• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Etherion

idea taken from the nuzlocke zetaboards forums and smogon forums...

COMMUNITYLOCKE GAMES!! (based off the Hunger Games)

There are 12/16/18 'tributes' (participants) who are thrown into the arena (randomized game) where they must compete for the title of victor! They have to participate into an elimination battle at the end of every checkpoints. A total of 7 (or more) checkpoints, for example, in Emerald, after Brawly is checkpoint number 1. The first tribute to reach this checkpoint will choose another tribute to engage battle with, the one who losses gets eliminated or 'dies' The winner will receive prices with will be hacked into his/her game, the gamemakers (moderators) will determine the battlestyle (1v1, 4v4 etc.)

Sponsorship is also another feature, they will have this currency called "Tokens" which will they use to buy and send gifts to their favorite tributes. they start off with 1500 tokens and will receive 300 in every checkpoint. Additionally they can bet on tributes engaging in elimination. Tributes can only buy ten items in every mart or equivalent (5 potions, 5 balls or 2 repels, 7 potions and 1 escape rope, ETC...) thats why they sometimes need sponsors to help them out. The more valuable the item, the more expensive.

elimination battles will take place online, (Showdown, Online or other simulators)

If 2 tributes remain at any checkpoints they will battle for the tittle of victor.

Rules:
    1. Standard nuzlocke rules apply:
    a. Faint = dead
    b. One catch per area/route/city
    2. Shiny clause = ON
    3. Dupes clause = ON, but this clause treats every single pokemon different (example I have a treeko that still alive, i can still catch a grovyle)
    4. For every checkpoint you finished, post the ff:
    *pokemon, level, stats
    *badges
    *items in bag

IF THIS GETS MANY SUPPORT, I WILL MAKE AN OFFICIAL CHALLENGE...

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    This sounds like a pretty cool idea to me :D
    I especially love how its a very involving challenge, and the competing aspect of it.
    Question though: When taking part in an elimination battle, does one use his/hers in-game team??

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I would assume you would or there wouldn't be a real reason to playing the actual game. But it's not clear in the post as to what players the first person to get to a checkpoint can challenge. Can they challenge any player regardless of their position in game? Or do they have to stay and wait for people to catch up to them? I would definitely support this idea.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    He asked a few weeks or so ago about Vappy and if he'd be updating soon. I haven't heard anything from him in a while. SS79 contacted me again recently to see if I had any news on Vappy's situation and he offered to be the temporary owner (though I mean, had he offered to be perma, I wouldn't mind that either). I allow people to take ownership of the existing thread, and I do that by merging a dummy post with the main post and change ownership of the post to the new owner. It's a simple process!

You don't have the power to delete threads I'm afraid, but you could always request a lock. However, it's easier for new owners to take over the current thread than making a new one (usually, anyway...challenges that have been up longer and accumulated more sign ups might want a new thread altogether, but it depends on the new OP's preferences really).

When you two work out the best option for the thread, just PM me and we'll get it all sorted out!

....It wasn't that simple when you tried to do it with my challenge....>_>

Etherion

Spoiler:

To alvmonster:

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    idea taken from the nuzlocke zetaboards forums and smogon forums...

COMMUNITYLOCKE GAMES!! (based off the Hunger Games)

There are 12/16/18 'tributes' (participants) who are thrown into the arena (randomized game) where they must compete for the title of victor! They have to participate into an elimination battle at the end of every checkpoints. A total of 7 (or more) checkpoints, for example, in Emerald, after Brawly is checkpoint number 1. The first tribute to reach this checkpoint will choose another tribute to engage battle with, the one who losses gets eliminated or 'dies' The winner will receive prices with will be hacked into his/her game, the gamemakers (moderators) will determine the battlestyle (1v1, 4v4 etc.)

Sponsorship is also another feature, they will have this currency called "Tokens" which will they use to buy and send gifts to their favorite tributes. they start off with 1500 tokens and will receive 300 in every checkpoint. Additionally they can bet on tributes engaging in elimination. Tributes can only buy ten items in every mart or equivalent (5 potions, 5 balls or 2 repels, 7 potions and 1 escape rope, ETC...) thats why they sometimes need sponsors to help them out. The more valuable the item, the more expensive.

elimination battles will take place online, (Showdown, Online or other simulators)

If 2 tributes remain at any checkpoints they will battle for the tittle of victor.

Rules:
    1. Standard nuzlocke rules apply:
    a. Faint = dead
    b. One catch per area/route/city
    2. Shiny clause = ON
    3. Dupes clause = ON, but this clause treats every single pokemon different (example I have a treeko that still alive, i can still catch a grovyle)
    4. For every checkpoint you finished, post the ff:
    *pokemon, level, stats
    *badges
    *items in bag

IF THIS GETS MANY SUPPORT, I WILL MAKE AN OFFICIAL CHALLENGE...
    As interesting as your challenge sounds, sadly those sort of challenges tend not to last. The inter-competitive aspect in particular seems a bit harsh. Having someone basically lose their challenge because they weren't at as high a level as their challenger is bound to create a lot of negative feelings and probably turn people off from wanting to play. One way you could perhaps make it work better, is that instead of dropping the player entirely, the victor simply chooses one Pokemon from the loser's team that will be eliminated, rather than kicking the player outright. That way there's still incentive to win, but people don't wind up in rage inducing scenarios.

