• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheating - Right or Wrong?

CheatKing

The King of Cheating
Years
  • a1337a said:
    Cheat Devices are plain and simple.
    They're an easy out for people WITHOUT THE SKILL to play the game as it was intended.
    The moment you use one, you're admitting you're a loser that has been BEATEN by the game.

There's a small problem with your theory...

I beat the game before cheating. How did it beat me?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 13, 2005
    well its not so bad like if you wanna catch evey Pokemon but you should beat the trainers without cheating.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    This belongs in the Pokemon Games forum. ^_^; I'll move it for you.

*moved*

aaaaaa

There's a small problem with your theory...

I beat the game before cheating. How did it beat me?

If you'd beat the game before, without cheating, you wouldn't have a need to buy a cheating device.

People buy memory editing devices to overcome a problem they're having.
    Evidently, you had a problem.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • CheatKing said:
    Allow me to rephrase what I said.

If cheating devices were illegal, there would be some effort by Nintendo to stop them. However, Nintendo has not made any legal moves against Datel (AR) or Interact (GSA), or Pelican (CBA) for that matter.
    Nintendo=/=USA Police Force!/UK Police Force/whatever Police Force
    Nintendo does not have the authority to stop ppl using ROMS or cheats!

CheatKing

The King of Cheating
    Years
  • jynx said:
    Nintendo=/=USA Police Force!/UK Police Force/whatever Police Force
    Nintendo does not have the authority to stop ppl using ROMS or cheats!

That's like saying the Music Industry can't go after people illegally downloading music. Or that Microsoft can't crack down on software pirates. If someone is infringing your copyrights, you CAN take legal action to stop them.

CheatKing

The King of Cheating
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    If you'd beat the game before, without cheating, you wouldn't have a need to buy a cheating device.

People buy memory editing devices to overcome a problem they're having.
    Evidently, you had a problem.

I guess I did have a problem. Nintendo removed the other 185 Pok?Mon from being obtainable in R/S. So, I got the AR to get those Pok?Mon, AFTER beating the game. I didn't do anything that I could do without cheating.

PS - Sorry about double posting, I meant to edit the post, not post another reply. Won't happen again.

Last edited:

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Cheating is bad, but some people do what they wish aswell admitting that they are pathic enough to spend money just to unfairly beat a game that they have to pay for.

Pokedragonfire

ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z
    Years
  • I mostly cheat not to help me get anywhere in the game but just for fun like the ghost cheat. It is funny when you walkthough stuff and maybe it is nice to catch your favorite pokemon a little ahead of when you are really supposed to catch it, like Bagon. I would breed all my pokemon anyways, so it isn't like I'm getting a level 26 bagon when my team is at level 10.

aaaaaa

Fire Red and Leaf Green were in the works.
    With these two games, and Pokemon Colleseum, you CAN get the remaining Pokemon.
    By cheating, you've ripped off Nintendo.
    Instead of buying their product, you've got the net effect for free.
    That's stealing.

TeamRocket

Cheating is also wrong - because if you cheat - how are you able to actually claim youve mastered the game. You need to do it yourself - no gameshark.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2004
    You paid for the game, just play it how you want to play it. Why worry about what other people say to you? If you're having fun with it, then go with it! That's what the game is intended for, for you to have fun. I can certainly understand "cheating" to get certain pokemon that you can't get right now in Ru/Sa; and if I owned a shark or ar I probably would as well. And I wouldn't really call it ripping Nintendo off. They're basically trying to make it so the only way you can get the other pokemon and complete the almighty pokedex is by buying FR/LG, isn't that ripping us off? Or at least that is how I see it. I agree with Frostweaver, as long as the end result is legal, then it's ok. ROMS ARE ILLEGAL ><

Masamune

Dance Dance Revolutionary
    Years
  • Against Cheating

Well, I happen to be the friend that he's "arguing" with. I've beaten the game (Elite Four and Pok?dex) without cheating, and now I'm trying to make the perfect team without cheating. I just think it would take some of the fun out of it.

From what I've seen, it's:
    7 For Cheating (in one form or another)
    7 Against Cheating
    It's a tie, for now.

CheatKing

The King of Cheating
    Years
  • Hiya, Masamune!

Anyways, once you've beaten the game, what difference does it make if you cheat to do things you can't normally do. Personally, I take great interest in "breaking the rules," so to speak.

And on another note, even though I can get the FR/LG Pok?Mon using my Action Replay, I still intend to get one or the other (or maybe both), if nothing else just to continue my standing tradition of owning every version of the core Pok?Mon series.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2004
    cheating is fine as long as its to make the game fun like if you are completely stuck and frustrated you could use them. Coz really its all about fun.

P.S. how do you use the other side of your trainer card on R/S. Thanx.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • You hit the a button to flip teh trainer card over.

My opinion on cheating is that it inadvertently belittles the hard work of soemone who did it legitly. I myself think that to use codes to do something that could just as easily be done without a cheat device (SAuch as getting pokemon through trades ar searching for an item) is admitting you can't find that item or catch that pokemon by yourself. The only instance i cheated was to catch squirtle, bulbasaur, and charmander, and even then I caught them legitly, not throwing some master balls at them. (You wouldn't believe how stubborn they are either) And when FIre red and leaf green comes out with legit versions of squirtle, bulbasaur and charmnader, I intend to release the ones I got through a hack just to get them fairly. everything else I did properly, and it makes me proud to say I completely finished teh game with no help from a cheating device. for others to use cheating devices and not care is, as I said, inadvertently belittling the efforts of those of us who worked hard to get where they are at. it's like that in games and in life.

NOw a friend of mine, he had his game stolen a while back. When he replaced it, he took an AR and hacked his new game so badly that for a while it wasn't permitted on Colloseum and he couldn't access his tms. I have to say I lost respect for his game playing skill after that because he took teh weak spined way out. And thanks to all those rare candies he used and all that practice he missed out on, my level one hundred blaziken can easily annihilate his level one hundred groudon. Thos of you who work hard on teams more than likely know that such a thing should not have happened. But it did, all because my friend denied himself teh practice and the stregnth that comes with playing teh game fairly. And he still doesn't care. LIke he has no dignity.

It's one thing to hack to get pokemon you can't normally catch, but to do it jsut to "Catch up" as my friend put it is morally shameful and puts you in bad practice with the game. I could rant on and on about this, but instead I'll leave it up to the next person.

Last edited:
    Back