• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Catching Mew

Morbid Anatomy

Hierarchy
    Years
    Now I searched around the forum and couldn't find a thread about it (And if there is sorry) so here goes, this is my guide to catching Mew on Red Yellow and Blue version for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color.

Note: You should save before doing any of the following

After saving your game what your going to want to do is battle and defeat
    Catching Mew

Then you should go to the patch of grass left of the Nugget Bridge next to the river to catch Abra. Note: Do not battle with the trainer hiding in the grass Now with Abra in your party stand just out of view of the trainer that was previously mentioned. Step forward so he can see you and at the same time press the start button and command Abra to teleport, if done correctly a ! will appear above the trainers head.

Walk past
    Catching Mew
    v

And battle with

Catching Mew

After winning the battle head back to Nugget Bridge, on your way the pause screen should pop up press start to get ride of it and you will enter a battle with a wild Mew.

If you have any problems with this method let me know

Note: When doing battle with trainers after teleportation make sure there is a space between you and said trainers or the game will freeze

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Useful, yes, but you do know there's a different way, right? However, I think this way allows you to get it quicker. The way I did it involved Fly and Lavender Town.

What level is the Mew on?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Yeah, the other one is at level 7 as well. Meh, I don't plan on starting a new game any time soon, seeing that I have a Mew on Red already, but there's only one flaw I find in that one: Abra ain't the easiest booger to catch. But still, it works sooner.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015

Old news is old

you can also use this method to catch any other pokemon, just battle a different trainer
    including Missingno in Yellow

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    On the japanese versions some guy in Celadon gives you Mew for getting every pokemon in the pokedex(except Mew) but for some reason they changed it to a certificate in every other version

Fredu999

Pro Drummer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    It's not that hard, just takes a couple of minutes. Mine is lvl 64 whitout Rare Candies.

Terror

I do all my own stunts.
    Years
    I got a Mew traded to me from a friend (I think he used an Action Replay :s ) we managed to duplicate it (disconnecting the transfer cable at exactly the right time).

For some reason my version (Red) had the Japenese sprites for the Mew (according to bulbapedia). Anyone know why?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    On the japanese versions some guy in Celadon gives you Mew for getting every pokemon in the pokedex(except Mew) but for some reason they changed it to a certificate in every other version
    This is not true

This is not true

This is not true

Why do people keep repeating this

-Raiken-

L is real 2401
    Years
    Well actually, I have never tried this but my brother has indeed and he told me it works. Now seeing this thread, I want to try it myself and go get myself a Mew x]

Dr. James

Experimenting
    Years
    I believed that too. That the guy in Celadon gives you Mew. However, I was corrected later by an expert. He said that he gives you the diploma in the japanese version as well, and I believe him.

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
    It was interesting when I did it. When I walked on the bridge, the team rocket guy started talking to me while he was invisible. After I completed the glitch I went to see the rocket guy and he vanished from the end of the bridge.

Back