• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cell phone Tutorial

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    This is my first tutorial, so try to stay with me, and, if you make it to the end, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated.

This is a tutorial to make a cell-phone in your game, like I am doing in my game. If you have ever played Pokemon, this is like the PokeNav, but a Cell Phone. This is a little time consuming, but it's worth it. You get a good Cell phone system in the end. NOTE: I used RPG Maker 2003, so I'm not sure if this will work with 2000.

All right, start out by going into the database and making the item. Make it a switch, give it a price of 0 (we don't want our player to sell it, do we?), give it unlimited uses, and tell it to turn on switch [####: PhoneOn]. Make it a Field Activation only. Make another item, and call it Phone Book. Make this one a switch as well, and, again, make its uses unlimited, and tell it to turn on switch [####: PhoneBookOn] . Give the description something like this: "A Book with all the phone numbers of everybody!" Hit apply and head over to Common Events. Create a new event, call it Phone, make it a Parallel Process, and set its Trigger Switch to Phone On. You're going to want to add this coding (it's in red, to be able to notice it):

< > Label: #
    < > Message: What would you like to do?
    < > Show Choices: Call Someone/Turn Off
    : [Call Someone] Handler
    < > Message: Enter the number of the person you wish to call.
    < > Input Number: 6 Digit, [####: Dialed Number]
    < > Branch if Var [####: Dialed Number] is V[####] Equal
    (This is the number of the person you wanted to call)
    < > Message: … … … … … …
    < > Message: *Click*
    < > Message:
    (Whatever you want the person to say)

Then at the end, place:

:
    : *Click*
    < > Jump to Label: #
    (Whatever you had above)
    < >
    : Else Handler
    < > Message: Sorry, but the number you are trying to reach does not exist.
    (Same as above)
    < >

Repeat the Branch for every person you have, but change the variable and the message. Then, at the very bottom, where the Turn Off Handler is, put this:

: [Turn Off] Handler
    < > Switch Operation: [####: PhoneOn] OFF
    < >
    : End
    < >

You put the PhoneOn off operation because that, in a sense, turns off the phone, and 'deactivates' the Common Event until you need to use it again. But, we're not done yet. Make another new Common Event, and this time, call it PhoneBook. Set this one also as a Parallel Process, and make its Trigger Switch [####: PhoneBookOn]. Put the following coding in:

< > Message: Would you like to read the Phone Book?
    < > Show Choices: Yes/No
    : [Yes] Handler
    < > Message:
    (The people's Phone Numbers. For example:
    Me……………………..#
    Someone……………….#, etc.)*

Then, after all your messages, place this:

< > Switch Operation [####: PhoneBookOn]OFF

*NOTE: You can only have 4 people per Message, so if you have 16 people, you need 4 messages. Now, at the end put:

: [No] Handler
    < > Message: Didn't want to.
    < >
    : End
    < >

Now, you may be thinking, "But, this means people can call other people that they haven't met yet!" No problem! Just go back to your Phone Common Event, and add this (the added coding is in blue):

< > Label: #
    < > Message: What would you like to do?
    < > Show Choices: Call Someone/Turn Off
    : [Call Someone] Handler
    < > Message: Enter the number of the person you wish to call.
    (This is the number of the person you wanted to call)
    < > Branch if Switch [####: (Person's name)NumberOn]
    < > Message: *Click*
    < > Message:
    (Whatever you want the person to say)

Then, at the end of the Branch for the switch, add this (again, the added text is in blue):

:
    : *Click*
    (Whatever you had above)
    < >
    :
    : Your call has been rejected!
    : Jump to Label: #
    (Same as above)
    < > Message: Sorry, but the number you are trying to reach does not exist.
    (Same as above)
    < >

And there you go! Now, with each character that you added to the Phone Book, add a switch operation to their coding, turning switch [####: (Person's name)NumberOn] on, add a wait command for about a second, and add a message that says: "So-and-So was registered in your Phone." Lastly, add a variable operation, setting variable [####:(Person's Name)Number] to the number that you want their cell phone number to be.

