• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Choice (One-shot)

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
Years
  • Choice
    One-shot by Deathspector

"How're you feeling, Avaron?" she asked him.

Avaron looked up at his elder sister, worry etched into every corner of his beady black eyes. He hadn't been to sleep since the previous evening, insomnia keeping him awake the entire night. There were dark patches around his eyes, and his ears drooped a little more than they should. Normally, the growing Pikachu would be up and about, running across the wide pastures at this time of the evening. The sun had just set, and the fresh smell of the blooming flowers wafted down to Avaron's burrow. Today, however, he was weak from staying up the entire night, and nervous about what was to come later that day. It wasn't a battle, he was fine with those, and could deal quite a lot of damage if he felt like it. No, today was a day of something much more important, that would change his life forever.

"Horrible," he replied, looking down at the ground.

His sister, Alyam, was already a fully-grown Raichu, and well respected throughout the warren. She had proven to be a great asset in warding off the predatory Scyther, and had once led a full-scale attack on a group of camping humans to tell them to bugger off. Avaron hoped that he could become half of what his sister was. If he could achieve this, then he was not worried about anything else in life. However, all of this lay in balance on what decision he took today. And if he made the wrong one, his entire world would collapse around him. But if he made the right one, his life would be one smooth ride for the rest of his life. Which is what he wanted.

"Oh chin up, Avaron," said Alyam encouragingly. "I was nervous too when I had to choose as well. But I chose, and look where I am now?"

Avaron shook his head sadly. "Yeah, well you made the right decision, didn't you? You've always been able to choose between right and wrong. Even when Mum was around she used to say that. But me? I'm the clumsy idiot of the warren, aren't I? Most likely to make mistakes."

Alyam sighed deeply. This was the problem with her brother. He was a really deep Pokémon, with so many layers to get through before you discovered the real him. And even though she had been with him ever since he was born right up to his first birthday, she still hadn't found out whom he truly was. And the downside to having so many layers was that Avaron was prone to fits of depression and unhappiness. Some called him a loner, but she felt he was more a deep thinker. He got along fine with other people, but didn't mind being alone one bit.

"Oh don't give me all that nonsense," Alyam snapped. She had to be firm with Avaron, or else she would fall into his trap of pity. "You're going to go in there, and make the perfect decision. Because whatever path you choose will be the right path for you."

Avaron gave up, nodding his head in submission. The thing that troubled him most was that he was afraid the decision would not actually be his. For most, this was a day that they had looked forward to for all their life, and indeed, that's what Avaron had done since birth. However, in the current circumstances, he might be forced to do something he would rather not. He wanted to remain a Pikachu forever, but the shadow of war that hung over the Pichu Kin of Viridian Forest might force him to evolve into a Raichu for the fight.

"Now come on, we don't want to be late, do we?"

Alyam led the way, and Avaron followed her out of their burrow. Night had set over Viridian Forest – their home – and the two siblings had to walk in complete darkness, relying solely on their sense of smell and touch. It wasn't that there was no moon tonight, or that the stars didn't shine over the forest, but that the canopy was so thick, that even during the day, the Pokémon had to use techniques like Flash to see. They had a reasonably long way to go, so they kept up a slow but relentless pace. The reason for the long walk was that they were to visit a druid for the ritual to take place. And the Raichu druids lived far away from the warren, as they said the constant noise disturbed them in their studies of magic.

To Avaron that was all rubbish, and he didn't believe in magic. But the society he was born into was very superstitious, and even though his sister would proudly say that she didn't believe in magic either, neither she nor Avaron would ever disobey a custom. Not only would it be blasphemous, but also they would be chased out of the warren, and most likely killed. And Avaron had no intentions to die before his third birthday. After that the world could go to hell as far as he was concerned.