Etherion

As interesting as your challenge sounds, sadly those sort of challenges tend not to last. The inter-competitive aspect in particular seems a bit harsh. Having someone basically lose their challenge because they weren't at as high a level as their challenger is bound to create a lot of negative feelings and probably turn people off from wanting to play. One way you could perhaps make it work better, is that instead of dropping the player entirely, the victor simply chooses one Pokemon from the loser's team that will be eliminated, rather than kicking the player outright. That way there's still incentive to win, but people don't wind up in rage inducing scenarios.

At every checkpoint there is a level cap and all the participants must check in at the checkpoints showing there team, it would be an even playing field by then because the levels are all the same

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

At every checkpoint there is a level cap and all the participants must check in at the checkpoints showing there team, it would be an even playing field by then because the levels are all the same
    That's not the point. What he was referring to is the mechanics behind the elimination process (and if you read the rest of his post, he tries to suggest workarounds). See, if someone signs up for the challenge, plays over 30 hours then suddenly get eliminated for some reason, it would be an incredibly frustrating experience...

the deathmatch/point-of-no-return thing is kind of turn-off. Think about it, 12 participants, only 1 winner... the 11 who lost? totally wasted their time, that is. You can't give them that. The tribute and face-off thing is cool, but the battle royale is unnecessary.

Etherion

That's not the point. What he was referring to is the mechanics behind the elimination process (and if you read the rest of his post, he tries to suggest workarounds). See, if someone signs up for the challenge, plays over 30 hours then suddenly get eliminated for some reason, it would be an incredibly frustrating experience...

the deathmatch/point-of-no-return thing is kind of turn-off. Think about it, 12 participants, only 1 winner... the 11 who lost? totally wasted their time, that is. You can't give them that. The tribute and face-off thing is cool, but the battle royale is unnecessary.

the hunger games would be nothing without killing off someone...

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I'm only trying to give ideas to help make the challenge more appealing and more likely to be successful. It's yours to do what you want with, but you saw fit to alter the name of the challenge so there must be room to build outward. The way I suggested does have something die still though, it just isn't the player.

Etherion

I'm only trying to give ideas to help make the challenge more appealing and more likely to be successful. It's yours to do what you want with, but you saw fit to alter the name of the challenge so there must be room to build outward. The way I suggested does have something die still though, it just isn't the player.

ok then :) me and Zorogami are planning the challenge now...
    will we break the rules if we manage the tread together?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I'd sign up for an event challenge such as this, but I don't think so otherwise. The amount of competitiveness required in it is what's holding it back.

I don't think it looks like a themed challenge. It seems like a tournament requiring people to start from scratch. The limitations on item use? Sponsors? pointless. We got competition-level pokes specialized stats, we're surely gonna own the main storyline.

Just my two cents. I really have nothing against it, and would still want to see how it goes. Anyone could be wrong.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    There's no way to co-manage a thread, challenge or not, I'm afraid. Only one of you can be the OP and whoever that is will be the only one allowed to edit the thread, so the other owner wouldn't be able to. I don't really know of any way you could manage to co-own it. It's one thing to plan it with someone (like the event I had that AlexOzzyCake planned that I edited and posted) but to actually run it with someone, I'm not sure how you'll manage that. Only one of you can post the thread and own that first post to do all the edits. :(

Also, tourney styled challenges are difficult to run. It's hard to get people involved when it's not for some sort of event, because that just further gives the idea that people can update at their own leisure. I don't know about y'all, but when there's an event, I put my regular challenges on the backburner since the event only has so much time before the thread gets locked. Even when I ran Get Together events (they weren't really tourney styled, but they involved teams), it was still difficult. Plus you have people that will sign up and just leave. I'd really recommend simplifying the challenge to make it a more leisurely deal and not relying on others too much.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I appreciate the effort. <3 I really want more non-regulars in here. I try to encourage fellow staff to come in and participate, since it might in turn encourage their regulars to do so as well. It gets a little lonely being the only staff member too. XD But Sora and Lilith show up from time to time, so that's good~

And I would like more group effort challenges, it's just that they're hard to work with. :( I think Baton Pass is doing well though. So take that as some good encouragement. :)

Years
    I've tried to think up my own challenge recently, but i'm not really fresh with ideas.

Doesn't look like Sora's posted here in over half a year, though. And it's cool that Mac joined the Monotype thread, definitely. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back