• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Catching Legendaries

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
  • It used to take me a whole day to catch some of these legendaries, but now I can do it pretty easily with a few repeat balls and an appropriate trap. There's definitely been an increase in catch rates across the board, and I'm all for it, because this was done with the intention of changing playstyles in VGC.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I have all of them in Alpha Sapphire, and all except Cresselia in Omega Ruby.

How/where did you find all those? I'm pretty new to the newer games.

During the story, you will get an item called the Eon Flute. With it, you'll be able to access new locations with legendary Pokémon waiting to be captured. Some of those locations are only accessible when you have on your team Pokémon that meet special requirements, such as full EVs, full happiness, level 100 or specific species.

Two of the legendaries don't require the Eon Flute, but IIRC do require you to have the National Pokédex.

Years
  • I have all of them in Alpha Sapphire, and all except Cresselia in Omega Ruby.

During the story, you will get an item called the Eon Flute. With it, you'll be able to access new locations with legendary Pokémon waiting to be captured. Some of those locations are only accessible when you have on your team Pokémon that meet special requirements, such as full EVs, full happiness, level 100 or specific species.

Two of the legendaries don't require the Eon Flute, but IIRC do require you to have the National Pokédex.

Ohhh okay. I want to try and finish my Dex and have every Pokemon including the legendaries. does it take a long time?

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2015
    i have every Legendary in ORAS so far minus Kyogre, i GTS traded to get the ones from AS since i have OR

i traded for Latias, i traded for Lugia, i traded for Zekrom and traded for Dialga, the good news is i did not trade ANY legandaries away, so i have all of them still haha

and 2 Kyruems to boot, so i have black and white Kyruem hanging out in my bank

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2015
    Just finished catching them all today, the feeling of having a box full of legendaries is amazing, and watching them all in the pokedex

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2015
    Only one I've caught so far is Terrakion, Groudon and Rayquaza. In the process of training a Gallade with False Swipe/Hypnosis/Thunder Wave/Shadow Sneak, per someone's earlier suggestions. Just bred the Ralts this morning, and it's currently a Lv. 55 Gallade thanks to the Blissey bases (seriously the best addition ever). Going to use the Gallade as my legend catcher. Named him Bandit.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Ive only caught Kyogre, I nearly caught Cresselia and Azelf but ran out of balls, does anyone know an easy way to catch legendaries

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
    Years
  • I'm currently catching the dogs *I'm being lazy since I haven't played the game in two days*.
    I've caught Entei & am going to catch Suicune & Raikou when I feel like it lmao
    So far I've caught Kyogre, Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit, Heatran, Dialga, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Lugia, Entei, Latias, Rayquaza, Deoxys, & Thunderus.
    I'm currently looking for people who will trade with me for a Tornadus & Palkia so that I can catch Giratina & Landorus.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2015
    I got my Gallade at lv 100 so I've caught a few more.

Adding to the list: Virizion, Mesprit, Azelf, Ho-oh, Suicune.

Completely spaced and missed the chance to get Cobalion yesterday (Wednesday), didn't even play yesterday. Oh well, I'll get it next week. Really excited to get Entei and Raikou now though, will probably actually use them because I love them so so so much.

Years
  • And not long ago I got Reshiram, Palkia and Ho-Oh as well, the very latter with four 31 IVs and 30 Speed, and the other two had decent stats all-around. I'll go for Kyurem once I have another Master Ball, and something with the proper amount of Speed to check against it.

Years
  • My hunt is paused because I don't have the Alpha Sapphire exclusives. >:(
    Anyway, I've caught almost everything you can get in OR.

Years
  • So far I have these:

Latios
    Latias
    Suicune
    Entei
    Raikou
    Ho-oh
    Groudon
    Deoxys
    Cresselia
    Mesprit
    Uxie
    Rayquaza
    Tornadus

All pokemon I have caught have been with either pokéballs or premier balls, the only great balls, ultra balls etc that I have in my bag were items i picked up

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • So a couple things I learned yesterday:

- Regigas is only available before 6 PM, even if you have met all the other requirements. Not a lot of the guides mention that delightful tidbit.

- The rule about legendaries being unavailable for 48 hours after you've changed the time on your system clock is not restricted to Mirage Spots.

I'm sure you guys can fill in what happened from there -_-

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It's been a while since I caught a legendary without a Master Ball. I was pleasantly surprised that I caught Mesprit in 11 turns and used a Dusk Ball. I want to catch a shiny Zekrom/Cresselia at some point without using my Master Ball.
    I'm going to 4-Up you here. Easy catching guide for the Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf trio: use Dark types due to Psychic immunity. All moves available to them are, by who uses them, Future Sight/Extrasensory (all three), Yawn/Amnesia (Uxie), Lucky Chant/Charm (Mesprit), and Uproar/Nasty Plot (Azelf). My premium choice was a Crawdaunt with False Swipe; it was immune to Future Sight and Extrasensory, and most of what was left (Yawn, Amnesia, Lucky Chant, Charm, and Nasty Plot) had no impact after I got the subject down to 1 HP, leaving only Azelf's Uproar to worry about.

