• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Chibi style - thoughts?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • I don't have a problem with it. Then again, I'm so numb from all those big speculation stretches over the past year that I'm honestly completely indifferent towards this entirely.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I liked it, I think some of the stuff needs a bit of work, like the male protagonist looks bad, but they have a while to work on the shading.

Honestly I don't mind this direction for the series.

MalafeX

Typhlosion #1 fan
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I don't mind a chibi remake but the art style doesn't look as pleasant as Link's Awakening remake. This one feels cheaper.

Years
  • It is very faithful to the original DPPT but I don't know it just feels weird, compared to LGPE and SWSH artstyle in general, it's not bad just feels weird. The returning features will say if its worth paying what it really costs. I think I'll get adapted to it either way.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    definitely not digging it, I already hated the style for let's go, but the overworld sprites here bother me even more.

But before I get into that let me be real for a second.
    This, right here, is the only thing that bothers me about the battle sprites, yeah they're somehow both flat & oddly bulgey but its this that ruins it to me.

Chibi style - thoughts?

Hand looks great, (which is far from easy so points for that) but how is that a face...

It's vaguely creepy and will always bother me. The flat painted on face is just really jarring to me especially in comparison to the
    3d and properly contrasted depth of everything else.

Ok that's it, now overworld sprites...

Chibi style - thoughts?

The heads are freakin massive!! look at this comparison, compared to the old sprite is bad enough, but her head alone is bigger than the pokemon!

Chibi style - thoughts?

And I feel with the switch they could have done much better with the sprites in the overworld, if the bodies were exactly like mii fighter from smash
    I would be absolutely happy.

Chibi style - thoughts?

No A-posing, and joints actually bend, and it completely works for a cartoonish aesthetic.
    Its already a nintendo property and that's for a game that came out like what almost 10 years ago?

the lighting and shadow effects are nice though. but I'll prob pass on this and go for arceus instead, provided that isn't messed up somehow.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    My initial impression was skeptical... but knowing myself I honestly just straight up just love cutesy kawaii shit so I bet I'll love this too.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Ok so here's the thing.. I don't mind the graphics on their own, though chibi characters aren't really my thing. However, the colours are awful. Sinnoh has always had kinda dim colours, which is fine, but it seems like they tried to mix that with the bright colours of LGPE and ended up with the weirdest result possible. I mean, look at this.

Chibi style - thoughts?

To me it somehow manages to be both too vibrant and too dim in different parts of the image. It's gross.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I don't mind a chibi remake but the art style doesn't look as pleasant as Link's Awakening remake. This one feels cheaper.

Didn't realize how right you were until I actually looked at link's awakening, that thing looks amazing, the sprites are perfect too!

Chibi style - thoughts?

compared to this, the overworld sprites look like badly upgraded Mii's, with even bigger heads.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Quite a lot of people I've spoken to seem to hate the style claiming it to be a Link's Awakening rip off. However, I like the look of it 😀

Years
  • I have mixed feelings about this style. I like it but I also wanted to see Sinnoh with SW/SH style graphics. Can't get everything I guess

Years
  • I have mixed feelings about this style. I like it but I also wanted to see Sinnoh with SW/SH style graphics. Can't get everything I guess

I feel like I did too, but with improvements like better character turning rather than walking in place. Definitely didn't expect this type of style when it was shown.

That said, I 100% agree that the Link's Awakening style and lighting choice are so beautiful and I can reiterate time and time again how I wish they went more in that direction. It's smooth, well lit, and colorful. BDSP in comparison is a little darker and the character models less smooth. I know they were mimicking the original style, probably down to the color of the grass/trees, but it's not quite there yet in terms of what I'd expect to see for a similar 3D style on Switch in 2021. Getting there, but not quite imo.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • like i don't mind. i think it's cute. i don't really have much else to say aside from that lmfao

Years
  • I think I would've prefered a polished SW/SH style, but looking at how they've handled previous games so far I think they made the right choice going with this style. Imo it's much harder to mess up such a simple and cutesy style than it is to mess up the more "realistic" style of SWSH.
    Plus here's hoping that the simpler style meant that they were able to focus more extra content for the game!

Years
  • I like it a lot! The top down 2d style feels retro now and I think that it gives this game a lot of character. I looks a lot like the Link's Awakening remake and, especially with the new open world games, it will feel like a nice change of pace for me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    So far I don't mind it. I think the chibi style suits the game as a top down. As many other people have stated, I played Link's Awakening and thought the style was cute. Annnnddddd honestly it's just nice to finally see pokemon done in some other style.

Lady Bisharp

Blue noodle enthusiast
    Years
    • She / They
    • Spain
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    I have mixed feelings about this style. I like it but I also wanted to see Sinnoh with SW/SH style graphics. Can't get everything I guess

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here.

As much as I like to see Pokémon having varied art styles and all that, part of me really wanted to see Sinnoh with SW/SH (or better) graphics. There's also the fact that the chibi style they're using feels... odd? It's cute and I definitely don't hate it, but the lack of black outlines and the color choices are quite jarring imo. Maybe it's just me, but I wish they had used the style they used for LGPE instead :|

Years
  • I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics at first, especially comparing the design of the chibi characters next to the flat(?) background. For some reason it just doesn't look right. I think at most the game looks like it could be worth around £40 but I just know it'll be £60 which makes me apprehensive about buying it.
    I'm not really sure what I expected, I guess I was hoping for a style similar to Sw/Sh? Although half of the Pokémon community seems divided and would prefer for the remastered games to stick to their traditional roots.

I think they've done a fab job of remastering - the graphics look like a perfect middle ground between the old game and new games. However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend £60 on it unless the environmental graphics were improved a notch.

Years
  • I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics at first, especially comparing the design of the chibi characters next to the flat(?) background. For some reason it just doesn't look right. I think at most the game looks like it could be worth around £40 but I just know it'll be £60 which makes me apprehensive about buying it.
    I'm not really sure what I expected, I guess I was hoping for a style similar to Sw/Sh? Although half of the Pokémon community seems divided and would prefer for the remastered games to stick to their traditional roots.

I think they've done a fab job of remastering - the graphics look like a perfect middle ground between the old game and new games. However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend £60 on it unless the environmental graphics were improved a notch.
    Well sadly it will be very likely that they are full price, but I liked what I saw so I'm taking the plunge.

pkmin3033

I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics at first, especially comparing the design of the chibi characters next to the flat(?) background. For some reason it just doesn't look right. I think at most the game looks like it could be worth around £40 but I just know it'll be £60 which makes me apprehensive about buying it.

They're available for preorder on base.com right now for £42.85 - they don't charge anything until day of release, so I'd recommend going and grabbing them now if you're concerned about price!

Back