• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Cheren? Bianca? But I wanted to name them Jack and Jill!

What do you think of not being able to name your rivals?

• Total voters

Xena

I have many skills.
Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    I personally would have liked to name my rivals. Bianca would have been Callisto and Cheren would have been Ares. I named the rival Ares in most of my other games.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • If the RS remakes change Brendan's name (as he is completely forgettable and most people play as him anyway) I WILL SHOOT THE TRANSLATORS' HEADS. jk

Anyway, Cheren and Bianca fit the characters quite well, especially with the theme naming.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Hmm...well, it's not that much of an issue to me in retrospect, as I typically use "anime/official" names for the rivals anyway. I refer to the rival Blue/Green of RBY/FRLG as Gary Oak in all media. I keep on trying to think of a name for Silver of GSC/HGSS, but Silver is just ingrained. No good default name was given, though we already have another Silver of Pokemon Chronicles who met Richie... Wally's name irked me simply because it resembled Wallace too much (who is a prominent Gym Leader/Champion) as a dimunitive form.

As for BW, my main concern is with "Bianca", AKA Bel/Belle. Cheren bugged me in retrospect with the similarity to the feminine name Sharon, but I'm getting accustomed to it. I mean, every other localization except the English one uses "Belle", which, alongside white, possesses the additional meaning of light and beautiful :3. Now we have two Biancas in the English localization, yet no Belles. :( I don't see why we couldn't have Bianca of Pokemon Heroes and Belle of Black and White, to help in preserving uniqueness.

I typically support the ability of customization being granted to the player whenever possible, though I'm all for the pseudo-retention of "official" names. The 'intended, official' name(s) of the writers for the rivals could simply be listed on top in a list of suggested names as Generation 1 games did. Alternatively, the 'intended' name could appear as the default placeholder name if the player does not decide to enter a name for the rival. Best of both worlds, IMO - the player can customize the rivals' names if he or she wishes, and the writers can still convey their preferred name for the rivals in a non-intrusive manner. If the Generation 1 games could accomplish such a fitting compromise in rival naming, I don't see why BW weren't able to.

If the RS remakes change Brendan's name (as he is completely forgettable and most people play as him anyway) I WILL SHOOT THE TRANSLATORS' HEADS. jk

HIS NAME IS SHOULD BE Sean, yup yup. :P

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • i wish we had the option i love naming my rivals after my friends

Same here. I picked "Dislike" but to be honest I don't mind too much, (like enough for it to ruin the game) but it would have been a nice addition to name both Rivals.

Back