• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing times? Age and Pokemon misconceptions

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024

Your school sounds really accepting and lighthearted, which is almost a complete opposite of mine. People who played Pokemon at my secondary school were pretty much shunned to the lowest of the social scale (if they weren't there already). It certainly shows how things differ from place to place.

Well, if you consider the fact that not everyone of us can afford consoles/handhelds. I was lucky because my dad bought me one. It was a lifetime memory that I wouldn't forget. People are always psyched if they see someone with any console/handhelds--be it a GB, GBC, you name it, they'll watch you play it.

goldenyellowcrystal

A Black Crystal of Mystery
    Years
  • In my experience (in first yr. hs), i had absolutely no problem bringing up pokemon conversations with some people. They dont really bully me that much when it comes to that matter. However, I noticed that theyve "outgrown" pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2012
    In my experience (in first yr. hs), i had absolutely no problem bringing up pokemon conversations with some people. They dont really bully me that much when it comes to that matter. However, I noticed that theyve "outgrown" pokemon.

This was my experience as well.. it was cool.. and then uncool.. and then people didn't really care. The graphic a few posts up made me lol because it's so true!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've played most of my life really, not constantly as I've had some intervals but for me Pokémon was never "uncool" and never will be I think. Even though people at my school would think otherwise but that doesn't really matter to me.

The Doctor

What!?
    Years
  • Quite a lot of my friends play it but the young children at my school.. they always say "Oh my god why are you not playing a DS, are you too poor?"
    I literally tell them to ****off before I hurt them. They don't understand nostalgia, this is why I hate children.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyru

-
    Years
  • I don't know about other parts of the UK, but i think i can come to a general assumption that if you play pokemon over here from year 7,8,9,10, or 11 you're automatically a snorting nerd. This, of course isn't the case with everyone, as some people aren't utter imbeciles and accept you for you and not your pastimes. However in my school, as there are an abundance of chavs (a type of person who is very aggressive and assumes themself to be above everyone else) it's not a 'secret' that i think would be wise to tell people in my school and it never really affected me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    People at my school don't really make fun of pokemon anymore. They did back in 2005-2007, but everyone eventually seemed to realize that the games are really good, and people play it all the time now. It also helps that there are other targets now that people make fun of instead.

Years
  • I've found people are more tolerant when they get older. When it first came out, it was the most popular thing ever, then some people deemed it uncool, and now it's more socially acceptable :) I tend to wait until it's brought up by someone else though before chipping in my two cents and having a nostalgia marathon haha :)

Saucy Fish Boi

Music is my girlfriend
    Years
  • I think people are just looking for an excuse to pick on people. Not something they actually have a problem with. If you weren't into Pokémon (I don't mean anyone in particular, just you as in most people), chances are people would have found something else about you to make fun of.

lovebear

Pokémon Professor in training
    Years
  • College student here who plays with his 3DS out in public and in class (when I can afford to, ie. prof isn't in yet). When I first started going to college I was plagued with loneliness and homesickness. So I decided to get a 3DS and Pokémon Black. Now I'm known as the guy who still plays Pokémon. Some people think it's cool and they ask me if they can borrow and play for a while. I haven't had anyone talk down to me simply because of the fact I still play Pokémon.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • AwkwardZombie's representation pretty much nails the views on Pokémon where I live. As far as I know, I've always kind of been the odd ball in Middle school (age 12-18). I drew Pokémon (and anime) in the open (during class and breaks), and I kind of was ridiculed/looked down upon for that. Not that I cared, I had great friends whom I could have fun with any time.
    But then when I went to university, things changed dramatically. In my first year (Age 18) we could collect our hammers (I study geology and a geological hammer is pretty much the most important part of a geologist's equipment) and some people in my class started joking they were Geodudes (not just meaning geo(logy) guys, but actively referring to the Pokémon).
    Someone in my class was playing Pokémon on the bus and last year in the booklet of our students' guild (or whatever you call it in English), there was some guy rambling on about Poliwrath with Surf and Ice beam.
    Two weeks ago, during Quarternary Geology, Pokémon jokes were cracked constantly. The evolution of Quarternary mammals kind of brought us by a creature called the Pika. I chuckled when one of the "cool" guys next to whispered "Pikachu". A pokémon conversation followed...

I can't say the general thought about Pokémon is changing as I still know many people who look down upon Pokémon. I think the biggest issue is the Anime. It was the first encounter of the general crowd with the franchise, and I can't say that it helps to justify (in their eyes) the more mature group of the fan population.
    But in my faculty, it's pretty much considered "okay" to be a Pokémon fan, or to be weird in general. I heard someone say that Geologists in general are a strange breed, always forging their own paths, rarely following what everyone does. I won't disagree with that. ;3

It's always fun when you're playing your GBA/3|DS in the open and some random stranger asks you what game you're playing.

godo156

All Hail the Glow Cloud
    Years
  • "Are you playing Pokemon on the DS of yours? If you are, I'm gonna punch your face"-Kid in first period class in ninth grade. Basically what my grade thinks of it right there. But I see alot more people now with Pokewalkers and Pokemon shirts (and Homestuck shirts, keyblade necklaces, etc., but that isn't what this thread is about) that are in higher grades and such. This one buttface though (he bullied me way back when, don't really like him) in my grade plays a gen three game every now and then on his gameboy. Mixed really between the two mediums of dislike and like, and I only reveal the fact that I play Pokemon with my friends, who most likely have played the games more than once themselves.

Back