• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Changing the way the camera functions?

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
  • Hey guys, working on a Zelda hack, and I was wondering if anyone would know how to change how the camera function in Fire Red to make it act more like this:

If it's hard work, great, I'll still need to know how to do it later in the dev process haha.... so anyone got any ideas on how this works?

Last edited:

Danno

Years
  • Basically you want to make it so that the camera doesn't follow the player?

Only on maps that are the size of the screen, but on bigger maps it would follow the player, but only to the edge of the map, and it would move when you walked from one screen to another.

If you skip to 2:00 in that video it shows what I mean there.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, special 0x113 unlocks the camera and special 0x114 locks the camera. You could have script tiles all around the edge of an area in a larger map, and move it into position each time and then release it until you get to the next area.

Danno

Years
  • Well, special 0x113 unlocks the camera and special 0x114 locks the camera. You could have script tiles all around the edge of an area in a larger map, and move it into position each time and then release it until you get to the next area.

Hmmm... well that's not happening lol. Thanks, but through ASM maybe there's another way?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • Hmmm... well that's not happening lol. Thanks, but through ASM maybe there's another way?

Certainly, I actually documented how to initiate an overworld and figured out how to move the camera. I've also made a game with a similar camera engine so I know some of the physics involved. Luckily for you, the game does really well with offset camera positions, so this is doable. The only issues I can see arising are in regards to camera placement when warping and returning to the overworld from various functions. The synopsis of it is this though:

The camera works on velocities. When the player is moving, the game will adjust the velocity while the player moves. To make it similar to this system, we could have to disable this velocity, and have it stop when the player reaches a certain position near the edge of the map. If you feel like trying to do this yourself (ie with ASM), the function which controls the camera movement can be found at 0805AB30. From there it's just a matter of finding the appropriate values in both the map header and the player's position, and adding a few extra checks.

Danno

Years
  • Thanks for the info. I've actually never dabbled in ASM but this info is extremely useful for future reference, since I've only just started this project I shouldn't be worrying about it much yet, but there will come a time.

Back