• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Charizard X VS Charizard Y

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    Forgive me if there's already a topic on this. If so, please lock this.
    Discussion time! Which do you think is better and why?

For me, I prefer Charizard Y (even though Charizard X looks so cool, urrghh!) due to its beastiality. Seriously - SpAtk boost and Drought. Does that not scream an over-torching of marshmallows to you? And being able to learn Solar Beam, I don't think dem water and rock types got anything on him.

Yuuto

Community Helper~
    Years
  • He still suffers from Stealth Rocks, but I agree with you fully. It's cool to finally see Charizard become a Dragon (with X) but Drought alone makes Y the better option in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Competitively i think charizard y has the upper hand (except for that ugly weakness to rocks) And imo design wise they end in a tie lol

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • I hate to admit it, but Y is slightly better. If you're not completely competitive, I'd go for X, but that's because I'm biased towards badass Pokemon. Besides, Charizard X can get some nice STAB with some Dragon moves (I think).

Years
  • I'm not much of a competitive player, but looks-wise I pick Charizard X. He just looks cooler and different.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2014
    If you have a legit shiny charizard to begin with, then the y-mega evolution looks so much more badass. Who cares if your charizard is only temporarily black, the real one is so much more better with the more appealing y design. Seriously, charizard x is sometimes considered better because of his recolor.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I like better Y's. It's special Attack is awesome, plus it's ability allows your Fire Blasts to become more powerful and more likely to hit, plus instant Solar Beams :D!

Btw has anyone noticed that Mega Charizard's two megas share their types with the fire mascots? Fire/Flying with well Charizard itself and Ho-oh and Fire/Dragon with Reshiram... and it's Y shares it's ability with the Pseudo Fire mascot Groudon (pseudo as it isn't really a fire type but knows a lot of fire moves).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I prefer Charizard Y. Charizard X looks quite nice, but… I'm just not a big fan of its color scheme. ): I know that X is now a part dragon-type, but was that really good reason to make its color look different from the original? If Charizard X had the same body color as Y and its regular form, then in my opinion, it would look ten-times better. Charizard Y, on the other hand, kept the original color scheme. It looks quite fierce, too, which I absolutely love. (:

When it comes to battling, Charizard Y has got the skills to take down your opponent's entire team single-handedly. It has the Drought ability, which powers-up its fire attacks by fifty-percent. Not only that, but other grass- and fire-type members of your team could take advantage of the sunlight brought by Drought, and have an easier time battling your opponent. Charizard Y's Special Attack stat is gargantuan, which would allow it to make better use of all special-based attacks that it has access to, including Heat Wave, Air Slash, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, and Hyper Beam. If you put Charizard X and Y in a match against each other, then Charizard Y, in my opinion, will most likely turn out to be the victor. d:

Years
  • I have Charizard Y and my girlfriend has X and they are both staples in our teams. But i consistantely win when we battle and so far Charizard has only been knocked out once.

Charizard X is a lot more vulnerable to popular dragon types like Salamence and Hydreigon as well as the extremely popular Fairy-type. My Hydreigon has higher speed and can OHKO with Draco Meteor as well a Gengar being able to OHKO with Dazzling Gleam. Being Dragon-type just makes it a target in these new games.

Charizard Y might take huge damage from Stealth Rock but if you send him in first, Flamethrower, Solar Beam, Dragon Tail and Rock Throw allow him to sweep just about everything. Solar Beam prevents most stealth rockers and the ones it can't OHKO can be removed with Dragon Tail (Which is Super Effective against Charizard X)

So yeah, strategically Charizard Y is better. (Even though most of the mega evolutions will probs be banned pretty quickly especially Gengar --> see here:https://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendo3dsnews/is-mega-gengar-pokemon-x-and-ys-big-game-breaker/)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I heard that Defog now removes spikes and SR so that means that Charizard will not need to worry as much about it anymore :3 Making Mega Charizard Y even more appealing.

Years
  • well for me, I love both of them EQUALLY, but I am CURRENTLY drawn to Charizard X and that is because of the Pokémon the Origin, in the 4th episode Red uses him to catch Mewtwo. However, I am watching Pokémon XY anime so I will wait who knows maybe Ash Ketchum will have a Charizard Y then i will be drawn to both of them :D

as for battles, my Charizard X dies easily, but I like it when I am using Charizard X and the guy is using a water pokemon, so i mega evolve it and become not super effective against water, so that's a good thing about it.

Charizard Y solar beam is not nice because the move requires for you to wait a turn, by that time your pokemon has already lost.

then again, Charizard X gets beaten by Fairy type and i hate that >,<.

but i love both and i use both equally ^_^ for example if the first battle i chose Charizard X then the next one i have to choose Charizard Y so that he won't be mad at me :D

Years
  • Charizard Y solar beam is not nice because the move requires for you to wait a turn, by that time your pokemon has already lost.

Mega-Charizard Y has the ability Drought. When the sun is harsh it removes the charging period for Solar Beam. So basically it protects Charizard from any water-type disadvantage since he can outspeed most water types and doesn't have to charge one of the most powerful grass-type moves in the game.

Zetsuen

A M B I E N T
    Years
  • I prefer Y. It looks a bit more legit in my opinion. X's design is cool and all, but it seems a bit less closer to the original.

Plus, Drought + Solar Beam is a win.

Years
  • In term of design I prefer charizard Y, but if we ask who is the better one competetive I would say Charizard X-Less vulnerable to still rock, a dragon type that is not weak to fairy and amazing attack that alomg his ability making him wall breaker.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    In my opinion Y is much better. First off X is still SR weak because it has to switch in as Fire/Flying (4x weak to Rock) before it can Mega Evolve. So unless you start out with it or get a chance to Mega before SR is on the field you are in the same boat as Y. Granted all either requires is Spinner support.

Second Y is a monster with it's Ability and increased Special Attack. The main problem it encounters is Move Slot Syndrome. Myself personally I have dedicated 3 slots already and just can't decide on the 4th.

Fire Blast
    Solar Beam
    ???
    Roost

Charizard Y has so many great options for number 4. Focus Blast is epic, Dragon Pulse is also great for coverage, Air Slash gets you a secondary STAB all while Fire Spin could be used to trap Pokemon that would otherwise switch out. For perfect coverage we would need at least 7 slots lol.

What kills me is we can only have 1 Mega Evolution. What I would fear is a Charizard Y and Lucario core. Regardless that last skill depends on the needs of your team. I prefer to keep Roost as it can diminish SR damage and any other damage Charizard receives.

I am personally running a Timid with Focus Blast as the 4th skill. I really want more moveslots though, there are multiple ways to go with it for great coverage. I find more usefulness and all around coverage from Y than X. The Dragon typing does little to actually help it out. Of course I foresee almost every team running a Fairy type though. It replaces the need for Ice/Dragon to deal with opposing Dragons and overall just has an amazing defensive typing.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I think the main reason people like X is the color scheme. If you remove the color Y has the much better design in my opinion. X actually looks really stupid to me, the only thing good about it are the awesome colors.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    So yeah, strategically Charizard Y is better. (Even though most of the mega evolutions will probs be banned pretty quickly especially Gengar --> see here:https://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendo3dsnews/is-mega-gengar-pokemon-x-and-ys-big-game-breaker/)
    I think you have just given me something to have a nightmare about this evening. Now I must catch one.

There is a possible save against Mega Gengar, however. Flying types. I know they are immune to Arena Trap. Can they also get away from Shadow Tag?

And here's something else I'm curious about. Mega Gengar vs. Mega Gengar. I don't think there will be a survivor.

Back