• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Circle Dock Discussion (in Windows 7, now scrapped)

Did the Circle Dock look cool?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Who cares, i'm not even getting 7..

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    there isnt any need to disable it. its already scrapped ;)
    now theres just an optional app.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    It looks a bit... impractical. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to continuously have to minimize just to access the Dock. Part of the reason why the Dock is so succesful is because it's ALWAYS THERE, which makes it even better for application switching and window management.

I think that's one of the reasons why Microsoft designed the Taskbar as they did.

Doonesbury

Don't even worry about it.
    Years
    Now that'd be the story of Microsoft's life. They didn't put an option to disable the ribbon in any of their software (to the best of my knowledge, though workarounds do exist), and that's gotten a lot more heat than this ever would.

Ribbon? What do you mean?

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    It's more confusing then what people are used to at first. Really, I have no problem with that interface my self.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
    The circle dock is inferior, in my opinion, to the dock "superbar" that they're using now. It's pretty much the same functionality but accessible even when the screen is littered with windows.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I have actually seen no proof this was part of any build of Windows 7. I think OP be trolling unless he has source.

:|

Years
    But that's the shortcut button for the help tab in Google Chrome. ;) So it wouldn't work out for everyone.
    F1 is the shortcut key for help in almost anything.

Actually, out of all the docks that I've tried, Rocketdock has to be my favourite.

There's quite a few of these circular docks available on the net, though and the folder icon in this is actually from the default Rocketdock icons, so it really doesn't seem that respectable.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Any dock tool really is just for show and will only serve to slowdown most computers :|

I mean, Mac OSX does not have an amazing 'start' button like Windows so obviously it has to rely on an over glamorized dock, but Windows has no such handicap.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    F1 is the shortcut key for help in almost anything.

Actually, out of all the docks that I've tried, Rocketdock has to be my favourite.

There's quite a few of these circular docks available on the net, though and the folder icon in this is actually from the default Rocketdock icons, so it really doesn't seem that respectable.

I agree that rocketdock would be the best dock, although objectdock can be pretty useful at time too, so I just have the both of them, (not active at the same time of course.) Another good thing I found is 7 Stacks and also standalonestack, they're pretty good, you can put them in a dock or taskbar, really does save space in the bar.

And as for the circle dock, I tried it about a Month ago, and I don't really like it, it was a bit annoying, and as some said, just using the Windows 7 superbar is actually much better since it's just like a dock.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    lol, just discovered, even firefox has f1 as a hotkey.
    but we can change that anyway...

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    As I said before, it looks like unnecessary fluff. It's aesthetically pleasing, but in my eyes it serves no purpose to the common user. Not many people want to hit key commands to bring up something that should be constantly used. If this is in fact legit, then I can see why Microsoft scrapped it.

Also, for those Mac users longing for a Start Menu, I found one on Google. They're the same guys who made RightZoom. And the Dock does not slow down my Macs. I've been using the Dock extensively on both my actual MacBook and my hacked MacBook Mini, and they do not cause anything to lag whatsoever.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    Haha, so let me get this straight... Us Windows users want a dock, and the Mac users want a start button?

I used Rocket Dock for a while, but I've since stopped, as I found I NEVER used it.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    duh.. even some of the gadgets in vista/7 are useless

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I have actually seen no proof this was part of any build of Windows 7. I think OP be trolling unless he has source.

:|
    So I get a bad rep for this?

I was just saying there is no proof that early version of Windows 7 had a circle dock :|

Wasn't saying there was no dock app.

Back