• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Castelia City

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Probably one of the most revolutionary cities in Pokemon. The angle changed, NPCs could bump into you, it had its own sewers, it hosted the Royal Unova, it seemed almost impossible to navigate (compared to the pain of Lumiose City, it's nothing) and there were so many different connections coming off it (as in heading out into the ocean).

• What were your reactions when you first saw Castelia City? Would you have considered it a risky move? What about now, did it pay off?
    • Which was your favourite part of Castelia City?
    • Was it big enough? Would've you preferred if the harbour had more extensions... so that you could travel to somewhere even more amazing?
    • What if Castelia City never existed - would have the games been fine without it?
    • What was your favourite memory in Castelia City?
    • Would you eat a Casteliacone??? What do you think it would taste like?
    • Castelia Park: Was it large enough? How else would've you liked to access it other than the sewers? Why is such an important place in the games located only through exploring the sewers?
    • The sewers: Necessary or not?
    You don't need to discuss everything here, but those questions came to mind when I thought about Castelia City. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh my god, as soon as I saw the thread title, the music started playing in my head, haha. Anyway, when this city was revealed, I remember everyone going apeshit and I, at the time, was trying to avoid spoilers. So I didn't look myself, just knew everyone was going bananas. So when I actually got there in the game, I thought it was pretty impressive, but nothing to go bonkers over. I went more nuts over moving diagonally in the next generation, but that's a topic for another day.

So first thing's first...I have to point out that Castelia City has points to get my top three favorite Pokemon: Umbreon, Petilil, and Victini. You get Eevee (it counts alright) and Petilil in BW2's Castelia Park and Victini in BW from boarding the boat from Castelia's docks and going to Liberty Island. :) So! That's a pretty neat little thing, especially when you consider how different my top three are from each other. Wouldn't expect to find them in (nearly) the same place.

I think I did manage to get a Casteliacone from the store once...haha. I figure they would taste like...have you ever had the Mayfield snow cream ice cream flavor? It's very sweet and icy, similar to snow (I'm not sure if they used actual snow, I just know it was called snow cream) and it melts in your mouth. Really nice. So that's what they remind me of, haha.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    The first time I saw Castelia City was when I was actually playing the games. I crossed Skyarrow Bridge, amazed at how the graphics changed to show the scope of the bridge. Then, ahead of me, there was Castelia City, rising up from the mists. It was the first time that a big city in a Pokemon game actually looked big.

What I liked best was running through the side streets, on the way to different parts of the city or just out of the city. It felt like a busy city full of rushed businesspeople on their way to work or home. Even when you stop in their path, they don't just run into you and stop. They run to the side and continue on their way.

Then you have the street dancers, the clowns, and the regular folk who all live together in this giant city. And that's what I like the best about Castelia City: it's a giant place where people of all sorts live together. Which really shows what America--and specifically New York City--is like. NYC is a giant place where people of all sorts live together.

Castelia City should have also had the baseball stadium. Let's go, Mets!

Casteliacones probably taste like vanilla ice cream, but vanilla ice cream with a little bit of freezerburn on it, so it's more icy than cream.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Oh my god, as soon as I saw the thread title, the music started playing in my head, haha. Anyway, when this city was revealed, I remember everyone going ape**** and I, at the time, was trying to avoid spoilers. So I didn't look myself, just knew everyone was going bananas. So when I actually got there in the game, I thought it was pretty impressive, but nothing to go bonkers over. I went more nuts over moving diagonally in the next generation, but that's a topic for another day.

So first thing's first...I have to point out that Castelia City has points to get my top three favorite Pokemon: Umbreon, Petilil, and Victini. You get Eevee (it counts alright) and Petilil in BW2's Castelia Park and Victini in BW from boarding the boat from Castelia's docks and going to Liberty Island. :) So! That's a pretty neat little thing, especially when you consider how different my top three are from each other. Wouldn't expect to find them in (nearly) the same place.

I think I did manage to get a Casteliacone from the store once...haha. I figure they would taste like...have you ever had the Mayfield snow cream ice cream flavor? It's very sweet and icy, similar to snow (I'm not sure if they used actual snow, I just know it was called snow cream) and it melts in your mouth. Really nice. So that's what they remind me of, haha.
    You know what's bad? When posting this thread the music DIDN'T return to my head... which sucks because I was just listening to it two minutes before lol.

I have not had that. :( Although I personally think maybe fairy floss combined with soft serve vanilla ice cream is how I'd best imagine it. C:
    The first time I saw Castelia City was when I was actually playing the games. I crossed Skyarrow Bridge, amazed at how the graphics changed to show the scope of the bridge. Then, ahead of me, there was Castelia City, rising up from the mists. It was the first time that a big city in a Pokemon game actually looked big.

What I liked best was running through the side streets, on the way to different parts of the city or just out of the city. It felt like a busy city full of rushed businesspeople on their way to work or home. Even when you stop in their path, they don't just run into you and stop. They run to the side and continue on their way.

Then you have the street dancers, the clowns, and the regular folk who all live together in this giant city. And that's what I like the best about Castelia City: it's a giant place where people of all sorts live together. Which really shows what America--and specifically New York City--is like. NYC is a giant place where people of all sorts live together.

Castelia City should have also had the baseball stadium. Let's go, Mets!

Casteliacones probably taste like vanilla ice cream, but vanilla ice cream with a little bit of freezerburn on it, so it's more icy than cream.

