• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Children of Diseased Parents

Years
    Sorry for the bad title. This topic idea was inspired by some of the comments on that other thread about incest.

Lots of people said they weren't okay with incest because mixing two closely related people's genes could create 6-toed kids. So I'm wondering: what are everyone's thoughts on people with inheritable diseases (genetic ones, HIV, whatever) having children?

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Well, I've never thought of it, but in my opinion they should probably just adopt, to make sure they don't spread the disease further, even if by accident.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Sorry for the bad title. This topic idea was inspired by some of the comments on that other thread about incest.

Lots of people said they weren't okay with incest because mixing two closely related people's genes could create 6-toed kids. So I'm wondering: what are everyone's thoughts on people with inheritable diseases (genetic ones, HIV, whatever) having children?

HIV actually isn't always heritable. It can be passed on to the baby, but it isn't all the time.

But either way, they should not have babies. :|

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I've always thought that taking all the genetically disabled and permanent disease and putting them on one island would be the master solution to humanity's problems.

But then I realized we would kick out the Aussies and it makes me sound like Hitler Q__Q

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Are you saying Aussies are all genetically disabled and permanently diseased?

Seriously?

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Are you saying Aussies are all genetically disabled and permanently diseased?

Seriously?
    lol no.

I was implying that there wouldn't be an island on Earth that would be big enough for that big of a quarantine, except for Aussie.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I've always thought that taking all the genetically disabled and permanent disease and putting them on one island would be the master solution to humanity's problems.

But then I realized we would kick out the Aussies and it makes me sound like Hitler Q__Q

I think that would be cruel. We are one nation and we will find a solution as one nation.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Modern technology is nearly capable of thwarting death itself; I don't see anything wrong with people with inheritable genetic disorders having children (and, as a corollary, I don't see a problem with people who practice incest, as long as they keep it to themselves). It might be sad if a child gets such a disorder, but it's not the end of the world; they can still become happy, productive members of society like anyone else (so long as it isn't a crippling mental disorder).

Mihael

Tara X willow=OTP
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2012
    Really, there's no reason for anybody to have children.
    Adoption, hello.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    That basically everyone is treated equally. That's why there are all those social programs.
    You guys don't understand.

I was saying that in order to put all the 'bad' people on quarantine, it would basically kick out all the Aussies out of Australia which I wouldn't do.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    You guys don't understand.

I was saying that in order to put all the 'bad' people on quarantine, it would basically kick out all the Aussies out of Australia which I wouldn't do.

No, I understood that, I was just answering your other question, if that is what you meant. XD

I love Australia btw XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    While it is slightly tempting to agree with this and say yes, they should be prevented from reproducing, such an action would have terrible repercussions. Aside from the fact that it is our natural right to reproduce and no one should be able to stop us, there would be so much more at stake.

First off, it'd be a massive blow to our personal freedoms. If the government had the sort of power to actually prevent someone from reproducing, what else could they do to restrict our lives?

Secondly, what would become of those who have inheritable conditions? Sterilised? Round up and shot? What about their dignity as a person? How would they feel to be told, "no, you can't ever have a child"? What about those with the recessive gene for such diseases? They'd have to be treated the same way so that such measures are eventually effective.

Thirdly, what would become of children who are born with these diseases after such a law or whatever is passed? Would they be murdered in the womb? Killed as soon as they pop out?

Anyone who would seriously support this sort of thing (like, outside of a hypothetical discussion on an internet forum) just may be better off in a totalitarian state :x

Really, there's no reason for anybody to have children.
    Adoption, hello.
    Even if you are actually serious, what about when all the children have been adopted? Heck, only allowing adoption would just turn those children into a sort of commodity - they'd probably eventually allow returns and trades since it'd the only way you can get kids. The selling of children would probably surface to the open as well.

also, Australia is awesome. Happy belated Australia day, mates!

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    People will talk about how many children they are allowed to have next.

I think it's up to them to decide. BTW, cancer runs in the family. Now what?

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    I think that would be cruel. We are one nation and we will find a solution as one nation.

We are? And here I thought that Kenya, France, U.S.A. and Brazil were all separate nations. Silly me.

Um......on topic, I think that anyone with genetically inherited diseases should be strongly discouraged from having children. No-one has any right to subject a child to that risk.

Years
    I don't think it should be illegal to those people to reproduce , but I sure don't think someone should recommend them to. Maybe, the doctor can talk things over and explain what consequences might be and see how the people decide. Basically discourage ,but not illegal.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Both of my parents' families have strong veins of severe genetic depression running through them, starting (diagnosed) with my great-grandparents.

I'm still glad they had me, though.

(lol @ first person who uses the "but depression isn't a disease!" argument).

Back