Uxie, at 8 PM, was my first attempt yesterday. It went into a Poké Ball without much trouble.

Azelf was a pain and took several attempts to get down to 1 HP. Once I got it there, I lost all my Pokémon and dropped over 5K, so reset and retried. This time, my Lv.46 Crawdaunt stood up to Azelf's Uproar long enough to get its HP down to 1, and I had a few knockouts. This caused the Nameless Cavern to disappear from the map as the KOs temporarily reduced friendship.

This morning, I wandered the waters around Mossdeep to regain friendship with a few levels and chanced upon a Shiny Pelipper, and thankfully I had Crawdaunt handy for the catch. Following this battle, I got the Nameless Cavern back on the map, and Mesprit was another easy battle. However, I used 47 Poké Balls, then had to reset because I ran out; I did test and catch on the fifth Great Ball, but with such an easy battle I was using the regular ones as my money is short after buying some Revives (I need to do some rematches or clone my expensive Comet Shards). The second attempt went on the 22nd toss.

So, to sum up, all three in the trio in regular Poké Balls, and a Shiny Pelipper as a bonus. That's a pretty good 24 hours! As for why I used regular Poké Balls: I did the entire Safari Dex from X/Y by catching every Pokémon with every ability in the Friend Safari (did I mention they're all female except for male-only and genderless species?), so I'm continuing the old-school methods with everything except the storyline Groudon, which I sealed on the 10th Ultra Ball very early Christmas morning (Rest is too much to deal with at the level you likely encounter it at). I made an exception for a Poochyena with a good Egg Move when I ran out of Poké Balls in one game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    I've been really lucky with my legend hunt up until now.
    Caught Kyogre after like 5 ultraballs and caught Cresselia (got the Crescent Isle right before going to the League) in a premier ball after 2 quick balls.
    The natures have not been on my favor, Kyogre and Latias have booty natures, but Cresselia is Calm, i guess it's good

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I haven't caught any Mirage spot/Regis yet. I want to shiny hunt one of them, and I haven't really decided on which one I'm going to hunt, so uh yeah. I do have Kyogre and Rayquaza though!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I'm going to 4-Up you here. Easy catching guide for the Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf trio: use Dark types due to Psychic immunity. All moves available to them are, by who uses them, Future Sight/Extrasensory (all three), Yawn/Amnesia (Uxie), Lucky Chant/Charm (Mesprit), and Uproar/Nasty Plot (Azelf). My premium choice was a Crawdaunt with False Swipe; it was immune to Future Sight and Extrasensory, and most of what was left (Yawn, Amnesia, Lucky Chant, Charm, and Nasty Plot) had no impact after I got the subject down to 1 HP, leaving only Azelf's Uproar to worry about.

Yeah I utilized that strategy already. Sharpedo and False swiping Poison Heal Breloom were on my Nuzlocke team. Breloom is surprisingly bulky, too.

I'm glad I got the shiny Zekrom in a Luxury Ball since then, but I've yet to find Cresselia. I'm planning on using Endeavor Staraptor and Spore Parasect to catch her leaving the Master Ball as a last resort. I've wanted a shiny Cresselia since 2007.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Yeah I utilized that strategy already. Sharpedo and False swiping Poison Heal Breloom were on my Nuzlocke team. Breloom is surprisingly bulky, too.

I'm glad I got the shiny Zekrom in a Luxury Ball since then, but I've yet to find Cresselia. I'm planning on using Endeavor Staraptor and Spore Parasect to catch her leaving the Master Ball as a last resort. I've wanted a shiny Cresselia since 2007.
    Cresselia is the one you have to keep an eye out for because her island is as random as other Mirage Spots. It's near the Pokémon League (south, I think?), but I have yet to see her island. I'm making note, when I do, that I need to bring my Lv.100 Haxorus in to assist with the task just to be sure I get it when the opportunity comes.

I might then use that Haxorus to access the Trackless Forest and take down the legendary dogs in turn (Raikou/Entei/Suicine). Right now, they aren't a concern. I just felt like taking care of the Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf trio since I had a lovely Crawdaunt ready to assist with the relatively easy task. I should have done Mesprit first and Azelf last, however, though I would not have known that the area they come from still appears on the map without an indicator if I did because Azelf caused the most trouble with a 90 base power move, and actually caused the area to vanish after I caught it. Easily remedied, however. Cresselia will be my next target.

I kinda wish an in-game Darkrai was available with Cresselia on your team, but there was the event one, so I guess I won't argue that.

Back