• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chatspeak

ピクシー

c l ef a b l e -
Years
    • Seen May 10, 2009
    I wanted to start a discussion on this to see what other people think of it.

By chat speak I mean, for example; w8 liek dis lol cn u blieve it m8
    Which is; "Wait, like this, lol. Can you believe it mate?"

So how do you feel about it?

Personally I hate it so much, the time you spend typing like that you can type normally. Though I don't mind some chatspeak for example; "Lol, Rofl".

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • It's ok I guess when you're texting. Even then, there's the T9 text entry system. But if you're chatting, emailing, or anything else like that, it's absolutely not acceptable. Yet I still see people writing chatspeak in ESSAYS. It's horrible.

Also, I hate it when I hear it out loud. I mean, if you're going to "lol," actually laugh, don't say "lol."

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
  • I hate it when people type like that or CaP MuLLtiPlE LetTerS in every single word. Geez, isn't it easier and faster to write normally? =/

Although, sometimes me and my friends randomly start abusing it in MSN conversations just for the hell of it. Usually combined with abusing Caps Lock. xD

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I can't stand text speak when you've clearly got a full keyboard in front of you. I often ask my friends what they've just said when it takes more than a glance to figure it out.

I never even use text speak when texting! xD Predictive text covers everything for me, but then again I have unmetered messages on my mobile phone contract so I can afford to write long messages.

While we're at it, I Also Hate It When People Type Like This On Boards. What Is The Point? It Really Hurts My Eyes When I Try To Read It.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • Some chat speak I use when I'm acting like an idiot or being random.
    I use lol often as well. But sometimes it can be frustrating, which is why I tend to try to use full words whilst chatting.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • it annoys me sometimes and i font mind stuff like lol btw brb and all of that but only when texting on here just write it out

it annoys me sometimes and i dont mind stuff like lol btw brb and all of that but only when texting on here just write it out

Last edited:

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    text speak is a way of chavs to communicate, but for every one else its a way of laughing at how retarded others can be.
    i usually get a chuckle from reading how badly spelt most things are done on the internet.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Tihi, I think it's fun ^^ But only sometimes. And in REALLY small portions. For example, caps-typing and wtf and lol and such can be fun if used right. Not if overused.

On forums, recurring text like that in regular posts is NOT fun. It's really annoying and I can hardly take the poster seriously.

ED: OH MAN, azuman, I clicked the post reply button, and your theme turned up on my screen. Bsacsdfghjlöekr. XD

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • i th1nk itz rly an0ying h0w ppl duz dat!!!

It takes a lot longer to type that way too, and it's harder to read. Lose-lose situation. Seriously, I spent like half an hour typing that. @_@

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    what?
    oh wait, my i like pancakes.
    dun worry it'll be gone soon enough rarris ;)

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • ye i h8 it wen ppl do eet. i haf a friend hu does it all the time on msn and it rly annys me.

Years
    • FL
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    I absolutely hate it. Sometimes I abbreviate words when I chat to save time, but never anything like what you mentioned. In emails and in posts I always make sure to use proper spelling and grammar, it is faster, and i makes it easier for others to read what I have to say not having to decipher chatspeak.

CHG-Swampert

Do not make Wigglytuff Laugh
    Years
  • I think it's LoLSpeak. and people use that in essays??? I remember my teacher saying that once... That is freaking awful too. It's called English, mates. It was made for a reason O_o

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Oh dear God, kill me now.

I absolutely DESPISE of chatspeak. I haven't even seen it on Skype or anything like that before. It burns my eyes just looking at it - ugh. Sure, I don't mind a little 1337 here and there, or abbriviations like "lol" or "ftw", but seriously, especially on a forum, try to speak ENGLISH and not CHATISH. Not only does it make you look more intellegent, but it also saves a lot of pain on the other member's part.

And that's my opinion.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I don't mind people using chat speak, I used to be one of them but now I've changed. I still use some like lol or ftw.
    I guess that I used it because it was just quicker to type.

Crissy xX

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    First of all, I call it 13375p341< like most of the population, or leetspeak.

I don't find it good or bad, it's just interesting to learn some strange language. Yes I know how to type and read 1337, but I never bother to type it in the first place. But I will get pissed at the first person that spams my VMs or PMs with pure 1337 speak. Then I will hit the second person with an axe and cut off their limbs with a hammer, then I will apocalyptize their world and move to Mars.

Guppo

They went that way, officer
    Years
  • Ugh, chat speak is a pain. Both to read and to type. I even have trouble doing it during texting, and I rarely text anyways.

Things like w/e or lol are perfectly fine; you usually speak faster than you can type anyways, and that's just a way to let your mind keep up to speed with itself when typing. Other things like "h8" or "gr8" or "m8" or "d8" or "l8" tick me off.

These kinds of people are usually the ones associated with the kinds of people that abuse overkilled memes. :^[

Back