• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Celebrate #Pokemon20

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
  • I was about..7 when Pokemon came to the state. I loved Pokemon from day one. It's what kept me into gaming for the longest time.

One memory I can remember is one of my cousins talking about the MissingNo glitch. I have no idea where he found out about it, but it surprised me that there was something like that in the game. Startled me a little when I found out about the Hall of Fame corruption side effects afterwards.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
    Years
  • I was really really young when Pokemon first dominated the world of kids and gamers everywhere.

I didnt watch much of the anime but I knew of it's existence, and when I wasnt playing on my genesis or any of my mom's Mario Games. I would always attempt to play Pokemon Blue with my weirdly leveled team going up against the Elite 4

Years rolled by and then I got more into the anime and the games, loving each one that came out. Generation 2 brought me one of my favorite games, Pokemon Stadium 2.I started to collect the movies, played the GCN titles, Gen 3, 4, 5 and now 6.

Its amazing that something that people tease adults for playing for something kids and teens today play in the world of HALO and Call of Duty and League of Legends and or many other mainstream game that "You should be playing" that Pokemon; Pocket Monsters grows to be bigger and better than those titles.

Its 2016, and Now I am finally starting the mangas, and my love for the anime has been rekindled

Years
  • I guess I'll start with my very first encounter with Pokémon. It was Fall of 1998 and the Pokémon craze had just begun in the USA... In my birth month, September, as a matter of fact! This was when Red and Blue and the first season of the Pokémon anime aired in the USA. But my very first experience with Pokémon actually began when I went to a KFC one day during this time period, and they had a promotion where they sold bean bags of four Pokémon: Vulpix, Zubat. Seel. and Dratini. Loving canines and felines the most, of course I picked Vulpix, or "Turkey Dog" as I called it initially. {XD} I still have that Vulpix plush to this very day...
    tumblr_ma6tbpnWBN1qid2nw.gif

Of course, soon after, I started watching the anime and got Game Boy Color and Pokémon Red and Blue for Christmas. Pokémon was my life back then. I was kind of a dumb kid and honestly I don't know how I beat the Elite Four when I never used potions or other healing items. xD My obsession for Pokémon games and especially other parts of the franchise has waned somewhat with age, especially at some point during mid Gen 5. But Pokémon has always remained close to my heart and I always have some idea of what's going on in the Pokémon world.

How do I plan to celebrate this year? Well, by embracing and rekindling my love for Pokémon more! I'm gonna take a trip down memory lane and watch the first season of the anime, playing Yellow when it releases on eShop (I actually never got to play Yellow back in the day), watching all of the Pokémon movies, including those I haven't seen, and completing some recent Pokémon games that unfortunately ended up in my backlog at some point. I'm definitely gonna try to grab those legendary Pokémon during their distributions throughout the year. I also want to up my game in Super Smash Bros and get good at Pikachu again, and try learning how to play Greninja, Lucario, Charizard, and the other Pokémon in the Smash roster. Maybe collecting the rest of the Pokémon amiibo, too... I'm likely to take a look at Pokkén Tournament as well. One art project I could try at some point during the year is re-drawing an old Pokémon picture. I have a super old drawing of my favorite legendary, Suicune, from when I was like 7 or 8 years old. I should definitely make a picture of Suicune that does it justice now that I am older and more experienced. {XD}

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • My fondest Pokemon-related memories are playing Blue, Silver and Crystal with my brother when we were younger, or waking up early to watch the anime, or battling on Pokemon Stadium 2 ahaha. So much childhood innocence and it was all so exciting back then :,)

I haven't played Pokemon much over the last few years and my interest is dwindling tbh but it's brought me to many amazing online communities so for that I'm thankful 8)

Years
  • The 20th anniversary falls on my mother's birthday which is pretty awesome! My Mum is the main reason I got into Pokemon as a kid. She played Blue and I played Red and we used to have a lot of fun playing and trading together.

Pokemon has meant a lot to me over the years in terms of friendships I've made, toys I've collected, art I've created and OF COURSE let's not forget the hours and hours (and hours hehe) spent actually playing the game haha! Pokemon has really allowed me to hold on to my childhood as I've grown up and made my way through the world. I love that it's more than just a game, it's like a culture really. I love that so much strategy is involved and how there are just so many ways to enjoy the franchise.

I will definitely be getting Red again when it's released and I will play through it and maybe even do some new art to celebrate the 20 years.

All the Pokemon love!! ^^ ♥

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I was introduced to Pokémon via Super Smash Bros., and I've been hooked with series through all six generations. 20 years is a great milestone, but TPCi has to realize that they have competition this year with Zelda and Sonic, who also have milestone anniversaries.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Let's not talk much about my first memory of Pokemon. It was when the Porygon episode aired in Japan and sent children to the hospital, and I watched the news story on television. They showed a clip from the episode where Ash fought Brock.

