• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Charizard X VS Charizard Y

Yuuto

Community Helper~
Years
  • There is a possible save against Mega Gengar, however. Flying types. I know they are immune to Arena Trap. Can they also get away from Shadow Tag?

Nope. The best save is a Ghost since they aren't effected by Shadow Tag and are super effective against him. Of course, they also have to be faster than him... which isn't likely.

Years
  • X's design is much better so ultimately it's always going to be my favourite as that is my primary factor when comparing pokémon. I imagine Y is better competitively, but X's dragon typing should give it some interesting options to be used as an alternative.

I sort of wish I had both games to get both Charizardites now.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    Both have awesome stats, and each mega-zard abilities work for specific builds that is added with their stats (X = physical sweeper; Y = special sweeper).

In the looks department, both are awesome but X is what I've been wanting since the RBY days.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    Unfortunately, Y is better. I love the Dragon typing and the freaking cool colour scheme and design of X, but Y has enhanced Sp. ATK, which is Charizard's best stat. Why would you want to increase physical attack when you could have MUCH stronger special, and Charizard's strongest moves are special attacks? It makes no sense.

I like the design but because Charizard does not have equal ATK / Sp ATK, Y is better. Also Drought is a much better ability.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2013
    I picked Pokemon Y because of Charizards Mega Evolve form inside it. I preferred it to X. Strategically their types change. Mega Charizard Y becomes a Flying /Fire , while the other becomes Fire / Dragon.

Years
  • I'm personally kind of annoyed Charizard gets two megas and the other kanto's don't. Thats just not right.

That being said, Charizard Y for sure. It's far more useful both as a support with drought, and an attacker with accurate fireblast and coverage with solar beam. Stealth Rocks are a problem, yeah.. just something that needs to be addressed and probably doubled up incase a spinner gets knocked out.. but thats no different even if you bring Charizard X in. Going to have to deal with those rocks or mega evo at the start of the match.

I also like Charizard Y's look better. X looks dumb with his perma-flamespit drool coming out of his mouth.

Charizard Y is a team player.. Charizard X is just there to showboat.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    i like charizard's original color more so i prefer Y over X...

Nakala Pri

Well, I haven't even played the game yet, but by looks, I prefer the Y Mega (I'll call it that for short). The X Mega version is a wannabe Hydreigon!

The Y Mega fixes all of the bits and bobs which the original Charizard lacked. So yeah. ^^

NRG

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2015
    I prefer the Y version looks, x looks awful imo, especially the fire coming from it's mouth.

They're both equal for online though imo. X is more of a DD + tough claws + outrage affair, which risks HP at the DD set-up turn, but Y takes massive damage from stealth rocks..

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Well , it hard to say !
    But Mega Charizard Y's ability is useless against Mega charizard X because ''Drought'' will make both of them stronger due to both of them being ''Fire'' type.
    While Mega charizard X ability isn't that useless because ''Tough claw'' make only him stronger .

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    Charizard Y is a nice progression of the generic design of Charizard and makes it look cool for once. It also has nice stats as well.

Charizard X looks like something a 6 year old would draw.

Years
  • I'm getting X simply because my brother is getting Y. If not for that, I would probably get Y.

Charizard Y in my opinion, is so much better. Aside the obvious Drought/Tough Claws argument, Charizard Y is a wrecking ball in the sun right off the bat with high Special Attack and Fire Blast, with Solarbeam to deal with Water pokemon. Charizard X has to set up to get to Charizard Y's power.

Yes, Y may take a lot of damage from Stealth Rock, but it's not like X doesn't take damage from the rocks. In addition, what if you haven't Mega-evolved yet? Your normal Charizard is still going to take half from Stealth Rock.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2013
    I suppose that each has their strong and weak points...

X has the Dragon type which cancels the weakness to Water attacks.. the only other Fire-type Pokémon that isn't weak to Water is Reshiram, which is also Fire·Dragon.. makes me wonder why I haven't seen any Fire·Water or Fire·Grass Pokémon. Also, it's very strong in both Physical and Special Attack and has strong physical Defense so it can usually survive most Rock and Ground attacks which are usually physical instead of special. The Tough Claws ability boosts the power of contact moves, which is interesting because there are other abilities that hurt users of contact moves such as Static and Flame Body while Charizard X can ignore the latter due to its Fire type and still get a boost.. nice! ;P

Y has very, very strong Special Attack though it's physical Attack, although decent, isn't so good as that of Charizard X. It has better Special Defense which can reduce the damage from many Electric and Water attacks, though physical attacks may still pose some problems. The Drought ability is very useful because its STAB Fire attacks are powered up in the sunlight and with the amazing Special Attack it can sweep like crazy!!! ;XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I haven't started competitive play yet in this generation so as of now I like Charizrd X over Charizard Y. The aesthetics of Charazrd X is so much better than Charzrd Y. Heck they are both awesome in power. Charizrd X dominated me through the E4 in my game. Competitive play may be a different case unfortunately.

Back