• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] Changing Sprites During Battles

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2020
    Hello everyone. I've been stuck on this problem for a while now and was hoping I could get a couple answers of what I need to do.

So basically for my fan game I want to change the sprites during battle. Since I'm not good at making animated sprites, I thought I could just temporarily change the battle sprites to like, a "fainting" sprite when a Pokémon is knocked out, an "attacking" sprite when the Pokémon uses a move, and a "damaged" sprite when the Pokémon takes damage (I guess it'd be more like a "flinching" sprite). Then they'd change back to the normal sprites if none of those things are happening. I don't have any examples put together right now cuz I don't know if that's even possible to do, but I could throw something together real quick if that would help.

I dug around the scripts and found a couple places where the sprites are being drawn but I'm not 100% sure what I actually need to change or how to define the new sprites . I tried to see how Illusion handles changing the sprites but I couldn't figure out where the sprite is actually being drawn. I might just be looking in the wrong section of code, I was mostly looking in PokeBattle_Scene. I've coded a lot of other things but I can't find any examples of how the sprites are changed during battle. I was thinking I could use pbChangePokemon or pbChangeSpecies but I want them to be the same species, just a different version of the sprite, kinda like how the shiny sprites or the male/female sprites are.

Also I'm using EBS so I don't know if changing anything in the default scripts will actually work. I'd rather not use the default battle graphics because I like how EBS looks and seeing full back sprites (rather than say…just the back of the Pokémon's head) is really nice. I just can't animate well but if there's no way to make this happen with EBS I might just have to suck it up and try to make some decent animations, since I feel like having static sprites all the time would be kinda dull and this could be a nice compromise if I could actually get it to work.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, this is the first time I've asked for help on my game so I may not have worded stuff right. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Back