• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] Changing the FR bike route to make the player zoom UP instead of down

Forever Alone

Back into rom hacking 8 years later!
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    There's a lot of going down in Kanto, I'm trying a lot of force perspective in my game. I want a sloping bike ride going in the up direction instead of down to give the illusion that the floor is sloped upward. The behaviour byte for the tiles in that route is set to D0, I can't find a list of what each one does, if that's all i need to change. This perspective experimentation will apply to hopping down in the up perspective for those ledges, if anyone can help me with that as well that would be sweet!

Using FR MrDollSteaks Decap and Attack Rombase 1.5a, thanks.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Well, a full list of behavior bytes can be found here:
    https://github.com/pret/pokefirered/blob/master/include/constants/metatile_behaviors.h
    Simply changing the byte won't do for you, since a "bikeup" byte doesn't exist in vanilla FireRed. You'd probably need to edit the function itself to push the player up instead of down, depending on if that's even how it works. Doable in decomp, hard in binary - consider building decomp and analysing the byte changes to port this to your binary hack
    Similar problem with the ledges - even harder since you're creating a new behavior and not just replacing one - but you could cheese that with a a script tile and an applymovement script

Forever Alone

Back into rom hacking 8 years later!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Well, a full list of behavior bytes can be found here:
    https://github.com/pret/pokefirered/blob/master/include/constants/metatile_behaviors.h
    Simply changing the byte won't do for you, since a "bikeup" byte doesn't exist in vanilla FireRed. You'd probably need to edit the function itself to push the player up instead of down, depending on if that's even how it works. Doable in decomp, hard in binary - consider building decomp and analysing the byte changes to port this to your binary hack
    Similar problem with the ledges - even harder since you're creating a new behavior and not just replacing one - but you could cheese that with a a script tile and an applymovement script

Thanks! I was afraid it wasn't going to be simple, I wont be adding a new type because I'll just not use the bikedown, just replacing, so that could be easier, but ledge hopping I want all 4 directions. I have only recently got back into hacking and I've only been creating the world. So I have no clue on scripting as of yet. The entire region will be almost done, so I will look into it in a week or so.

Back