• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Customization

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • Also, the Festival Coins may also be from taking photos with the Pokemon Snap Mechanic like feature in the games.

I just hope once we unlock the clothing, they stay unlocked similar to XY. I really hope we don't have to continuously have to pay.

Years
  • I wonder if the inclusion of makeup means that facial hair will be an option; both were merely included for PR videos. Also, we could see face and body paint as an option since we are in Hawaii. In this way male and female characters could have some form of face paint rather than only allowing females to customize skin accessories (sadly I doubt tattoos will be included).

I feel facial hair wouldn't make sense on the protagonist since they're meant to be aged around 10. But then with makeup being an option for the female, anything can happen.

Years
  • Where was it confirmed that the female avatar could wear makeup?

tumblr_odt1khlvYv1vfrusao1_540.png

The bottom-left pic of this shot from the Japanese trailer shows she is apparently wearing lipstick.

Years
  • I feel facial hair wouldn't make sense on the protagonist since they're meant to be aged around 10. But then with makeup being an option for the female, anything can happen.

Protagonists in newer gens do not look remotely close to 10 though nor has in-game age been referenced as such. It's more like the 14-18 age group. According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilbert and Hilda were initially visualized to be at the age of 16. The trend established in gen 5 seems to have carried through XY and this generation as the age group playing pokemon ages.

Also:
    Spoiler:

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm excited to see customization return, and with more options. The dye option intrigues me, as that was something that bugged me about XY (there were certain items I liked, but I didn't really like the color they came in). Not sure if I'll ditch my hat or not, as I'm so used to having something on my head from all these generations, so I guess I'll wait to see what all of the options look like.

My guess is that I'll play around with customization for a bit, then settle on a trainer I like and never change it again. That's what I did in X. But I really liked having the option last time, as I didn't care for the default look of the XY trainer, and I feel the same way this time around about the trainers, so hopefully customization will help.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • tumblr_odt1khlvYv1vfrusao1_540.png

The bottom-left pic of this shot from the Japanese trailer shows she is apparently wearing lipstick.

Oh wow that's awesome! I love to see that Game Freak are really putting everything into the feature this time!

The new Protagonists really seem young to me this time, almost younger than they've ever been (At least compared to Hibert, Hilda, Calem and Serena) but at least hopefully there will be ways to make them look older.

And to think character customization was almost only going to be an X/Y thing, I'm so glad it's returning and better than ever in this game! Also, glasses! now give me my PWT and Battle Frontier Game Freak

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I also have to agree that the default look for Solis and Luna (My names for them) look younger than 5th and 6th Gens.

But with the customization, I can easily see based on what you do, to make them look older or younger. For example, the bottom left pic that Hikamaru posted looks a lot older than the others to me. I would say there are still around the same age as the last 2 gens.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Protagonists in newer gens do not look remotely close to 10 though nor has in-game age been referenced as such. It's more like the 14-18 age group. According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilbert and Hilda were initially visualized to be at the age of 16. The trend established in gen 5 seems to have carried through XY and this generation as the age group playing pokemon ages.

I do get what you said here because I remembered Hilbert/Hilda and Calem/Serena deviating from the usual 10-something year old protagonists, but I guess Game Freak wanted to change stuff up a bit. Sun & Moon's protagonists seem to be more like around the usual 10-11 year old that most games have.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I'm very excited about the customization in these games, especially now that it's possible to make the clothes a different color. So many times when I was playing X/Y I was disappointed because I liked certain pieces of clothing together but the color scheme never worked.

It also looks like we get the option to go without a hat which I'm also happy about, since I'm not a huge fan of hats. lol

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Protagonists in newer gens do not look remotely close to 10 though nor has in-game age been referenced as such. It's more like the 14-18 age group. According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilbert and Hilda were initially visualized to be at the age of 16. The trend established in gen 5 seems to have carried through XY and this generation as the age group playing pokemon ages.

Also:
    Spoiler:

Wasn't that later changed, so Hillbert and Hilda are now 14 according to Bulbapedia? I believe whether or not the facial hair options comes back can help determine the actual age of the SM trainers, so the people at /vp/ can stop debating about whether or not the female SM trainer is 10.

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • I;m concerned by the "festival coins" we see in the trailer. i don't want to have to play minigames for clothes. I will accept battles to earn the coins though.

I think you're right at this point. I hope the festival coins are not a monthly thing. Although it would make sense that certain towns only have festivals once a month on certain days. But that would make it too hard to customize and you can imagine what else festival coins are for. :L :(
    Hopefully, there's a battle-type game that earns you festival coins. :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    To some degree I feel like they probably want the age of the protagonists to be up to interpretation. Especially now that trainer customization is such a big deal. So I guess depending on how you customize them they can look anywhere from 10 to 16.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Would any of us know if it's possible to remove the hat of the hero when customizing, just like how it is for heroine?

Last edited:
    Years
  • To some degree I feel like they probably want the age of the protagonists to be up to interpretation. Especially now that trainer customization is such a big deal. So I guess depending on how you customize them they can look anywhere from 10 to 16.

It was the case with X/Y as well, sometimes you can make your trainer look older or younger based on what customization options you used.

Also, those Festival Coins that Jason pointed out - I wonder how we'll earn those if they are what we spend the clothing and hairstyles on?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Soooo happy with this announcement. It's basically everything I could have wanted and more for customization. I was worried for the longest time we wouldn't get it and it would be forgotten, exclusive to XY.

Years
  • I'm likely planning Ash Brown for my trainer's hair, since it resembles my actual hair color. Not sure on what clothes I'd wear, since I do want to try all of them.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Hold up, make up?! Seriously, it's sooo good to see them expanding character customisation to this level. I never even realised the female protagonist wearing lipstick.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I think people who can remember as far back to E3 Treehouse should keep in mind that character customization was pretty much going to be a thing as soon as Ohmori/Masuda said it was going to be. I didn't think it'd take this long for the reveal, but better late than never!

It was just scary because around the time ORAS was released I think Junichi said something along the lines of "Only people in Kalos are fashionable", something like that, so whether or not it would return ever was up in the air, many of us just thought it was gonna be another one of those great features that's locked to one game because Game Freak likes to do that for some reason. Glad it's not the case, or they heard the fans whining and had a change of heart.

Back