Yeah true, it looked huge at first. Even from the initial screenshots (for me) I was like ok what this place is gigantic. Then we got Lumiose City and I'm like noooooooo :(

I actually don't think of it all being combined like that. I thought of it as just a business place but it's true, it is the central hub of Unova. I guess with that said there should've been people from other places in the region come to there occasionally (like you'd find it every few days). Would've been cool.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    My favorite memory would have to be... the way they handled entering Castelia for the first time, through Skyarrow Bridge in BW, is outstanding. Seeing that skyline on the horizon was such a defining moment for me. But that may count as a Skyarrow Bridge memory, so I'll also add in the TM Flash guy... and the fact that in the room with the Game Freak employees the music director starts playing the HGSS Team Rocket theme--I always thought that was rather comical, but also a nice little bonus track, too.

I love the character the place has. The Gym Leader being an artist fits perfectly with the city's "New York New York" feel. The guy who jumps out at you from behind the dumpster and gives you TM Flash... And there's also ice cream. I want a Casteliacone; I'm sure they taste just like vanilla ice cream! But of course they look much cuter.

I think the reason why Castelia Park is only accessible through the sewers is to solidify it as the "forgotten birthplace" of the city. Everything developed around it without much thought for it, and soon only the sewers led to it. Speaking of the Sewers, I definitely think they were a cool addition to the place in B2W2. It definitely gave more significance to the city.

CDB

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    As someone who's from New York City, Castelia City is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon places by far haha - they captured the feel of the city so well - the skyscrapers, the businessmen bustling about, the long dark alleyways and the hidden cafes with chill musicians playing, & especially just how many different things there are - and I also loved the little "Central Park" they added haha although it was more like a fountain with a couple of dancers nearby.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
  • I remember seeing the first screenshots of Castelia City in 8th grade and just losing my shit. I was so excited. Ughhh
    It's a pretty awesome city. Sometimes I like to just run around in it and soak in the atmosphere. :')
    Also, of course I would eat a Casteliacone. It sounds so freaking good.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • I found Castelia to be a truly enthusiastic city. U see, just before the skyarrow bridge, the camera angle changed so much, and the bridge itself was so awesome.. i knew something cool was coming up. And yeah, the castelia street, where people would ocassionly bump into u, and the central plaza, and the headquarter of those statisticians (or whatever), this city had so much to offer. And yes, the harbour should have been a better one. When i visited 'em, i was expecting a lot more than they had, absolutely nothing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I found Castelia to be a truly enthusiastic city. U see, just before the skyarrow bridge, the camera angle changed so much, and the bridge itself was so awesome.. i knew something cool was coming up. And yeah, the castelia street, where people would ocassionly bump into u, and the central plaza, and the headquarter of those statisticians (or whatever), this city had so much to offer. And yes, the harbour should have been a better one. When i visited 'em, i was expecting a lot more than they had, absolutely nothing.
    With such an awesome setup in Castelia they could have easily created a gigantic harbour and connected it to other regions. It was meant to be the start to a new generation of Pokémon but it didn't connect us anywhere. Victini and the Royal Unova was something but even in real life NY apparently connects people to the world. Now THAT would have been awesome.

I remember seeing the first screenshots of Castelia City in 8th grade and just losing my ****. I was so excited. Ughhh
    It's a pretty awesome city. Sometimes I like to just run around in it and soak in the atmosphere. :')
    Also, of course I would eat a Casteliacone. It sounds so freaking good.
    Time has flown by! It's really cool how they showed that though. Castelia got so many people excited from the start because it's like nothing we've EVER seen before. Pretty cool stuff.

As someone who's from New York City, Castelia City is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon places by far haha - they captured the feel of the city so well - the skyscrapers, the businessmen bustling about, the long dark alleyways and the hidden cafes with chill musicians playing, & especially just how many different things there are - and I also loved the little "Central Park" they added haha although it was more like a fountain with a couple of dancers nearby.
    The park was way cooler in the anime. Should have been larger with wild Pokémon too. While it was big in parts it should have been... bigger you know?

My favorite memory would have to be... the way they handled entering Castelia for the first time, through Skyarrow Bridge in BW, is outstanding. Seeing that skyline on the horizon was such a defining moment for me. But that may count as a Skyarrow Bridge memory, so I'll also add in the TM Flash guy... and the fact that in the room with the Game Freak employees the music director starts playing the HGSS Team Rocket theme--I always thought that was rather comical, but also a nice little bonus track, too.

I love the character the place has. The Gym Leader being an artist fits perfectly with the city's "New York New York" feel. The guy who jumps out at you from behind the dumpster and gives you TM Flash... And there's also ice cream. I want a Casteliacone; I'm sure they taste just like vanilla ice cream! But of course they look much cuter.

I think the reason why Castelia Park is only accessible through the sewers is to solidify it as the "forgotten birthplace" of the city. Everything developed around it without much thought for it, and soon only the sewers led to it. Speaking of the Sewers, I definitely think they were a cool addition to the place in B2W2. It definitely gave more significance to the city.
    But the sewers sort of gave it a dull feel like wow the city with everything awesome and cool and then boom sewers and the only way to get to this useful little park. Maybe if we had like another way to reach it that'd be cool but what about the Pokémon? Either they learn to climb or they're stuck in this lost piece of grass forever. Kinda dodgy imo.

Medal rally office, it was the most difficult place to find.
    Tbh that shouldn't have been there. Medals seem more exciting and more amusement like compared to business-y. Should have given it to Nimbasa!

Back