• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Choosing a new computer.

Years
  • I was looking to buy a new computer, but I'm not sure what kind to get. I've looked into Alienware, VooDooPC, Dell, and others. I'm willing to spend a lot of money for a computer, and I want to make the right choice.

So, maybe some suggestions on a good company to look into? :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Eh, Alienware is your brand name.

Dell XPS is awesome IMO <33 But, I'd like to know more about what you intend to use the computer for.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Have you thought about custom then? It may be a better option~

Putting together a computer makes it a lot better.

Years
  • Well, I'd really rather not build my own computer. Besides the fact that I'm not all that experienced in building a computer yet, I'd feel better with the warranties and what not.

I did look at the Dell XPS, and I've got it down to that, or an Alienware. I'd love to get an Alienware, I think it's the best choice. But I've heard of a lot of people having problems with faulty systems, and bad technical support. Is that true?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Alienware is a "brand name" computer. I couldn't tell you whether they're actually good for what they say they are...

Protricity said:
    I'm willing to spend a lot of money for a computer

^Batesy...

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
    Years
  • I know from experience, Dells will last you a long time. My family have a great Dell that has lasted them four+ years.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Don't get a Dell, especially for gaming. As a workstation they're OK but for anything more powerful... *winces* They're underpowered and ridiculously overpriced. We can give you a system spec that's good for gaming, and you should be able to go to your local PC vendor and ask them to put it together for you, if you're not comfortable constructing it yourself. First, though, tell us how much you're willing to pay (a rough figure), and how long you want it to last for. Hmm... I'd say you could get away with a 6600GT on this... depends on pricing though~

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
  • Well I am going to have to say get a Dell XPS 600.It's great for you since all you're going to do is play games and it's very powerful contrary to popular belief. I have a Dell right now and even though it's not an XPS mine is running a 3.2 GHz dual core processor and I think it's fast. The keyword in this is the "I" part, like I keep saying in the end it's all up to the consumer.

Years
  • I think I'm going to get an Alienware. I know some friends who have them, and they truly are amazing. I'm looking into the Area-51 ALX, but it'll cost about $6000 :P

Am I made of money? No. But when it comes to a computer I make no sacrifices. :)

As far as the Dell XPS, it's a great rig for it's price, but it just doesn't compare to an Alienware imo. If you spent $5000 on a Dell and an Alienware, the Alienware would have twice the RAM, twice the Hard disk, and, get this, a 4 year warranty.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'm going to agree with you~ Go AW.

And Brandon ... Dell makes a killing on those computers o________________o;

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Brandon, Dells may *look* cheap but check their specs against similarly priced systems from smaller brands.

Alienware must be a US-only company; I don't believe I've heard of them before.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Dells are low priced for a reason.
    I wouldn't get a Dell. As for gaming I wouldn't go with anything other then Alienware. As far as I know the XPS and Alienware are the only two gaming computers out there. IMO I wouldn't go with a Dell no matter what (we had a few and they just wouldn't last, that's why I got HP. But I might add HP laptops are not made for gaming, most laptops are not made for gaming). So Alienware is the best shot if all you're going to do is play games on it.

Years
  • Mine is custom made. We got the best of everything, and it doesn't really run that great. Your best bet is probably AlienWare.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • The great thing about Australia are that there are a bunch of really good small vendors - Altech and PC Express standing out. Mine's a PC Express system, customised slightly, and works really nicely~

eX.A.K.R.

Slow Periods.
    Years
  • If you are going to use your computer for gaming, then I suggest that you custom-build your computer. Otherwise, an Alienware or that NEC water-cooled computer (can't remember it's exact model name and I'm not sure whether it's available in where you live) are your best choices. But whatever you do, stay away from Dell. I have heard that they cut corners here and there.

Back