• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Caves of Terra and Marine

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There were two caves exclusive to Pokémon Emerald, known as Marine and Terra. These would be unlocked after you were done defeating the league, and by doing so, you'd have an opportunity to capture Kyogre and Groudon. So, anyway, what are your thoughts on these caves? Have you known that they existed? Have you explored these places and caught both the legendaries successfully? o:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I have caught both of them in their caves. I've known they existed, but they were just there, and not really important.

Years
  • I actually hadn't known that these caves existed until I ended up at the weather institute while looking for a Feebas. Other than battling the legendaries, there really isn't much to do in either cave, and each respective cave permanently disappears after you capture/ defeat Groudon and/or Kyogre. In my opinion it would've been better if there was a set place for each of them to appear instead instead of having these caves that move around the region (like Groudon at Mt. Chimney and Kyogre in the Seafloor Cavern, or something like that)

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I didn't know for a while that they existed. I did eventually search up on how to get Groudon/Kyogre in Emerald, and that's when I had found about the existence of Terra/Marine Cave. Seriously though, I really like these caves. They just seem so awesome! Especially the names.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Me too didn't know that these caves are existed.I accidentally ask one of the scientist of the Weather Institute while im searching for Feebas. Then i found about this two caves (Marine/Terra) and i caught those two Legendary(Groudon & Kyogre) with Ultra Ball

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • There were two caves exclusive to Pokémon Emerald, known as Marine and Terra. These would be unlocked after you were done defeating the league, and by doing so, you'd have an opportunity to capture Kyogre and Groudon. So, anyway, what are your thoughts on these caves? Have you known that they existed? Have you explored these places and caught both the legendaries successfully? o:

I'm glad that the 2 caves provided the opportunity to catch Groudon and Kyogre in Pokemon Emerald Version.. As for the concepts, it was kind of weird to have "roaming Caves", although the accompanying weather-intensifying effects were nice.. XD They totally should have had "Drought" and "Heavy Rain" override the music whenever the 2 locations appeared, though. I think I found about them in the various "New Locations of Pokemon Emerald" while browsing around the Emerald section of Serebii.net around the time of the game's release.

I guess the names were to be expected, with the whole "land vs. sea duality" going on - a more fanciful yet basic way to say "Land Cave" and "Sea Cave" without actually saying those names.. XD Seems like a Woolseyism in the case of Terra Cave, which (according to Bulbapedia) was actually called Land Cave in the Japanese edition of Pokemon Emerald Version.. If I hadn't learned of the term terra way back when from WarGreymon's Terra Force attack (of the Digimon franchise, specifically Digimon Adventure), then I feel like Terra Cave would've been my first instance of encountering the term.. I feel like "Marine Cave" should be "Marina Cave", though, so the names match a little more..

In my opinion it would've been better if there was a set place for each of them to appear instead instead of having these caves that move around the region (like Groudon at Mt. Chimney and Kyogre in the Seafloor Cavern, or something like that)

This; my actual headcanon/fanon is that Groudon and Kyogre are caught in Mt. Chimney and Seafloor Cavern, respectively.. I mean, wouldn't Groudon and Kyogre just return to where they were "dormant" all these years rather than randomly carving out brand new caves as abodes..? I guess Groudon would probably be disturbed by Team Magma, though, since their Magma Hideout is practically right on top of/meshed in with his sleeping area.. XD But anyways, "Mt. Chimney" and "Seafloor Cavern" have more creative names in my opinion, Terra Cave and Marine Cave seem like logical extensions of those areas, anyway, and Mt. Chimney and Seafloor Cavern even share the same music (aptly titled "Mt. Chimney") with Sky Pillar (where Rayquaza is caught regardless, even after it is disturbed in Pokemon Emerald).. Not to mention that Mt. Chimney, Seafloor Cavern, and Sky Pillar seem to "match", being areas of great peril where the player must appropriately ascend or descend in order to reach the respective legendary super-ancient Pokemon that inhabit each area.

So, Terra Cave and Marine Cave were somewhat nice in concept, but I would rather have the "post-game area to catch Groudon/Kyogre" just be Mt. Chimney/Seafloor Cavern (specifically, the areas where the Red Orb and Blue Orb glow in Emerald), although complete with the corresponding overriding weather effects and "weather crisis" music.. Moreover, I wouldn't mind if "Terra Cave/Marine Cave" were just made as unlockable new "rooms" in Mt. Chimney/Seafloor Cavern, respectively, after the player beats the Hoenn Elite Four/Champion (similar to how you can access the Hoenn Safari Zone expansion area or the Meteor Falls room where you can battle Steven Stone).

Additionally, the two caves arguably weren't even needed separately; you could have easily made them as unlockable new rooms within the Cave of Origin (and it makes sense as an area that Groudon and Kyogre would retreat to, given that the "weather trio/Super-ancient Pokemon" crisis battle occurs within Sootopolis City itself, and the Cave of Origin is like right there behind the battlefield. That would've been a much better implementation in my opinion, seeing as how the Cave of Origin becomes criminally underused as a shell of its former self in Emerald, where the only purpose is to briefly meet wild Pokemon and encounter Wallace in a plain cave room.

Years
  • I pretty much thought you couldn't get Kyogre and Groudon in Emerald.
    I searched for their whereabouts after beating the game for the first time, Mt. Pyre, Magma Hideout, Mt. Chimney, Seafloor Cavern, Sootopolis City, nobody even mentioned their names (what the hell).

Then I went to the Weather Institute and talked to the guy, hoping that he knows something, there he found droughts and heavy rainfalls, it was pretty obvious that Kyogre and Groudon were causing those.

That's all, you should have already known what I did next.

Years
  • I actually completely forgot about the fact that these caves moved. That seems so stupid to me now. Why couldn't they just be stationary at the spots that you already saw the Pokemon? Caves don't move. I mean, sure, I guess the fact that they were so big, they could've made new caves, but it seemed like they were always pretty chill until they were disturbed and that moment after the Elite 4.

They really went against the whole story aspect by making the caves of dormant Pokemon move.

Back