• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Catching other trainer's Pokémon

Have you intentionally tried to steal other trainers' Pokémon?

• Yes

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

Guest123_x1

How often have you, without a cheating device, intentionally tried to capture another trainer's Pokémon?
    When I first started playing the games (starting with Yellow, at the end of 1999 into 2000), I would often try to catch Pokémon that couldn't be found in the wild from other trainers... of course all I got was the "The trainer blocked the ball. Don't be a thief!" error message every time.
    Really stupid and ignorant of me since I read the manual and the warning sign in Viridian Forest which explicitly stated not to catch other trainer's Pokémon.
    (I was also a complete newbie when it came to RPGing at the time.)

I grew out of this bad habit eventually. After that the only other instances of me attempting to steal other trainer's Pokémon were by accident.

Last edited:

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • I did it when I just started out, but quickly grew out of it. The whole thing about stealing other people's Pokemon was something Team Rocket would do and I was curious if they'd ever make a Pokemon game where you were a member of the evil team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ever since I started playing the games, I never attempted to catch another trainer's Pokemon because I was afraid of being called a thief at that time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In Yellow, I would forget if I was in a trainer or wild battle and accidentally tried to catch someone's Pokemon. I felt bad after that though, lol. But I've never intentionally tried to catch someone's Pokemon, excluding Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. :P

Velvex the Øverlørd

The Apparition
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2013
    I don't recall ever doing it, if I did it was right when I got Blue and was too young to remember. Back then when I would have been naive enough to do it, I also didn't care much about catching Pokemon that I wasn't interested in having as a part of my team, so I probably didn't care enough to try it.

Years
  • Ah, memories...

In Crystal I saved my Master Ball for the perfect occasion. After already beating Red a couple times I remembered that I still had the Master Ball. Red has some incredible Pokemon, they'd be perfect to snag. Next time I battled him I tried to snag his Blastoise, but got very angry when it didn't work. The game had lied to me. After all, they said that the Master Ball would catch any Pokemon without fail.

I think it's pretty funny that two Pokemon games were inspired by "don't be a thief".

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Once or twice in the first generation games when I was first starting out. Then again in Sapphire because a trainer was using a Pokemon that wasn't in my pokedex and I mistakenly thought I was battling a wild Pokemon. Wow, that was embarassing lol

Years
  • I used to. And I also used to try and rob Team Rocket's Pokemon. (I thought if I caught them I could give them back to trainers, and get a reward xD)

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Ohh so many times :') Mainly when I was younger, I was like "oh muh godz Gengar. Catch > Fail > Cry"

I still do it now, When I get annoyed with a gym leader/Elite 4/Trainer I'll probably try to catch the Pokemon that's annoying me. lmao

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I used to. And I also used to try and rob Team Rocket's Pokemon. (I thought if I caught them I could give them back to trainers, and get a reward xD)

I just have to say, this could quite possibly be the most adorable thing I've ever heard.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I have done it before when I was little. I sometimes think the trainer battle is a wild battle and then try to catch the Pokemon. If the trainer was to block the ball does that mean if they weren't fast enough we could catch their Pokemon?

Phantoon14

Actions Define Users
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    Don't recall doing it so I'm gonna have to say no, but I probably have sometime. Dunno though :/

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Unthinkingly, when I was younger, I made an attempt to catch Gary's Bulbasaur in Red (I chose Squirtle as my starter back then). It was funny though when Bulbasaur pulled away.

Years
  • The only time I can honestly recall trying to catch someone else's Pokemon was in Yellow, when I tried to get Team Rocket's Meowth. I remember I was pretty disappointed when it didn't work.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I used to do it by accident, mostly because I forget whether it is a trainer battle or a wild Pokemon battle. But now days I don't get them mixed up anymore~ :P

Guest123_x1

The only time I can honestly recall trying to catch someone else's Pokemon was in Yellow, when I tried to get Team Rocket's Meowth. I remember I was pretty disappointed when it didn't work.
    Team Rocket's Meowth was one of several unavailable in the wild Pokémon in Yellow that I tried to catch. I also tried to catch their Ekans and Koffing as well. I also remember trying to catch Bug Catchers' Weedles as well as Lt. Surge's Raichu.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • First I did it to see if it would work, but after that I did it once more because I felt like it. I haven't done it again though. I'm glad you can't steal other trainer's Pokemon. Because that would probably mean they could steal yours. And the Pokemon games would be a lot less fun if some "Pokemon Master" in training off the road could just snag your most precious, lvl 100 starter with who you spent so much time with, and who is your bestest bestest friend, and you half sob whenever it loses (which isn't much), you take it everywhere, give it haircuts and massages, miss it whenever you put it in the PC, and bla bla bla bla bla... I could go on and on. Aaah, Typhlosion, I still miss you, even though your only in my PC... :)

Back