• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Chimchar,Turtwig or Piplup

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I dont like Turtwig because its really slow so if its down on hp and the other pokemon is youre counting on it to hit first and sure it learns better moves in later evolutional stages,but its just too slow.As for piplup,its just boring and its only got good defense.My two friends started with piplup and turtwig and i destroyed them both when they were all lvl100
    yeh, that's why you EV train it! max out its speed, FTW!
    i would personally go with turtwig, stronger and looks totally aweshum!

Years
    Turtwig has got to be the 2nd best starter hands down (only to charizard because he is a beast) and you people are so stupid listen to Sirwillis04 and me Torterra has already awsome stats in everything but speed so just MAX out its speed by fighting a hell of a lot of Starlys and then your torterra is a colplete and utter warrior that is pretty much unbeatable

Years

Not all too hard, because Infernape is faster AND has an advantage over both; that being a Super Effective hit for both of them. (Fighting for Steel, and Fire for Grass)

Infernape and Torterra are super effective aginst it and since Infernape is faster, it has no advantage at all

Well actually all the starters can beat the others around...
    Empoleon = EQ from Torterra, Close Combat from Nape
    Infernape = EQ from Torterra, Surf from Empoleon
    Torterra = Ice Beam from Empoleon, Flamethrower from Nape

I picked Piplup, though. Empoleon looks so cool ^^ and so fat

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    yeh, that's why you EV train it! max out its speed, FTW!
    i would personally go with turtwig, stronger and looks totally aweshum!

Who EV trains in game? Most people just go through the game and fight whatever since anything can beat the game.

Personally, I chose Piplup just besause I've never picked the Grass starter and I didn't feel like taking Chimchar.

Years
    Who EV trains in game? Most people just go through the game and fight whatever since anything can beat the game.

Personally, I chose Piplup just besause I've never picked the Grass starter and I didn't feel like taking Chimchar.
    uhh people like me who beat the league the first time round, using only 2 pokes. one of which was my beast torterra!
    EV training isn't really that hard, all you need to do is battle 50 magikarps and it's speed is already more than half-maxxed. it's really simple.
    then, once you have that, earthquake beats infernape and because empoleon sucks you can just use razor leaf and pawn it. simple.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    I chose Chimchar and it went all the way to Infernape. I found out that the move, Close Combat, when used in battle corectly, can knock out any opponent in one shot

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
    A common choice is Chimchar, but I think Turtwig is simply the best choice. I mean, It has great attack and defense. I agree that this is a great pokemon to EV train, but it doesn't necessarily need those EVs. With Torrterra's STAB Earthquake, it can go through pretty much every Gym by itself (Darkrai, please look at a type effectiveness chart. Is Torterra's Ground type strong, or weak against Steel types.)
    I've noticed Chimchar is a popular choice among Pokemon n00bs, mostly because when they see Fire type, they think 'FLAMETHROWER!!!!!!!11!!!one!!' Because there aren't that many Grass attacks that are powerhouses. Therefor, the n00b ignores the stat possibilities and potential of the Grass type, and chooses the Fire type. When I mean n00b, I don't mean people who are new to Pokemon, but have no strategy other than sweeping.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Evolve Chimchar and give it an Everstone :3
    Chimchar,Turtwig or Piplup

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
    Years
    I see Chimchar as a ripoff from Torchic, essentially. Never used Turtwig, cannot comment on it. So I'm going for Empoleon. So what if Empoleon has a weakness against fighting? Infernape has added weaknesses from Flying and Psychic.

ellishall123

ThE mAsTeR oF dArKnEsS
    Years
    The bad thing about picking empoleon is that in the right situation it can be beat by both other starters.We all know that Torterra can beat it but with a bit of difficulty because its second type is ground and Empoleons is steel.But Infernape can beat Empoleon because of its secondary steel type then finish it off with close combat.Infernape is the only one whos secondary type isnt a weakness(except against flying and psychic) and its only other weakness is fire XD.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I pick Piplup because it is soo cute! But I started out with Chimchar.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    I picked Piplup because its cute, awesome and its a Penguin. You can't beat that. Monkeys suck. Turtles are overrated. Penguins are the way to go.

