• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Gumball Watterson was eliminated.

Team Ludicolo-
    Spoiler:

Team Spheal-
    Spoiler:

Good job on the first challenge.

Your job is to correctly identify the name of and arm the three gladiators below with the provided armor and weapons. There is a specific formula for what belongs on which gladiator. The name clue will operate as a hint. There are two hints provided for each and a third will be provided at a team's request after the first twenty-four hours.

Each item can only be used once, and there's no guarantee every item will be used.

Items
    Sword
    Small Round Shield
    High Leg Greaves
    Dorsal Helmet
    Net
    Sickle
    Padded Shin Guard
    Low Leg Greaves
    Dagger
    Spear
    Talon Helmet
    Trident
    Large Oblong Shield
    Shoulder Guard

Gladiator 1
    - "_ _ R _ _ _ L O _ E _"
    - This gladiator is known for their focus on defense rather than offense
    - This gladiator is known for their weak shins

Gladiator 2
    - "_ E T _ _ R _ _"
    - This gladiator is known for their focus on offense rather than defense
    - This gladiator is known for their ease of movement

Gladiator 3
    - "_ _ P _ O M _ _ H _"
    - This gladiator is known for resembling the hoplite
    - This gladiator is known for making up where they fall short

The first team to private message me a list of correct answers wins; additionally, the team representative may choose half of their poisoned members to save. The losing team loses all of their poisoned members. If both teams answer the same amount of questions correct, both lose all of their poisoned members.

You have until July 8th 6PM EST to send in answers. Good luck.

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • The answers are as follows:

Murmillones
    Large Oblong Shield
    Sword
    Low Leg Greaves
    Dorsal Helmet

Retiarii
    Shoulder Guard
    Trident
    Net
    Dagger

Hoplomachi
    Small Round Shield
    Spear
    High Leg Greaves
    Talon Helmet
    Padded Shin Guard

Team Ludicolo's answers-
    Spoiler:

Team Spheal's answers-
    Spoiler:

Note: "Talon" was simply a hint as to the personality of the helmet's design.

Team Spheal wins the challenge. Their team representative my private message me one person out of their three poisoned members to cure and keep from being eliminated. On the other hand, Team Ludicolo's poisoned members have this last chance to sing their regrets before they viciously succumb to the poison. :)

If it's any consolation, Team Ludicolo would have lost even without the inclusion of the Talon Helmet.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Actually, the score should be 15 a piece by each competitor because a dagger was used by the Hoplomachii, as indicated by many sources

Hoplomachus: "The hoplomachus was outfitted in virtually the same way as the Thraex, except that the crest of his helmet lacked the griffin protome (the head of an animal or human used as a decorative element). The principal weapons of the hoplomachus were a lance (hasta) and a short sword or dagger that was held in the left hand, together with a small round shield. "

"Weapon: spear (hasta), dagger (pugio)"

"A dagger called a pugio or a semispathae or half-swords might also be one of this gladiator's weapons. The Hoplomachi also carried a lance (hasta). The hasta was not thrown, it was used for thrusting and approximately six feet in length."

"A hoplomachus was equipped with a helmet, a small round shield, a pari of high greaves and a manica on his right arm. He was armed with a spear and a dagger or short sword."

Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, Link 4

You should absolutely make sure that your information for the challenges are absolutely correct, as we had dagger under Retiarii and we knew he used it in combat, but we switched it over to the Hoplomachii because we knew each item could only be used once. In retrospect, this challenge should be a tie - 15 a piece for each team after both missing the Talon Helmet - and it should come down to who submitted their list first.

Last edited:

Sean

Years
  • A dagger was completely optional for the Hoplomachii (in regards to a "short sword"), while it was manditory for the Retariarii, maybe that's why it counted. You couldn't repeat so its natural the dagger went to retariarii

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • A dagger was completely optional for the Hoplomachii (in regards to a "short sword"), while it was manditory for the Retariarii, maybe that's why it counted. You couldn't repeat so its natural the dagger went to retariarii

If a gladiator used it, then a gladiator used it. That's a really crappy technicality if that's the case.

If you honestly think I'm going to allow 8 members of my team get eliminated because of a technicality, then you are sadly mistaken.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • The options given were the options given. You would think it natural for one to assume that the only dagger in play would go to the gladiator that must carry one, as it is their last resort lifeline in battle, while the other one is strictly optional or that can vary between such and a short sword.

Your adamancy is justified; however, even if things are changed to suit your contention, the challenge states that if both teams score the same points then both lose their poisoned players. I'm sorry if this displeases you.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • The options given were the options given. You would think it natural for one to assume that the only dagger in play would go to the gladiator that must carry one, as it is their last resort lifeline in battle, while the other one is strictly optional or that can vary between such and a short sword.

