• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Character is unable to move to the left? Invisible wall? Please Help!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Hello everyone,

I recently started making my own Pokemon Firered rom hack, and I've ran into a problem where I am unable to walk to the left. It shows the character animation walking, however it is as if there is a constant invisible wall. Does anyone know what can I do to fix this problem or what is causing it?

Years
    Hello everyone,

I recently started making my own Pokemon Firered rom hack, and I've ran into a problem where I am unable to walk to the left. It shows the character animation walking, however it is as if there is a constant invisible wall. Does anyone know what can I do to fix this problem or what is causing it?

Is the movement byte set correctly? Meaning go in "Movement Permissions" in A-Map and check whether the movement byte is set too "1" or "C".

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Is the movement byte set correctly? Meaning go in "Movement Permissions" in A-Map and check whether the movement byte is set too "1" or "C".

That's what's weird about it. I haven't made any maps as of yet or adjusted any movement permissions. The most recent thing that I have done was edit pokemon stats in G3T. What's weird is that let's say I move to the right, I cannot move back to the left no matter what. So eventually I'm against a wall and cannot move anywhere since I cannot move to the left. To be sure, I checked the permissions and everything is the same as the original game file.

Years
    That's what's weird about it. I haven't made any maps as of yet or adjusted any movement permissions. The most recent thing that I have done was edit pokemon stats in G3T. What's weird is that let's say I move to the right, I cannot move back to the left no matter what. So eventually I'm against a wall and cannot move anywhere since I cannot move to the left. To be sure, I checked the permissions and everything is the same as the original game file.

Then maybe editing the stats must have altered the game's "Player Movement" values. I am not sure how the movements are loaded, and not sure how this can be fixed.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Then maybe editing the stats must have altered the game's "Player Movement" values. I am not sure how the movements are loaded, and not sure how this can be fixed.

Do you know how I can view these values? Maybe I can find the problem that way?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2020
    If this is still an issue, try and re-edit (carefully) the pokemon stats on a clean ROM, and then re-edit the map. I've found it's very easy for ROM editors to write garbage into places you didn't intend, which can corrupt the data in weird ways. I know I've had problems with overwriting music and graphical data after using Advance Map or G3T, so perhaps something similar happened to you. Also, make sure when you add new data to the ROM, you start at 0x800000 (or 0xE3CF64 for Emerald)

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    If this is still an issue, try and re-edit (carefully) the pokemon stats on a clean ROM, and then re-edit the map. I've found it's very easy for ROM editors to write garbage into places you didn't intend, which can corrupt the data in weird ways. I know I've had problems with overwriting music and graphical data after using Advance Map or G3T, so perhaps something similar happened to you. Also, make sure when you add new data to the ROM, you start at 0x800000 (or 0xE3CF64 for Emerald)

That makes sense. Thank you for your input. I'm a novice for sure when it comes to this, and I'm learning things as I go. Speaking of which, should I start at 0x8000000 for data I overwrite (such as a pokemon sprite for example) or just new things that I add?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2020
    That makes sense. Thank you for your input. I'm a novice for sure when it comes to this, and I'm learning things as I go. Speaking of which, should I start at 0x8000000 for data I overwrite (such as a pokemon sprite for example) or just new things that I add?

If you're overwriting something and you're absolutely sure that the the thing you're putting in is the same size as what's there, then it's easier to overwrite what there. For example, all images of the same size take up the same space in memory. So if there was a compressed 64x64 image at an offset, you're free to replace it with another compressed 64x64 image. But if you're adding new pokemon, or a new spritesheet that's larger than the old one, put that in free space beyond 0x800000 to be safe.

There are tools you can use to track down free space in your ROM. I prefer a hex editor but you can go for the Free Space Finder as well

Days
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    Yo had the same problem in Emerald after makeing a new static encounter with Xse in Advanced map

Back