So instead I'll talk about my fondest memory of Pokemon. That would be my days spent playing the TCG at my local league. I had friends that liked something that I did with the same fervor. It was also the first time that I stepped up into a leadership role, when I became the Gym Leader for the league.

I'm not really going to do much for the 20th anniversary. I might just play through Black, doing a Nuzlocke run to get some ideas for a story. Nothing too exciting.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • 20 years is a great milestone, but TPCi has to realize that they have competition this year with Zelda and Sonic, who also have milestone anniversaries.
    It's always like that. Oh well. I think TCPi should be more concerned with making sure they don't release their games within a week of games that have the same fanbase. Looking at you Fire Emblem Fates and Project X Zone 2 (both be competing with RBY as well, given they come out a week later).

I say that, and then realize that the Pokemon fanbase is unique in so many ways. First of all, it still exists after 20 years (Citation: This forum). Secondly, it spans all ages, something that most games can't claim (Citation: Play Pokemon events, this forum). It has found a way into every aspect of our culture, and looks to continue that way.

Everyone can enjoy Pokemon in some way or another, and it's great to see how it unifies people from all over the world. If you had told me before I started playing that I would be having to coordinate times to play a video game with people half way across the globe from me, I would not have believed you. But here I am.

The real reason behind this, from what I have seen, is the universal themes it covers. Friendship, trust, struggle, all understood anywhere in time or space. Just look at the quotes in my sig. People of every nation cried together when Grovyle sacrificed himself to save the world (be honest, you cried during that scene). PMD2 discussed big topics such as betrayal, suicide, and the idea that our actions could bring about the destruction of the world in a way that touched children's hearts. Hell, I still get teary when I hear "I Don't Want to Say Goodbye" or "A Wish for Peace" from PMD2. Almost everyone understood what Team Plasma's message was in Black and White, and it made many seriously consider the moral code that the Pokemon world lives by. Lysandre's message in X and Y was profound as well, he even cried upon telling the player that Pokemon would be removed from the world. Even Cyrus had logical reasons for his actions (they were the same as Lysandre's). All of these characters had perfectly logical points to consider, even if their methods were not acceptable. These are why people stick with Pokemon rather than Digimon or the like.

"Life can be a challenge.
    Life can seem impossible.
    It's never easy when so much
    is on the line.
    But you can make a difference.
    With courage you can set things right.
    The gift to dream and make dreams real
    is yours and mine.
    "
    - "The Power of One"

Pretty damn good for a 100th post :P

Last edited:

xxScarletDragonxx

Food Lover
    Years
  • If it wasn't for the franchise I would have never met most of the amazing friends I have now! Seriously, some of them I've been friends with for years all because we had a similar interest in Pokemon. It definitely holds a special place in my heart.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2016
    Oh wow its been 20 years already *.*
    Pokemon has impacted me so deeply I cant explain how much it has integrated itself into my life
    I started playing when I was around 3 or 4, that was over 10 years ago, when I got a copy of Pokemon Red(**** releases late here in Pakistan). Me and my cousins basically grew up on it. I kept playing it long after most kids my age left the franchise, and got into competitive battling around 6 years ago, when I was 9. That actually changed my life in a way I couldnt have imagined.
    My bipolarity struck hard around 4 years ago. There was a stretch of a few weeks when I nearly lost my voice because I didnt talk to anyone. My mother had been taken to the hospital, and I fell into deep depression. I lost the few friends I had, who didnt appreciate me being moody and antisocial, and my teachers thought I was slacking. Then, about four months after that, I was messing around on PS and I found a girl from my school who was as insane about Pokemon as I was. We quickly became friends, and I looked forward every day to getting home and battling her, improving my technique, making teams on the fly, having weird ass conversations and just all around being fun as hell. She was my first legit best friend who didnt need me to make an effort to be social in school, who didnt mind my mood swings. And even now, 4 years later, shes still the best friend Ive ever had (so Im antisocial and dont make friends easily, sue me xD), shes the only person who knows about my disease and its amazing to think that four years ago, it was Pokemon that got us together. SO yeah, Pokemon impacted my life in a way I dont think Id ever have believed possible.