Your adamancy is justified; however, even if things are changed to suit your contention, the challenge states that if both teams score the same points then both lose their poisoned players. I'm sorry if this displeases you.

Yeah, it does displease me. If the challenge results are going to stand, so be it. But that's the second challenge in a row that members on both sides have been boned over because of a lack of clarity in the rules. The 1st Challenge being the "gif debacle," the 2nd Challenge with a lack of specificity that the gladiator "must" have the weapon/armor. For a Get-Together event, it's not that fun for anyone when you are eliminated on a lack of explanation or clarity. I understand that this is a competition and people need to be eliminated; but I think I speak for many when I say that a person shouldn't be eliminated because of a loophole in the instructions.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Yeah, it does displease me. If the challenge results are going to stand, so be it. But that's the second challenge in a row that members on both sides have been boned over because of a lack of clarity in the rules. The 1st Challenge being the "gif debacle," the 2nd Challenge with a lack of specificity that the gladiator "must" have the weapon/armor. For a Get-Together event, it's not that fun for anyone when you are eliminated on a lack of explanation or clarity. I understand that this is a competition and people need to be eliminated; but I think I speak for many when I say that a person shouldn't be eliminated because of a loophole in the instructions.

The problem in this case is more making sense of where the weapons should have been distributed. I shouldn't have to clarify "if one gladiator seems to require a weapon, give it to them" because that's common sense if you've done your research, of which you've obviously done plenty. I am willing to meet you halfway, in regards to the fact that my instructions could have (but probably won't in the future because the game requires you to be cunning on your own) been more specific, and allow you to pick half (four) of your poisoned members to be cured.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • I actually said if the dorsal helmet counts for the Murmillones then the talon should count for the Hoplomachi but they ignored me.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • That's why I'm dropping out.
    They trusted the guy who thought "gladiators with weak shins meant they recruited the crippled as gladiators and so they needed protection" (paraphrasing) with our list/decision making. The same one who couldn't differentiate foot wraps from leg padding and caused you to lose the elimination due to his inability to pay attention. He was also the major advocate of not putting the talon helmet on the list. He's the type who has to share his opinions and treat them as truth without actually researching or thinking about them.
    I'm not as nice as you are.
    This team's a little too frustrating for me to deal with for an intellectual activity like this.

For those of you who would argue "this is just a game, chill," your inability to think and comprehend simple things is not a game. It's your brain, it's who you are. You may be happy in your ignorance but I'm tired of seeng it everywhere I go.

As far as the majority rule thing goes, there's someone on this site who has an Isaac Asimov (great man) quote in their signature that speaks to how I feel on the subject.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • That's why I'm dropping out.
    They trusted the guy who thought "gladiators with weak shins meant they recruited the crippled as gladiators and so they needed protection" (paraphrasing) with our list/decision making. The same one who couldn't differentiate foot wraps from leg padding and caused you to lose the elimination due to his inability to pay attention. He was also the major advocate of not putting the talon helmet on the list. He's the type who has to share his opinions and treat them as truth without actually researching or thinking about them.
    I'm not as nice as you are.
    This team's a little too frustrating for me to deal with for an intellectual activity like this.

For those of you who would argue "this is just a game, chill," your inability to think and comprehend simple things is not a game. It's your brain, it's who you are. You may be happy in your ignorance but I'm tired of seeng it everywhere I go.

As far as the majority rule thing goes, there's someone on this site who has an Isaac Asimov (great man) quote in their signature that speaks to how I feel on the subject.

Rather than arguing, let me just say this: we live in a world of ignorance. You can't escape it by giving up on a simple challenge. That action is its own form of ignorance. Rather than backing away, stay a while and try to explain things how you believe them to be. Treat ignorance as a disease: it can be cured, but only if you work towards finding that cure, rather than avoiding the infection altogether.

But if you insist on leaving, may I make a request to Antemortem? If he leaves, may we opt to keep Umbreon in the game for a while longer? Treat Marsyas' resignation as the second poison death for this round?

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • Rather than arguing, let me just say this: we live in a world of ignorance. You can't escape it by giving up on a simple challenge. That action is its own form of ignorance. Rather than backing away, stay a while and try to explain things how you believe them to be. Treat ignorance as a disease: it can be cured, but only if you work towards finding that cure, rather than avoiding the infection altogether.

But if you insist on leaving, may I make a request to Antemortem? If he leaves, may we opt to keep Umbreon in the game for a while longer? Treat Marsyas' resignation as the second poison death for this round?
    I did try and it didn't work.
    I was, for the most part, ignored.
    I even requested others to read and review the debate then weigh in but still, nothing.
    May I suggest understanding a situation before voicing your uninformed opinion on it?
    Also the reason I'm ready to walk away from this is because it's a simple challenge.
    If it was a serious issue I wouldn't give up so easily.
    I just have more important stuff to do than trying to explain the basic concepts of critical thinking to people on a pokemon web forum.

