• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Christians vs. Atheists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky#13

Lucky Member
Years
I understand.

I do take back the "conflicting" part as admittedly it was a poor choice words on my part, but I still maintain that it's unfounded to conclude that "God made evolution happen," because we haven't found a correlation between God and evolution. (unless God here happens to be God of the Bible, which is not specified anyways)

I sometimes have a hard time following your logic. To be clear, are you saying that because there is no correlation between God and evolution that it couldn't be possible that a God could have allowed evolution?

Science isn't rigid like religion is.

I would argue the opposite, personally. Religion is interpretation and as such constantly changes. Science can change, but there are far fewer gray areas. Arguments against scientific fact are much harder to make and support.

You're assuming that I'm saying religion is useless because it's not compatible with science, which is not what I said. I thought we went over this already.

While I don't recall you saying those exact words, it is the implication I get from a lot of what you have said in this discussion.

And you don't need religion to be a moral person.

I never said you did, and I don't see anything in my post that would imply that I felt that way. Honestly I thought that was a major point I was trying to make throughout this discussion.

Side note, I'm a little surprised that on a Pokémon forum discussing religion, that we haven't encountered "Praise Helix" or "Arceus is God" in 5 pages of discussion.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
There is good and bad in every nationality, religion, social group, minority, majority, community, household etc.

As far as my views go, God created the universe and everything in it. To those that argue evolution disproves this "theory," I say God created evolution.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Unfortunately, there are always some families who see God and Evolution as conflicting ideas. Which is sad.

Just want to clarify, as I think Aero got the wrong end of the stick, that I was referring to religious families/children being hesitant or against Evolution. It's just a way of making Evolution more accessible for those who are taught that it 'goes against God' and all sorts - it doesn't have to be against God, if you think about it in the right light.

I don't believe in God/A god, but I think it is important to show kids that being religious and believing in a higher power doesn't mean you have to ignore science. You can 'believe' in both.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
Why do you refuse to accept others' beliefs but bash those who refuse to accepts yours?
Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31) < oops

Do you think that Atheists are immoral due to their lack of faith in God?
No, if that were a fact that would mean over 10% of the world is immoral. 6.9 million+ are immoral. OK.

Do you believe in evolution?
If God created every mammal, arachnid, insect, fish, bird and reptile on this planet please tell me WHY IN THE NAME OF EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD AND JUST did he make some of the most pointless creatures in the world. Like salmon, what is the point of salmon? Food for everything else? There is also evidence from fossils dug up from millions of years ago that tell us animals were different. There's even a cloned baby mammoth FFS which is clearly different so people cannot argue that 'It was a fake' because due to carbon dating, we know when Ice Ages happened, and cross reference it with the dates of other plants and animals dating back to that time, the features of the body would suggest there were a few thousand years when the Earth was bloody chapping.

Would homosexuals still end up in Hell even if they were devoted Christians during their lifetime on Earth?
If it was against their religion (Or at least apparently, because if you read the bible translated directly in it's original Amharic, you'll find there's sweet Fanny Adams there about homosexuality, also, God was black with white hair, have fun, newfags.) then they wouldn't be Christians, would they?

Years
I'm a Christian who kind of has my own way of thinking. I believe that Christianity is about loving and accepting people, being kind, and bringing goodness to the world. It is not and should not be about looking down on, judging, or criticizing others.

Why do you refuse to accept others' beliefs but bash those who refuse to accepts yours?
Simple. I don't. I believe that everyone should be entitled to believe whatever they want to believe. As long as nobody is trying to force any idea (religious, political, non-religious, etc.) down my throat or bashing me for my way of thinking, than I don't have a problem with them.

Do you think that Atheists are immoral due to their lack of faith in God?
No. Morality is subjective and can come from any platform. There are very immoral Christians and non-Christians, just as there are moral Christians and non-Christians. Being a Christian does no automatically grant one morality. That is a personal effort, choice, and path to follow. A title does not grant you a lifestyle.

Do you believe in evolution?
I mean, yeah. I think people and animals are constantly evolving and changing. I don't think we came from monkeys, but I do think dinosaurs existed, and I do believe that there's proof all around us that evolution happens. I mean, dogs are irrefutable proof that species change and evolve.

Would homosexuals still end up in Hell even if they were devoted Christians during their lifetime on Earth?
I think whether or not you end up in Heaven depends on how good of a person you are, and I don't think that sexuality has anything to do with it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 11, 2015
Question 1:
Christians shouldn't be bashing other people:
As Christ said: Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
Personally, I like discussions like these where nobody is bashing anybody else.
Just an exchange about your beliefs. No argument or people screaming at each other.

Question 2:
No, everybody can be moral... As a Christian, I think that morals come from God, as does our conscience. Morals in the end are objective, because if they were subjective, then even Hitler can claim that he was moral as the morality would be subjective, meaning that nobody has done any wrong or any right. Morality by definition is about right or wrong, and subjective things cannot be right or wrong. However, that being said, you do not have to know the source of a law to follow a law. Basically, anyone can be moral.

Question 3:
I don't know enough about the theory to take a side. But there are Christians like Dr. Francis Collins who accept evolution and people who don't.

Question 4:
That is for God to decide... After all, who are we to judge? We are not God, we are only man.
A man having sex with another man is a sin, but it is not an unforgivable sin. Christ forgave the woman who committed adultery and the theif next to him when he was on the cross. Why wouldn't He forgive a homosexual who has full faith in him? (I don't know what your definition of a homosexual is... but I am going off of the definition where a person is born a certain way, personally, I think that it is a combination of nature and nurture... in the sense that the desire may be natural, but whether or not you try to appease that desire is up to choice). There are Christians who fall into this category like Christopher Yuan so lol...

Also, the hebrew word for day is the same as the hebrew word for era... and a lot of the times, when you see an apparent contradiction in the bible, it may just be because of a hebrew word that doesn't translate well or whatever... Also, back then they did not have the same scientific terms as us, and the phrase "son of" back then could have also been used to describe the descendant of someone like back then, they might say how you were the son of your great grandfather or something like that.

Also, I think that the science that we know of right now points to God... or at least, some supernatural entity because of inertia, and doesn't science say that at one point the universe was not in motion or that the universe had a beginning?

But of course, you can disagree if you want to.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
As much as I love religious debates, I gotta lock this one. The revival window in this forum is 30 days. Feel free to make a similar topic in future if you're interested (maybe with a less antagonizing title haha). Have a great day!

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back