super-7

Glaceon King of Glaciers
    Years
    i like them all but i chose turtwig cause i loved the look of torterra when the game came out.
    but when i bought the other game i chose piplup to change it up

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2010
    I picked Chimchar but my favorite is Turtwig.
    -Chimchar has great speed, attack and spatk and a nice movepool too. Yes it sucks in taking hits but you won't get hit if KO the foe first.
    -I picked Torterra in Pearl, after playing Diamond. It has an awesome attack, defense, and pretty decent spdef (but sucks at spatk and spd and its 4x ice weakness). It learns Earthquake at level 36, which is a killer STAB move at an early stage. It can learn rock polish to cover the speed weakness and stone edge to eliminate the pesky fliers. And as it was mentioned, it has leech seed which is good if the enemy is a defensive wall. And the EV's! Whoa! It can reach 350+ attack at Lv100! These have already been said quite a number of times already, maybe because it's so true.

No offense piplup fans but it has a corny moveset unless you teach it the right stuff. Its stats aren't too bad though but I'd still pick the other two anytime.

dark_Uxie

ill wipe ure minds XD
    Years
    I picked Chimchar but Turtwig better.It has awesome attack and defence and good special defence too.So what if its slow.It can take most moves because of its high defence

..Beyond

Cut your losses.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2014
    It didn't matter to me which one I picked, since my friend traded the other two to me as well-bred (especially move-wise) Lv. 1's when I first started. I picked Chimchar though. In the end, I kept Torterra on my roster rather than either of the other two because I wanted Palkia as my water type rather than Empoleon, and I did a better job of SpAtk EV raising the imported Charmeleon (now Charizard) for the fire type slot. Torterra is a really good choice to use against Bertha in the elite 4 because generally grass is super effective at least 2x against her Pokemon, and sometimes 4x, all while Torterra isn't being damaged by Sandstorm. The downside is that water becomes neutral, but the upside is that so does fire. It can also learn moves like Earthquake etc. (obviously) once it gets the second type. Chimchar is too much like Blaziken at the end of the line, and Fire/Fighting seems like a risky or uncomplimentary set of types to have fit in on many types of teams. I'd rather have a Lucario any day.

However Empoleon certainly learns a wide range of moves. When I got Piplup as a Lv. 1, it knew Surf/Water Gun (I can't remember lol), Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and Blizzard. As it grows in levels, you can teach it moves like Defog and then steel type moves. The addition of Steel is useful in that it stops several of the more annoying physical (especially Normal) attacks from being anywhere near as effective.

Type-wise, Infernape ends up with 6 resistances and 4 weaknesses, Empoleon with 11 resistances, 1 immunity and 3 weaknesses, and Torterra has 3 resistances, 1 immunity, and 4 weaknesses.

Infernape is best for Atk, SpAtk, and Speed. Empoleon is best for both Specials. Torterra is best for Atk and Defense, and will generally have a good HP stat as well.

Infernape to me is rather annoying with how it learns moves. If you stay as a Chimchar, you'll eventually be able to teach it Flamethrower by leveling it up (41), but you'll end up skipping moves like Mach Punch. However, by evolving it, you gain a second type, but you'll miss out on learning moves like Nasty Plot. I taught my Infernape Flamethrower by TM because Flame Wheel really doesn't cut it in the elite 4 battles.

It's really all preference though. I usually pick the fire starters (no pun intended) so I picked Chimchar, and while he was on my team, he didn't usually let me down. They all, if raised well, become solid team members. It's just that in my case, Torterra remained on the team rather than Infernape because to me, Charizard > Infernape.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back