• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing the type?

Would you change the type effectiveness?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    If you could change the type chart, what would you change, and what to?

I would make Water, Normal and Fighting types weak against Poison types.

If you could change the starter type triangle, what to?

I wouldn't edit it.

If you could change types/add new types, which ones?

I would add a Light and Magic type.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I agree with everyone that says posion should be super effective against water, steel, and fighting.

Poison is such a neglacted type.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    IMO, the Light-type idea is STUPID because it makes no sense. The Dark-type's name doesn't refer to the lack of light, it refers to the association of darkness with evil. (Please don't consider this post trolling, I'm just trying to remind everyone what the Dark-type really is.)

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    YOu know, I quite dont understand why people say poison types should be strong against Water types...If you put Poison in water, does it poison the water itself? Does the water die? No, only those who drink the water...And I dont see any Pokemon drinking Water type Pokemon...Any time soon. Against steel as well, Poison and acid are two totally different things, if you throw poison at a steel wall what will happen? It would be as if you threw water at it. Fighting makes a tiny bit of sense..But not much.

Years
    A Flying/Rock/Fighting or Grass/Poison/Ground starting trio would be interesting in a novelty kind of way and they are all super effective against one and resist the other so you'd still have that balance.

Poison affecting water makes some sense since aquatic creatures can be easily affected by pollution. Having poison be super effect on steel though? No. Steel is metal and you can't poison metal, only melt, bend and corrode it. Just because there's one poison move with the name 'acid' doesn't mean all poison moves should work on things made of metal.

Rock should also resist rock. I don't get why it doesn't.

It would also be nice if Ghost and Dark types weren't identical in what they're effective against (Ghost and Psychic).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    IMO, the Light-type idea is STUPID because it makes no sense. The Dark-type's name doesn't refer to the lack of light, it refers to the association of darkness with evil.
    But that's the point — the light type is an allegory for good, which counterparts evil.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I'd rebalance the Grass type slightly, like make it and flying neutral on each other and make it super-effective on something else. Right now it shares two strengths with Water (Rock and Ground) and has much more weaknesses, so there's really no practical reason to use it over Water, other than for cool designs, especially since most Psychics can learn Energy Ball anyway.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think Fire is weak to Rock because rocks don't burn except at incredibly high temperatures. A good justification is that putting a large rock over top of a fire would put the fire out, since it would cut off the oxygen supply to the fire, provided the rock is big enough to cover the whole fire.

Mmm yay...science. But yeah, that puts in more clarification on that. Thanks.

I agree with Water needing to be weak to Poison though. It would make sense, plus there are a boatload (lol get it? boat? teehee!) of water types to deal with, and it's difficult carrying around a Grass type with those 5 weaknesses (and unfortunately, they all make sense). And if you don't have an Electric type, then well, have fun. Poison should also be super effective against Bug, like someone else pointed out. Hello, pesticide.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I never knew that so many people supported Poison-type! In my opinion, poison-type and Bug-type should be more super effective to other types.

It's nice that Bug-type Pokemons are more diverse and stronger in Gen. V than any other generations, but I still feel that they should be stronger. At least a few Bug-type Pokemons, like Galvantula and Volcarona, are branching out. Generation V also has a Bug-type Legendary Pokemon. I felt that Nintendo should've released a Bug-type Pokemon a long time ago. What really surprises me is that Bug-type Pokemons are the 6th most common, when they should deserve the first place. If one thinks about it, there are more insects in the world than any other animals.

Poison-type Pokemons are really unfortunate, being only super effective against one type. I still don't understand how Poison-type can be weak against Psychic-type...

I wouldn't really change the starter Pokemons. Fire-type, Water-type, and Grass-type is good enough. I mean, in the Sinnoh region, one can capture an Electric-type Pokemon early in the game. Having different types as starters can be interesting, but I feel that it should stay the same.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    I would think that the type effectiveness needs a few tweeks here and there, but that's really all, and the light type seems somewhat foreign in my opinion about this.

But let's say there is a light type. Light and darkness would be polar opposites, so wouldn't the two be either 1) immune to each other or 2) weak against each other?

smithtism

Blank
    Years
    I'd wanna make Ice strong against Poison. No real hatred toward Poison itself, but it's just... well I got the idea from Grimer and Muk mainly. I mean if you hit them wi...
    POISON HATER CAN GO DIE IN AN ALLEY!!!
    ...aaaaaaanyway, if you hit it with an Ice Beam or Powder Snow attack you could imagine them getting instantly frozen, right. After that mental picture was formed I've never gotten over my idea of Ice>Poison.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    Electric should be super-effective against Steel because metal is a conductor of electricity.

Poison should be super-effective against Fighting because even the strongest fighters will succumb to poison. The same applies against Dragon, because no matter how big and powerful they are, they will also succumb to poison.

Back