Saintscrew7

Helpful little Angel
    Years
  • Uh...
    20 years?! Wow, didn't payed attention to the time. But it had influenced in me: A average guy with a "Impossible" dream. But once he/she took life one step at a time, it seemed easyer with each step. For me drawing, cooking, gardening, (it seems simple), but that were my "Pokemon Master" goal. I learned to keep going, no matter the scars, defeats, and such to stop me to reach for the goal. Even making friends was impossible, (fer me I mean), I usually am for my self. Instead of being with other people, don't know why. But pretty much that's how it influenced. :)

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I decided what I will do. Since I first played Red, my favourite Pokemon has been Mewtwo. So I'm ordering myself a little Mewtwo Pokedoll :D I will also integrate the one I caught (yes, with the classic Pokeball! :P ) on X into my team and level it up. :3

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • So since NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL ME that the Pokemon movies had been released to Itunes and Amazon Video (Including shiny digitally remastered versions of the first 3), I think I'll pick one up and watch it. Or just watch Arceus and the Jewel of Life, which I have on DVD.

EDIT: Here is the list of movies now on Amazon Video and Itunes. I assume Play has the same selection. Italics are new this week. Don't ask me what happened to movies 5-7 (the Hoenn ones).
    Pokémon: The First Movie
    Pokémon the Movie 2000
    Pokémon 3: The Movie
    Pokémon 4Ever

Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
    Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
    Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
    Pokémon: Giratina & the Sky Warrior
    Pokémon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life
    Pokémon—Zoroark: Master of Illusions
    Pokémon the Movie: Black—Victini and Reshiram
    Pokémon the Movie: White—Victini and Zekrom
    Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice
    Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened
    Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages

SOURCE: Serebii and Itunes and Amazon Video

Last edited:

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
  • I remember getting pokemon red when it came out over here. I remember as a child sitting in the backseat of my parent's car playing Pokémon Red as we drove to Disney World. I have played the games ever since.

Years
  • Im 27. Been playing Pokemon for a long ass time. I never legit had all 151 or all of the other series Pokemon. Never had friends growing up. Id just skateboard and play Pokemon. Im getting my original hall of fame team off gen 1 tattooed on my right hand and my latest gen team on my right. Im also getting the scene where ash said bye to butterfree as it's the first time i ever cried lol. And im going to draw a design for a skateboard so i can hang it up of Pokemon.

NeonLycan

The Bodacious Captain Resentment
    Years
  • I've played the game series for a looong time at least in my opinion... Since I had started with gold version in my youngest of times and usually in a tough moment I would go back to gold and then just go to viridian forest and listen to the music, until I guess gold version started showing its age and has deleted my save and now no longer saves, but I guess that's just it I suppose. Now, I just started playing Pokemon omega ruby to re-experience the hoenn region again, every now and then I start to think about how if I had just invested into that mega memory card game boy cartridge then I would still have my gold saves.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I wasn't born yet when Pokemon started in Japan! But when it came out in the US, I was probably only one.

I started playing when I was ten or eleven, I haven't looked back since, in 2017, it'll have been ten years since I got into Pokemon, which is pretty cool. I remember some of my noob mistakes, such as using a Master Ball on Unown, and my very first Shiny Pokemon, which was a Ponyta.

Right now, I think Pokemon has gotten kind of eh, with Mega Evolution being a thing. I still love it, but I'm kind of tired of all these changes, I hope the next games are more exciting, tbh.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    when i first saw pokemon i didnt like it, and now i have been playing pokemon for years now. i dnt even remember y i didnt like pokemon in the first place. but since the 20th anniversary is said to be coming up, i wonder

wat is ur favorite pokemon?

i like Bulbasaur and Scraggy :D

honestly i dnt like mega evolutions at first. but then i kept watching gameplays on youtube and now i feel like its not tat bad. maybe u will get used to it too

Last edited by a moderator:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I've been at this Pokemon thing for so long, I don't really know what to say about it. It just is. It's a constant in my life that I can't seem to ever remove, and the thing other than Final Fantasy that I've be interested in the longest. I've latched onto it due to my fascination with the monster designs and the lore about them. Non-humans are always infinitely more interesting to me. Although I find the gameplay and story to be dated, immensely repetitive from installment to installment, and in sore need of some kind of revamp, I still play it due to the fact that I love those monster designs. I am fascinated by imagining myself interacting with each Pokemon, by the concept of going on a journey with these creatures, and by the concept of actually BEING one of these creatures. If it weren't for the creatures, I wouldn't care about it at all. But they're there, many with enticing and interesting designs, many that I don't really want to own, but just stare at in awe, study, research, and interact with. (Huh, I suppose I'd want to be a Professor if I lived in that world.)

And it has influenced my life immensely. My only social circle for most of my teens was a Pokemon forum. That forum shaped and influenced me to levels I can't explain. For better or worse, it made me who I am. I met these people, and I grew.

I won't really celebrate, because I don't feel a need to celebrate and because I don't really have anyone to celebrate with. This is something that has always been in my life. It's normal and everyday. If I find something new, that's when I'll celebrate.

Back