• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Catching up

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2012
    So back in first generation days, I used to love playing Pokemon. I bought the red, then blue, then yellow...well, basically I bought them all up to and including crystal. Spent way too much time playing, but then college got in the way.

Fast forward to today, and there's 3 generations I completely missed. In fact, I don't even think I still have my gameboy advances anymore.

I figured since I'm not doing anything interesting this year, I'd pick it up again, and see how much its changed. I spent the last 3 days watching the 12 movies, and reading up on the wiki. But I still feel clueless, so I came hoping for a little help.

1) I'd like to fill my Pokedex as much as possible. Even for trade/trade back would be fine, as I don't tend to use legendaries much. Which games would I need to purchase to get them all? 2 from each generation, or is there a way to skip a couple?

2) I read in the wiki something about a way to use the Generation 4 and 5 games by putting a generation 1-3 cartridge (advance) in. How does that work? Worth the effort?

3) Tied into the above, I see that the DS/Lite is different from the DSi/XL because it doesn't allow Advance cartridges to be put in. Should I get an older DS instead of the new to make up for this?

4) Then there's the 3DS, the newest handheld. Is there any word yet if this is going to be required for the 6th gen games? Assuming its not, is there any reason to pay more for it over the older DSs?

5) What priority order would you recommend I buy the games in? I plan on White first and foremost because I can finally sport an all dragon non legendary team with the additional species from it. What would you recommend order wise?
    White
    FireRed
    LeafGreen
    Ruby
    Sapphire
    Diamond
    Pearl
    HeartGold
    SoulSilver
    Black
    (Platinum/Emerald)

6) Is there any way to play the handhelds on the TV yet? I remember in the stone age days, I could put red and blue into an adapter thingy in the SNES and I could play via the SNES. I have a nice plasma screen now and I'd love to play it all in 60 inches.

Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Play them in the order they were released, don't bother buying Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond or Pearl because they've been superseded by better games.

Buying multiple games to collect Pokémon has become moot ever since trading Pokémon over the internet was made so easy in Generation IV. The only games that supported using GBA Pokémon games in the second cartridge slot were Diamomd, Pearl and Platinum and only allowed you to capture old Pokémon that can be found much easier now anyway.

DS and DS Lite systems are cheap and will play all Generation III to V games so far. The DSi is a waste of money for the tiny benefits it gives.
    While it's now obvious that the next main Pokémon game will be on the 3DS - just like every other big Nintendo game, it does not show signs of being released in English for at least another year and a bit at which point the 3DS will likely be even cheaper.

Gameboy Advance games can be played on a television through the Game Boy Player attachment for the Nintendo Gamecube. There is no way to play DS games through a TV due to the problems involved in displaying the screens and Nintendo being reluctant to design around the Wii's issues to do this.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2012
    I'm confused. Play them in order, but don't buy Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond or Pearl? Are you saying just buy Emerald/Platinum instead?

Thanks for the handheld info. DS Lite it is.

blue

gucci
    Years
    It's best to buy the third game of each Generation so for example:

Yellow
    Crystal ~ If you want to play both but if not go for HG or SS, much upgraded version unless your nostalgic.
    Emerald
    Fire Red Or Leaf Green (Both the same aside version exclusives)
    Platinum
    Heart Gold Or Soul Silver (Both the same aside version exclusives)
    Black or White - Considering there is no third game yet but look up the differences because there are more between each game in Gen V, hope this helped!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What's with these threads lately? Just go with the orders you've been given, I guess. If you have more questions about the games, please ask in their Q&A thread. Please. Please. PLEASE. kthanks!

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back