After about two hours of hard walking, Alyam held up her hand to stop Avaron. He stopped, wondering if they had reached the druids place. Instead, Alyam turned to face him, a look of pride in her eyes. "Listen to me, dear." It was the first time she had put on such a maternal air since their mother had died, and Avaron was grateful for it. "The druid is a kind-hearted soul. But be careful what you say. Be disciplined in your actions, and talk as little as possible. It will be hard with him, but I know for a fact that he disapproves of modern language. Try to speak as you've heard Grandpa speak, okay?"

Avaron nodded. Alyam continued, "Good. Now you have to go on by yourself. The only people allowed at an evolution are you, the druid, and the Chief. I believe the Chief is already there, so all that they are waiting for is you. Go up to that big teak, and you'll see the entrance to a burrow. Go down there, and you'll meet the Chief and druid. Treat them as I have told you and you'll be fine." She gave Avaron a genuine, warm smile. "Take care, my love."

Avaron smiled back at her, but got the feeling that it wasn't nearly as warm as hers. Then, with his face set in grim determination, he walked up to the tree, and scrambled down the burrow, into the druids home…

Alyam looked at the place where he had just been and sighed. I do hope he'll be all right…

* * *​

The druids burrow was, to say the least, different. It was lit by a small circular fire in the middle that cast an eerie light upon the two figures standing at the other side of the burrow. The Chief and the druid. Avaron had seen the Chief before at monthly gatherings of the warren, and was always impressed by the presence he seemed to have. But here he was, standing next to this derelict, bent figure Avaron took to be the druid, looking utterly weak. The druid, physically, appeared to be deformed, but Avaron could sense that he beheld a great power in him.

The Chief spoke first. "Welcome, Avaron."

Avaron bowed respectfully to him, and then to the druid. The druid hobbled around the fire, and came up to Avaron. Avaron looked into the druid's eyes, and felt a chill run down his spine. This Raichu had power beyond what Avaron could ever imagine. The druid ran his hands across Avaron's shoulders, then over his cheek sacs, and finally his tail. He then stepped back, and looked Avaron up and down. Walking over to the Chief, he beckoned, and the Chief bent down so that the druid could whisper into the Chief's ear. This was one custom that Avaron thought was rubbish. No one but the Chief could hear the druid's voice. But Avaron was living a reasonably well off life, and didn't want to be chased out of the warren.

"The great druid says that you have a very good body now, and have great potential to become stronger. He says that if you evolve into a Raichu, your electrical abilities will excel far beyond any Raichu's has ever gone in this warren before, and that you will gain physical strength equal to a Primeape. Do you wish to evolve?" The Chief held up in his hand the revered Thunderstone.

Its green colour glimmered in the flickering light of the fire, and Avaron could just make out the lightning bolt markings on the side; markings that no one knows how came about. In the dim light, it was almost hypnotic to stare at it. And upon hearing all of the strength that he would gain once evolving, Avaron was all ready to go. But something caught his eye. Maybe it was just his imagination, but he was sure he saw the Chief smile. And not that paternal smile that was so often playing at his lips, but a smile full of cold satisfaction. Was everything the Chief told him true? Could he have turned the druid's words around? Maybe he had left out some vital part?

Avaron looked away from the stone, and remembered the happiness he had within him when he realised that he might have the chance to choose against evolution. He then turned back to the Chief, and looked him straight in the eyes.

"No."

* * *​

He emerged from the druid's burrow, and saw Alyam standing in the exact same spot where she was when she left him. He walked up to her, and she took one look at him, and drew him into a warm calming embrace. And as he stood there, Avaron smiled, and realised that this was where he wanted to be forever. As a Pikachu, and with his sister. And no stupid Chief and druid were going to change that. Ever.​

A/N
    : A while ago, I had become increasingly interested in writing Pokémon POV fanfictions that dealt mainly with their way of life. Pichu, Pikachu and Raichu have always been three of my favourite Pokémon, so I decided to create an entire society for them, basing it loosely of the society that rabbits live in (full credit to Richard Adams for inspiring me). Just to make some things clear, when I say "Pichu Kin" I mean Pichu and all of its following evolutionary stages. Just as a "Charmander Kin" would include Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard. Any comments and criticism will be much appreciated.

Deathspector

Back