Nice try though.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I did try and it didn't work.
    I was, for the most part, ignored.
    I even requested others to read and review the debate then weigh in but still, nothing.
    May I suggest understanding a situation before voicing your uninformed opinion on it?
    Also the reason I'm ready to walk away from this is because it's a simple challenge.
    If it was a serious issue I wouldn't give up so easily.
    I just have more important stuff to do than trying to explain the basic concepts of critical thinking to people on a pokemon web forum.

Nice try though.

And how is my opinion quite so uninformed? I'm on your team. I read the discussions. Besides, what I said is not something that need be restricted to one simple situation.

And I understand it's a simple challenge, but it's a nice philosophy to hold in all aspects of one's life. The only time to stop trying is when the person you're speaking to is far to stubborn or arrogant to be reached. In that case, there's no point in trying to change a lost cause.

But if you insist on leaving, go ahead. But next time why not try and leave without a fuss, rather than sounding like an indignant child? Not to be rude, but that's what you come across as.

Goodbye.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Why does this matter ?_? Our team won and we only lost Umbreon who doesn't seen to mind so... It's not really an issue at all?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Why does this matter ?_? Our team won and we only lost Umbreon who doesn't seen to mind so... It's not really an issue at all?

Yeah pretty much. Even with the signups, we were told that if get sensible easily, then its not in the best decision to sign up. I don't see how its an issue. Team 1 were lucky to save 4 people, after we were supposed to lose 8. Ignorance is natural, if someone pinpoints it, then its no longer an issue.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • And how is my opinion quite so uninformed? I'm on your team. I read the discussions. Besides, what I said is not something that need be restricted to one simple situation.

And I understand it's a simple challenge, but it's a nice philosophy to hold in all aspects of one's life. The only time to stop trying is when the person you're speaking to is far to stubborn or arrogant to be reached. In that case, there's no point in trying to change a lost cause.

But if you insist on leaving, go ahead. But next time why not try and leave without a fuss, rather than sounding like an indignant child? Not to be rude, but that's what you come across as.

Goodbye.
    It was uninformed because despite having read the posts, you still incorrectly appraised/assessed the situation.
    "Rather than backing away, stay a while and try to explain things how you believe them to be. Treat ignorance as a disease: it can be cured, but only if you work towards finding that cure, rather than avoiding the infection altogether."
    If you read then you know I stood my ground on multiple occasions. It was only after time and time again (trying to speak to a person too stubborn to be reached) that I finally gave up.
    As the challenges are suppose to get harder, I foresaw this issue only growing and threw in the towel early.

Funny how you spit philosophy yet can't understand "having better things to do" than debate for hours over something as little as this. Also, philosophy is always built on ones opinions, not fact, whereas me having more urgent issues (engineer in college) is a fact.

I'm fine with being a child. I just wonder what that implies for the people who aren't as smart (I'm not even that intelligent, I'm just not devoid of thought) as the child.

Honestly, I'm hoping this grand display of being fed up and childish, as you put it, prompts said person to think more.

Last edited:

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • Yeah pretty much. Even with the signups, we were told that if get sensible easily, then its not in the best decision to sign up. I don't see how its an issue. Team 1 were lucky to save 4 people, after we were supposed to lose 8. Ignorance is natural, if someone pinpoints it, then its no longer an issue.
    Ignorance is a big deal.It affects and shapes the world around us. That's why it upsets me.

Last edited:

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Ignorance is a big deal.It affects and shapes the world around us. That's why it upsets me.

No duh man. But someone has to be ignorant about something before actually knowing about it. You can't go to a classroom, in a subject, you don't know and say "Well, guess I'm failing because this is new to me" No. You can't have a process of knowing something, without having the time to actually put together, what in the hell it is. Im 99% sure, NO ONE knew what types of gladiators there were, let alone, what weapons and arms they had. So yes, they were ignorant. But you can't blame someone for being ignorant, in an area, they never knew about.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • No duh man. But someone has to be ignorant about something before actually knowing about it. You can't go to a classroom, in a subject, you don't know and say "Well, guess I'm failing because this is new to me" No. You can't have a process of knowing something, without having the time to actually put together, what in the hell it is. Im 99% sure, NO ONE knew what types of gladiators there were, let alone, what weapons and arms they had. So yes, they were ignorant. But you can't blame someone for being ignorant, in an area, they never knew about.
    Thinking doesn't require prior knowledge. It just takes paying attention and a little effort.
    And I told them the answer and they argued/disagreed.
    Btw i don't know crap about the Romans either. We were on equal footing. All they literally had to do was pay attention/think.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back