• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cat vs. Dog

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
  • Well, wild cats run around all over the place, and that's what Raikou and to some extent Entei resemble. Not domestic cats (and even those sometimes do.)

However, I still call them "The Legendary Dogs" simply because that's what they supposedly are, I like dogs better, and they're all supposed to be the same species. I guess even the two cat-looking ones could be canine or canine-related.

Yes, I completely agree. Even though they admittedly do look a lot like cats.

You make a fine point, Manaphy1128. But the images never load for me, and I really would like to see the comparisons being made.

I pretty much agree with Stardust-Kumo, except for the fact that they all seem like dogs to me, even Raikou. I don't know why, I just see them that way. And everyone will see them differently. Because of that, not everyone will think they are cats and not everyone will think they are dogs. I don't call the Hoenn trio the "Three Regis" or "Legendary Golems," but "Legendary Kings." I have my own reasoning for it, and everyone will have their own for the Johto trio, too.

There is little to no true science in Pokemon. Like I said in my previous post, if there was, Pidgey couldn't use Fly out of battle. A tiny bird like that couldn't carry a 10-11-year-old across vast distances. And I've never seen a real duck looking like Psyduck. If the Pokemon designers can make Psyduck look so "fake" compared to a real duck then they can by all means make dogs look like cats. All we really have as proof as to what the trio is is the information given to us from official sources, and very rarely does anything get more official than the games themselves. So if the Pokedex entries for Raikou (and the other two, for that matter) isn't proof enough that they are all dogs, then I can't really see what can be.

On another note, my friend once told me that they're not dogs or cats, but just Pokemon. Not very factful and scientific, but in a way, true... >.>;
    Oh my gosh, YES! That's what I wanted to say, I just couldn't think of a way
    to word it. In the pokemon world, there is no mention of any "animals".

mod edit: this thread was split from this thread, due to it having been revived.

Last edited by a moderator:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • To be hinest when I see Suicune I think of a dog. It's body is very similar to that of a Greyhound which is one of the fastest dogs but it's face is more like a cat.

coachwhipneoship

squeezer of lemons
    Years
  • Yeah, Suicune is 100% dog to me. It's the other two that are very, VERY feline. Oh, well. They ARE Pokemon, after all, and not actually dogs OR cats...:3 Do dogs and cats even exist in the Poke-universe, anyway? :/ How would they know what they were, to call them "Legendary Dogs?" Hunh...^^

Greetings

I liek bananaz D:
    Years
  • Raikou's a cat, since when? Well, he does look like one...
    On the other hand, Suicune is obviously, without a doubt, a dog.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • To tell you the truth, I see no resemblense whatsoever between the dogs and felines

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Maybe they weren't supposed to resemble cats OR dogs. Like someone in this thread has already stated, they're just... beasts. x__x;;;

If I had to say what they looked KIND of like though, I'd say Raikou is definitely the saber tooth, Entei the Lion, and Suicune either some kind of leopard, or a wolf of some sorts. x.x *dies*

-Neko

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Maybe they weren't supposed to resemble cats OR dogs. Like someone in this thread has already stated, they're just... beasts. x__x;;;

If I had to say what they looked KIND of like though, I'd say Raikou is definitely the saber tooth, Entei the Lion, and Suicune either some kind of leopard, or a wolf of some sorts. x.x *dies*

-Neko

No!!!!! Don't die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :'(

Hey, by the way did you people ever wonder why Eevee's eyes are so shiny?
    It's weird....

Last edited:

coachwhipneoship

squeezer of lemons
    Years
  • "Suicune: The most confusing to take into account as a feline, its snout is a dog like structure, though it also has set in eyes that are sharp like a cat's more then dogs. Another note is again it's build, lithe and swift. Another observation could be its rather large ribcage, undoubtably suitable for swift movement; hence cheetahs, leopards, panthers, etc.
    Claimed:Feline

No way! I don't care what you say. I'm never giving.
    Suicune is 100% dog.
    And Entei, well it has its lion-like features,
    but keep in mind: Its pokedex entry
    clearly states that Entei barks. Plus,
    do you see any retractable claws?
    And Raikou, I think everyone can
    agree, is 100% sabertooth tiger.
    No question."

Right. Raikou is pretty obviously a tiger. Entei is lionlike, but...he's sort of half-dog, half-cat. And on the other side, Suicune IS totally canine. The fact that it has a lithe, graceful build designed for speed and agility does not make it cheetah-like or otherwise feline; sighthounds (dogs like Greyhounds) are the animals that it reminds me most of.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Right. Raikou is pretty obviously a tiger. Entei is lionlike, but...he's sort of half-dog, half-cat. And on the other side, Suicune IS totally canine. The fact that it has a lithe, graceful build designed for speed and agility does not make it cheetah-like or otherwise feline; sighthounds (dogs like Greyhounds) are the animals that it reminds me most of.
    Yay! Total agreement!
    :rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo:

Last edited:

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Actually, Entei has retractable claws. :3 If I remember correctly from the 3rd Pokemon Movie, when Entei is about to give Charizard the ending blow, his paw on Charazard's neck has claws, while otherwise he doesn't. And I think I have seen other moments with claws too. :3

As for the Feline/Canine thing. The sages said that they were dogs... so it's Nintendo's translation. I don't know what they say in the original version. The same?
    I gotta admit that I haven't really thought about that. =o I have, in the first place, always seen them as Pokemon, Legendary Pokemon. =/ When playing the game or watching the anime, I rarely think about the design behind it, it's only later that I do so. And I'd rather think about others than those three.

Raikou is deffinitally the one of the trio that is the most cat-like. the patterns on its furr make it like a tiger, add the teeth, and he's a crossbreed of a Sabertooth and a current Tiger.

Entei's questionable. Although I can't think of a dog right now that has a face and build like Entei, there's a chance. His face is that of a feline, rather... flat? Which is in high contrast to Suicune.
    Suicune has the build of a wolf and it's movements remind me me of that, but the also has the grace of the fast felines.
    Raikou's a cat, the rest is questionable.

Perhaps it might be helpful to do research in the Japanese history about cats and dogs? Or their names? =/

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    There are no cats or dogs in the Pokemon world, so it doesn't matter what they resemble

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'd have to say suicune is a cat, and so is raikou.
    suicune has a cet-like structure and a slender looking body.
    the only dogs i see are chubby.
    raikou, it just looks like a cat.
    entei looks the most dog-like to me.
    its teeth, body structure, and some other stuff look dog-like to me.

Oh, and ^^, obviously, but sometimes it doesn't even resemble an animal or anything at all.
    Carnivine is based off of a plant, porygon is just a polygon, but there are some unowns in the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I would say they are dogs i have always called them the legendary dogs so that's what i think.

Back