• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Challenge of the Samurai" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss the many facets of the Bug Pokémon world in "Challenge of the Samurai."

My review to come forthwith.

See you on Sunday for Brock's first episode. Also, I have to say that I'm really glad this has been taking off like it has. Great job, people.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Kinda boring. Best part is the Metapod vs Metapod battle.

"Challenge of the Samurai" Episode Discussion

Pic taken by Katsu :)

Oh yeah, he got Butterfree already (bug Pokemon are supposed to evolve quick but May didn't get Beautifly so quickly)

Years
  • Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    "Samurai is a reeeeeally boring character, and the only things he's remembered for is swinging a sword around and participating in that Transell vs. Transell battle."

Haha, pretty much the same as me!

Oh yeah, I noticed the "Satoshi" thing. Good ol' 4Kids saving us from Japanese on Jessie's box...

Years
  • "Samurai is a reeeeeally boring character, and the only things he's remembered for is swinging a sword around and participating in that Transell vs. Transell battle."

Haha, pretty much the same as me!

Oh yeah, I noticed the "Satoshi" thing. Good ol' 4Kids saving us from Japanese on Jessie's box...

Indeed. I also liked the Pinsir, and the whole "Oh, NoEz! Will it CROOUSH the Metapod?" Great stuff. Honestly, I thought he was a jerk, as he deliberately distracted Ash from catching the Weedle, and 'your fault for acknowledging me, loser.' Priceless. Heh.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • It's been better. *shrugs* Although, Metapod stall war? Chyeah, doesn't get any better than that. Really not much to this episode, just doesn't have the same "8D!" as others do, to me anyways. And I wouldn't of noticed that Satoshi spot, hah. XD

Years
  • It's been better. *shrugs* And I wouldn't of noticed that Satoshi spot, hah. XD

True, the series was starting its groove by then. However, I agree about the "blank ness," as per the early episode jitters -- it happens.

I did notice the Satoshi spot when I first saw it, but I didn't really care. Hahaha.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...I'm honestly a bit drained from the last two posts, so I'll make this brief for the moment:

-The show has been playing off of Misty's fear of bugs this whole time, but it completely forgets about this with Butterfree? I dunno, I would have actually liked to see Ash & the samurai looking at Butterfree in wonder while Misty looks like she's going to collapse from fright at any moment. XD

-Metapod vs. Metapod......longest battle ever. XD Ash's Metapod should have been able to use Tackle, though. After all, that's how it works in the games, and it remembered how to use the attack later.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • I hated this episode. It was really only good for evolving Metapod into Butterfree. That joke was much funnier in Japanese: "Ushi! Ushi! Ushi!" "Mushi?" Blech, "Cowterpie?" They should have just cut the scene out, it would have been better! Samurai is an annoying character. I don't why he was considered a big enough 1st season rival to be put in the Second Season opening. He wasn't really someone who was a true (one time) rival like AJ or Ritchie or Giselle.

Years
  • ...I'm honestly a bit drained from the last two posts, so I'll make this brief for the moment:

-The show has been playing off of Misty's fear of bugs this whole time, but it completely forgets about this with Butterfree? I dunno, I would have actually liked to see Ash & the samurai looking at Butterfree in wonder while Misty looks like she's going to collapse from fright at any moment. XD

-Metapod vs. Metapod......longest battle ever. XD Ash's Metapod should have been able to use Tackle, though. After all, that's how it works in the games, and it remembered how to use the attack later.

We both have been busy with the posting today, so I'll be brief ish, too.

As for Misty and Butterfree? I'd say "what continuity?" Heh. If I wanted to try to explain her rationale, well, the first Butterfree she sees (on-screen) belongs to Ash, and, therefore, an association could form. After everything, it would be rather difficult to disparage Butterfree and its actions (stopping TR in the previous episode and here with the Beedrill). Plus, there's the time factor, as she had two episodes to become accustomed to Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree, thus realizing on her fears and suppressing them (for however long). And, it doesn't hurt that Butterfree is easier on the eyes, compared to the rest of its Evolution line. The rest would be just commentary on anime Misty's girly-girl vs. tomboy image.

