it all. AND DBZ was my show...

But looking back at recess that show was bad. It had horrible humor. Spinelli was just weird too... And T.J. thought he was a thug.

Why were the 5th graders in Hey Arnold! so jacked?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    Tom and Jerry and SpongeBob SquarePants.

I still watch SpongeBob SquarePants sometimes.

They're as good as I can remember, and I still consider Tom and Jerry as a great cartoon.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
    I did watch:

Rocko's Modern Life
    Spongebob Squarepants
    Wile E Coyote And Road Runner Shorts
    The Powerpuff Girls
    The Winnie The Pooh Adventures
    Goofy Shorts
    Donald Duck Shorts
    Rollie Pollie Olie
    Henry's Amazing Animals
    Aladdin
    Rugrats
    Hey Arnold!
    Kablam!
    The Angry Beavers
    Hercules
    The Lion King's Timon And Pumbaa
    Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers
    Ducktales
    Inspector Gadget
    Darkwing Duck
    Mighty Ducks
    Kim Possible
    Detention
    Invader Zim (Few episodes)
    Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi
    The Ripping Friends (Only one episode)
    Various Alvin And The Chipmunks Adventures
    Ferry Boat Fred
    and
    Various Classic Cartoon Shorts From Long Ago That I can't Name All Of Them!

I still watch most of these shows, mostly on Youtube or on VHS tapes.

Yeah, most of them are really good for their times.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I only have nostalgia for 3 cartoons, Ren and Stimpy and the two Mario ones. The Mario cartoons are so terrible not even nostalgia can make me watch them, and I haven't seen ren and stimpy for years.

(As a rather humorous, I always fought that Ren and Stimpy was known as Ren and Scampi ಠ_ಠ.

Back