• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Characters Discussion Thread

Favourite Rival?

• Belle

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • Cheren

Votes: 25 39.1%

• Total voters

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I favorite Cheren and Cynthia's role and appearance in the games. I guess it's safe to say Cynthia since, she'll be battling us throughout the game within the Summer and Autumn seasons.

Cheren is one of those guys that have the "style" to be in many themes (PC tags, avatars and icons wise) and his design suits them well. His haircut and glasses makes his appearance have a smart and serious outline. I like Cheren for not only his approach in look, but his role as well. His rivalry is decent and overall, he's a nice sophisticated character.

Cynthia has been my favorite DPPt character and to see her make an appearance in what will be my favorite by far pokémon game, I smiled contentedly. I am looking forward to seeing her role for myself. She was a challenge for me before and this time, I'm hoping it'll be the same but possibly harder. I'm glad she doesn't make a one appearance and then leave afterward. I think a Summer and Autumn show up is better than just having her talk to you about important facts that you'll need to know in the game, and maybe battle you once then return back to the Sinnoh region.

I'm looking forward to having Cheren and Cynthia in the game. Being able to battle them both, it makes me more anxious and excited as I wait for the English release. D;

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Am I the only one who is annoyed by Cheren and Belle? When I first met them I was like, wait, why am I childhood friends with them again?

I don't think Cheren & Belle are really your official "rivals" I think they are more like "pseudo rivals" a la May, Brendan, Dawn, Lucas who help you along your journey to become a stronger trainer. Even though Cheren is serious, he is on pretty good terms enough with you to give you tips, so I wouldn't call him my rival. Belle obviously is v. friendly.

I would consider N my true rival because his role is sorta like Gary and Wally.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Am I the only one who is annoyed by Cheren and Belle? When I first met them I was like, wait, why am I childhood friends with them again?

I don't think Cheren & Belle are really your official "rivals" I think they are more like "pseudo rivals" a la May, Brendan, Dawn, Lucas who help you along your journey to become a stronger trainer. Even though Cheren is serious, he is on pretty good terms enough with you to give you tips, so I wouldn't call him my rival. Belle obviously is v. friendly.

I would consider N my true rival because his role is sorta like Gary and Wally.

I think the plan was to combine pseudo-rivals with rivals, and the villain with the rival. When thinking about it, what you say does make sense and I think it could definitely be seen that way. Whatever they did, it was to make the story more interesting... and I think they succeeded at that. Though, neither Belle or Cheren annoy me, I quite like them. :P

Like Kaori said about Cynthia, I'm very happy to see her make another appearance. She's by far my favorite Champion and quite possibly character in the whole Pokemon world. I'm quite interested as to why they decided to bring her back over other previous gen characters though. Either way, I'm happy of her inclusion and that it's not some brief cameo appearance. As for her team, I find her a lot more difficult to battle this time around too. I have yet to even win against her in these games. XD

SuperiorCat

トウコ
    Years
  • Bel is possibly my favourite character from the whole Pokemon franchise. The buck teeth, the aimless stare, and the clumsy trainer animation have won me over. I certainly hope she gets to make multiple appearances in the anime.

From B/W I also like Kamitsure and Hachiku. Both their teams are somewhat disappointing though. If ever gym leader rematches are implemented in third game of the B/W saga, I hope they get the decent rooster they deserve. <3​

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    D: Not enough love for Cheren.

Bel really does remind me of Barry, but that's not a good thing, imo. I thought Barry was really annoying and he had that stupid catchphrase. :x I don't exactly have a good grasp of the story or whatever, but when you put the two rivals next to each other, Cheren looks serious (and almost cool) while Bel, well, doesn't. I'll admit that Cheren is not as cool as Silver<3 or Gary Blue Green, but I've always liked rivals with the serious look.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • I like Cheren, but I hate Belle. No, actually, I loathe her. She's so stooopid. Dumb wench can't even get her pokeballs out of her damn bag. Her hair is ridiculous. Her outfit looks like something picked out of a fashion mocking contest, and overall, I find her to be weak. I dislike weak people, girl or guy.

idgi what's with the Belle love-fest, but as far as I'm concerned she's the worst rival ever. My only real rival is Cheren; Belle is some foolish girl who asks me to battle her every now and then and can't put up a decent fight if her life depended on it, lol. Her team is sad, sad trash (thus far anyway). >:3

Maybe I'll respect her more once she gets stronger in the game or something, but I highly doubt it. Considering that she became champion, this could be the case, but I actually hate her more for it because that title belongs to my beloved Adeku; some stupid brainless Bella Swan wannabe is hardly fit to be a gym leader, let alone a champion.

How this idiot became champion at some point, I will never understand. Thank god for Adeku; he's got the looks, the style and the Pokemon of a champ, hmmm, hmmm. And he's hot as hell, just like every champ before him (not as hot as Cynthia, but hotter than Lance and Steven for sure). Whereas Belle... what is this, lol, she is definitely not sexy at all, period.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Wow cool down on the hate...
    Also I don't think she should be Compared to Bella Swan... she is way more stronger than Bella she went against he father that must take guts...
    Also Cheren seems weak as he wonders later in the game if he got any stronger as a person at all...

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • I do like how you get three rivals.

- Bel
    - Cheren
    - N

I consider N a rival because you face him like 5-6 times in the game in random locations.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Haha, I missed this when locking the other. Merged with Characters Discussion thread.

I don't have any favourites just yet, since I don't know much about them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Cheren is my new favorite rival. =w= I love teaming up with him and I'm always happy to battle him. ;) Beru is just annoying and needs to be smacked with a spork. And I don't like her skirt. It's too long.

N is pretty awesome too, and I love his music. I wanna ruffle his hair so badly.

Last edited:

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • To above... T-t-t-TINY MINI SKIRT!!! 8DDD

ahem... anywho...
    i like them both Equally DDDx why wasn't that an Option Dangit!

Cheren = Awesome because Glasses + SKinny Jeans + V Neck + Awesome Jacket = I think i may have a Man Crush xDD

though now i think i would rather play as Cheren than Black since i look kinda like him xDD

Bel = Mmm.... i mean... Since she's the first REAL Female Rival YES!

though i'll admit her Eyes Kinda Scared me at first O_O

other than the Rivals I like Makomo she reminds me of that one girl from
    Bakemonogatari xDD

Satoshi_poketo monsta

Pokemon Master.
    Years
  • I do like how you get three rivals.

- Bel
    - Cheren
    - N

I consider N a rival because you face him like 5-6 times in the game in random locations.

Yeah. I kinda happy having three rivals. Just as I speculated, one of em would take the role of a bad person (Though, will good in the end). They're not a bad rivals if I do say so myself. I actually like N instead of Cheren and Bel. Though the Polls doesn't provide N on it.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Bel has weird teeth...

Random I know but I just noticed it in the art on the first post.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I like Belle's personality and her argument with her dad but she becomes champ and shows her dad.

I like Cheren because he looks intelligent and cool. But he also seems like a nerd. ^^;
    Overall, I like Belle more. Looks don't really matter to me.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • I like Belle's personality and her argument with her dad but she becomes champ and shows her dad.

I like Cheren because he looks intelligent and cool. But he also seems like a nerd. ^^;
    Overall, I like Belle more. Looks don't really matter to me.
    When does Belle become champion?

She might beat him, but she doesn't become one.

Back