• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Chibi style - thoughts?

Years

• Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were announced in today's ptesentation, and they have a very chibi style unlike most other Pokemon games. They can be compared to Let's Go stylistically, but are even more cartoony when human characters are concerned. This seems to be very hit or miss with people so far.

What do you think of this style?

Years
  • It's no different than the Link's Awakening remake. I think it's cute and adorable :catsparkle:

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Looks pretty interesting imo, hopefully this game will have more customisation options than Let's Go

Years
  • I think it's quite cute! It gives me the sprite vibes from PPD which I'm down for!

I do think it's a little strange though that they decided to go with this type of style for a main game, but I'm not really complaining lol!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Looks pretty interesting imo, hopefully this game will have more customisation options than Let's Go

I highly doubt it will. This will be like ORAS where there won't be much customization since the character's outfits are set in stone and is a remake. Let's Go had new characters, so they added a few options.

As for my thoughts on the style....

I am not a huge fan of the art style.... I just don't like how blocky everything looks. It just isn't something I like and have never liked and probably never will like. But I will probably still play the games.

The in battle art is fine though.

I am more wondering why they got another company to help with it? But that is for another thread... but I am sure they are the reason why it looks like this.

Years
  • I was a bit unsure at first seeing the characters, but the more I look at it the more I see a connection to the originals. It seems like this was a purposeful choice to stay as close to the original games as possible stylistically, and it does give off that feeling too. Looks like the original DP but with 3D graphics. Not quite as charming as Link's Awakening, but still cute!

Years
  • I hated it in XY and ORAS, I hated that they returned to it with LGPE and I hate it now. It doesn't look good or at least cute. It somehow looks worse than in previous games. Biggest turned off from the games so far.

Years
  • Meh... I'm not a huge fan but I think it'll grow on me. I would've preferred an ORAS-esque art style (that might be my favorite), but I get why they're changing it up for the Switch.

pkmin3033

I'm absolutely fine with it. Honestly this is the direction that Pokemon should have gone in with Sword and Shield; the more cutesy style and brighter visuals are more in-line with the tone and inclusive nature of the series than the gritty shit that we had to endure with Gen VIII's flagship titles. The character models are a little jarring, but I have always preferred sprites to 3D models and this seems like as good of a compromise as we're going to get.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • I don't like how their feet are massive haha. They should have mitigated that a little bit...

As for the rest...i think I like it, perhaps a little bit more colourful would help. It's hard not to be disappointed after seeing the Let's Go graphics, but at least they made the opposite direction os SwSh ><

Bug

[b][color=white][font=Luminari]can't talk. i'm shi
    Years
  • I think it was absolutely the right call. It makes the overworld look like an exact 3D replication of the original games which is what I was hoping for, I just didn't realize they would do it so exactly which is so fun to see!

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2021
    meh... I don't like this style but i'll see when the game will be released...

Years
  • I think it was absolutely the right call. It makes the overworld look like an exact 3D replication of the original games which is what I was hoping for, I just didn't realize they would do it so exactly which is so fun to see!
    I do agree, I like that the remakes are very faithful to the original when it comes to the overworld design.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Not a fan of it, while I do like chibi art styles, this honestly feels cheap to me almost like a mobile game although at least it's consistent in quality?

Years
  • it's fine with me. might actually grow on me a bit more but i don't honestly see the reason for the hate? i agree with dawn in the sense that this fits pokemon way more than previous art styles did besides sprites lol

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Can't believe I'm posting on this site after 3 years lol

In all seriousness, this was the best decision art direction-wise. I'll get used to it in time. I think the main issue with Sw/Sh's art style is how inconsistent it is for specific areas. Smaller towns look pretty nice in that game, but the wild area is where problems started because of the overall lack of consistent direction.

But anyways, I'm not here to rant about those games, I'm looking forward to seeing how these remakes fare. Mainly because I think scaling the visuals back plays more to GF's strengths as developers. I always note that GF works best on a smaller scale and I think this remake attempting to keep that in tact (despite being done by another company) is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, some of the textures are awkward and I'm not a huge fan of these models in particular for the trainers BUT at the very least, the art style is more consistent than it was in Let's Go/Sw/Sh. From the trailers, we can already see certain parts of the region design are being accommodated for these changes rather than Let's Go in which it just completely ignored this.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, but also equally cautious as this is a different developer. All I hope is that they're able to capture the spirit of the original games in general.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Eh, I think they look a little weird, but it's certainly not game breaking to me. As long as the core gameplay hasn't changed, and it hasn't, I'm all in.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • I am not a fan, to be honest. I appreciate keeping things in the same spirit, but I don't know. Something really bothers me about the visuals. Maybe it's the shaders or whatever they're using, but it just doesn't gel with me. It looks like I might be in the minority here, but I actually preferred the more realistically proportioned direction they were going in, and now we've gone so many steps backwards from that. Part of me wonders what other places they'll go backwards in, for the sake of keeping in the spirit of the original.

Back