That's it! Enjoy it, but give me credit in your game.

Last edited:

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    GymLeaderLance99 said:
    This might be useful for my Gold remake, but will it work if you want to get rematches?

Well, you just insert another Conditional branch that checks to see if a switch called, say, GymRematch1 is on, and give it an else handler. Then, at a certain point in the game, add an event that turns on that switch. In the else handler, just put what you want the person to say when you would normally call them.

Next, a bank system!

Phoenixx

Spriter In The Making
    Years
    I'm very new to game making, and I have no idea what a switch is, and much less, anything about scripting. Can you explain to me what a couple things are?

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    Phoenixx said:
    I'm very new to game making, and I have no idea what a switch is, and much less, anything about scripting. Can you explain to me what a couple things are?

Maybe this should be my next tutorial. A Noob guide to RPG Maker. I'll get some screens for you.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Phoenixx said:

goto https://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/
    They have beginner tutorials and advanced tutorials. You should get the basics down before you start looking at how to make phone systems and stuff this complicated, no offense. PM me if you need help.

Next, a bank system!
    How about show them how to mak your mom the bank.:t249:

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    PokeCreator_09 said:
    How about show them how to mak your mom the bank.:t249:

Hmmm, that would work, too. And, it would help people making a Silver and Gold remake. Good idea.

Years
    Phoenixx said:

I just have one question...if you are new, before going to RMXP shouldn't you experiance RM2K3 first? ^.^

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Poke_DaviD said:
    I just have one question...if you are new, before going to RMXP shouldn't you experiance RM2K3 first? ^.^

He should experiment with both of them. If you get used to RM2K3 and expect all of the event features then switch over, you might have a problem. I really suggest expeimenting with every game maker you can find, that way you'll figure out which one you're more comfortable with.

diarugapal

galipoka rocks
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Dec 12, 2012
    its cool but how do you make it so when you put in the digits, it'll be the right person.

for example: if i want to put 6 digits, and {persons name}'s number is "99999", how do i do it? do i put 6 digits in?

is this any related to the Password tut?

edit: oh yeah and when I view the Phone Book, it continues on and on.

Last edited:

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    Ya see, AipomDude, when you add this:
    A little message box somes up with 6 digits (or however many you want, according to the digit number you have, in this case 6.). Then, it takes the number you inputed and it stores it in varibale Dailed Number. So when you have this branch:
    You check to see if the variable you inputed is equal to another variable, which has someone's number in it.

And, about the problems, I think I know what's going on. To make the Phone Bokk stop going on and on and on and on and....you get the picture. All you have to do is, at the end of your messages, put this:
    Then, under the [no] handler, after the message, put this:
    Sorry about that. And I've edited my original post so people don't get confused.

diarugapal

galipoka rocks
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Dec 12, 2012
    What is the label for? Because in our game when I tested it out and put 0000, it was the mom's cell. and the label was 1.

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    AipomDude said:
    What is the label for? Because in our game when I tested it out and put 0000, it was the mom's cell. and the label was 1.

Okay, the label is so that, after you make a call, it jumps back up to the "What would you like to do?" message, where you can turn off the cell phone.

Yeah, you have to set Each person's phone number to a certain variable when you talk to them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2007
    yeah That must help this 2 version's are like the same the only Difference is the RGSS scripting in Rpg Maker XP

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    GymLeaderLance99 said:
    How would you go about making the hero get a call while walking on the routes, like in GSC/E?

First off, sorry for taking a while to respond. I've been busy...

You could, at a certain point in the game, have a switch turn on that activates a Common Event. Then, if you want other types of messages, have a random variable. For the random messages have a conditional branch for each number. Then type the message that you want. At the end, put whatever switch you turned on, off.

RaveGamer

The Raving Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    I have a question for you since I'm really not that good at scripting, which event command gives you
    < > Branch if Var [####: Dialed Number] is V[####] Equal ? I'm confused at that point :(

Back