• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Check Threads Last Post Date

Tyler

PHP Scripter
Years
  • I've seen a lot of old threads getting revived these days and I was thinking what if there was someway that a script can check how old the last post was in a thread and if its over a month it wouldn't allow anyone to make a post. I Think it would stop a lot of the useless posting in old threads.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Not all threads apply to the one month revival thread rule you see. Stickies and some sections in Emulation (Team Discussions being one iirc) being some examples. So I'm not sure how that would work out, or whether it would even be worth doing considering all someone has to do is look above the previous person's posbit.

It's a nice idea though I think if people were just a little less careless and remembered the revival rule, it wouldn't be an issue. Besides, it's not that big an issue in any case.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • ...if it isnt a big deal, then why do mods have free reign to instantly infract someone who has had NO prior infractions for revival?

(The question is not aimed at staff. I already know the official stance on that)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Go to a forum. At the bottom, you'll see a table with the title Display Options. Do you see it? Okay good. Now, there are some options available for displaying threads - the one you want is the From The drop down menu. Select Last Month, and there you go! No need to make a whole new script for something we've already got. Though I am terribly confused why that isn't the default... but you can make it your own default! Go to your User Control Panel and change Default Thread Age Cut Off dates to a month, and there you go.

...if it isnt a big deal, then why do mods have free reign to instantly infract someone who has had NO prior infractions for revival?

(The question is not aimed at staff. I already know the official stance on that)
    If that question isn't aimed at the staff, then what the hell was the point of you replying in the first place? Do you just like seeing your posts? Honestly, I don't see the point in posing a question, then saying it wasn't aimed at the only people who could answer that question for you, especially considering you apparently know the stance on it. You've been here for, what, six years now? I think the lesson of not posting unless you have something contributive to say would have sunk in by now...

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I think you missed the point of my post entirely there Pachisou. The question was rhetorical...the answer that Abegnation woul have derived from that would have proved that saying 'its not a big deal' isnt exactly a well thought out answer.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Go to a forum. At the bottom, you'll see a table with the title Display Options. Do you see it? Okay good. Now, there are some options available for displaying threads - the one you want is the From The drop down menu. Select Last Month, and there you go! No need to make a whole new script for something we've already got. Though I am terribly confused why that isn't the default... but you can make it your own default! Go to your User Control Panel and change Default Thread Age Cut Off dates to a month, and there you go.

Telling the OP to do that isn't going to help. It's the newbies that revive old threads and they're not going to randomly find themselves at this thread and read that advice (especially considering they won't even check the last post date). Besides, no doubt, old thread revivals are caused via searching.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think you missed the point of my post entirely there Pachisou. The question was rhetorical...the answer that Abegnation woul have derived from that would have proved that saying 'its not a big deal' isnt exactly a well thought out answer.
    Nope, I'm pretty sure I got it. Considering posting a rhetorical question doesn't at all offer anything to the discussion, just how is that in any way contributive?

Telling the OP to do that isn't going to help. It's the newbies that revive old threads and they're not going to randomly find themselves at this thread and read that advice (especially considering they won't even check the last post date). Besides, no doubt, old thread revivals are caused via searching.
    I can tell you right now, it isn't just the newbies that revive old threads. In most of the cases I've had, it's someone who's fairly old to the community that revives an old thread, but that's just in my forums specifically. I do know when it comes to Pokémon-related topics, people just like to search and post without actually looking at the results. But you shouldn't generalize who makes the mistake, considering there are careless people who just don't bother to look, no matter how long they've been here. Not just new members.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I think you missed the point of my post entirely there Pachisou. The question was rhetorical...the answer that Abegnation woul have derived from that would have proved that saying 'its not a big deal' isnt exactly a well thought out answer.
    Don't try and say that the question was rhetorical, otherwise why did you have to note that the question wasn't aimed at staff. Rhetorical questions aren't meant to be noted - they're meant to pose a question that is not meant to be answered; that's why they're rhetorical.

As an answer to your question: no, we don't instantly infract anyone we see that revives an old thread. We watch their actions before. It's not about previous infractions but more about the way we see the member acting. If they've revived other threads beforehand, we infract them. If they've been breaking other rules, we also infract them. The whole point is this it's up to the mods discretion and it's not up to a member to bring out the staff like that. If you do have a problem with this, take it up with the higher staff. Simple.

Also, like Gavin said above, this won't really work as we staff are on top of this situation. It's not a huge one anyway and if we spot it, it's a quick close. If we do have something like this implemented, not only will it not work; as the stickies aren't affected by this rule anyway, but it'll mean that we have less work to do. I don't want to get replaced by a PHP code. ;____;

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I thought it already shows the time and date of a members post right above their usernames on a bar thingy :/.

Ex. It says Serene Grace posted Today, 11:31 AM

Back