Yeah, I wondered about Tackle, too. Is it the first of many game mechanics errors? Then again, I think they just wanted to push the "standing still" battle, so I'm going with the writing edict.

"Maximum hardness, Metapod."

Snickers. I'm sorry, but I can't help myself, there.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Also to add what Charaxes said in why Misty wasn't scary of Butterfree is because Butterfree is just nicer then any other bug type during that time. It wasn't ugly like Beedrill or Pinser. So she was okies with that. I think she even said it looks beautiful too.

Overall this episode was kinda boring. One of the best things I can remember from this episode beside Butterfree evolving was Team Rocket walking around in a cardboard box that was suppose to be their tank. Teeheehee That tank was made to keep the beedrill out. Teeheehee

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    People can hate bugs but like butterflies, you can't see all their legs and ugliness and whatever. They just look pretty.

Years
  • Also to add what Charaxes said in why Misty wasn't scary of Butterfree is because Butterfree is just nicer then any other bug type during that time. It wasn't ugly like Beedrill or Pinser. So she was okies with that. I think she even said it looks beautiful too.

Overall this episode was kinda boring. One of the best things I can remember from this episode beside Butterfree evolving was Team Rocket walking around in a cardboard box that was suppose to be their tank. Teeheehee That tank was made to keep the beedrill out. Teeheehee

That's true, as Butterfree wasn't as aggressive, as, say, the bees and beetle. Though, the Kakuna looked pissed off to me. What do you think?

Yes, the tank was amusing, particularly Meowth being lazy and wanted the two humans to carry him, essentially. Good times.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh yeah! That paper tank is hilarious. I think they had it again in Battle Frontier against the old man brain when Sceptile and Ash were lost. Well, a new one

Years
  • Oh yeah! That paper tank is hilarious. I think they had it again in Battle Frontier against the old man brain when Sceptile and Ash were lost. Well, a new one

You'd think in the futuristic world of Pokemon, they'd invent a form of lightweight metal. Heck, you can teleport and transport critters in your pocket, via, plastic balls (or what are Poke Balls made of, anyway?), so a flexiglass version of metal wouldn't be... impossible. Right?

Or, it could be a jab on Team Rocket's eventual cheapness. Hmm....

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • I remember this episode...that dude knows nothing about being a samurai...I easily outsmart him in that catagory...

-He doesn't follow bushido
    -if your samurai, you keep your sword in sheath until combat...you don't scare trainers with it.
    -He runs from beedrill...samurai would rather do suicide than run from battle

lol I'm such a jerk...but he needs to practice or find another role in life lol

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 23, 2022
    You'd think in the futuristic world of Pokemon, they'd invent a form of lightweight metal. Heck, you can teleport and transport critters in your pocket, via, plastic balls (or what are Poke Balls made of, anyway?), so a flexiglass version of metal wouldn't be... impossible. Right?

Or, it could be a jab on Team Rocket's eventual cheapness. Hmm....
    Acorns.
    Or at least back in the old days they were. Nowadays they're probably made out of some synthetic equivalent....

Anyways, I didn't really like this episode as a kid, metapod v metapod, I think I really did that in game once (struggle ftw!), it was like against a bug catcher or something...

Years
  • Acorns.
    Or at least back in the old days they were. Nowadays they're probably made out of some synthetic equivalent....

Oh, right. I forgot about the Acorns. Of course, at the time, the Acorns weren't even an issue, so, yeah.

To SamuraiMaster, would Samurais deliberately distract their opponents at a critical junction, thus setting up themselves for trouble? If he let Ash catch the Weedle, it probably would have saved a lot of grief.

No, you're not a jerk, but the character is. Hee.

Piplup46

Water Pokemon are the best
    Years
  • I found some old pokemon vhs tapes in my closet so I just watched this episode now and it was so good.

Back