• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Civilization

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Sid Meier's Civilization (and related titles), perhaps one of the greatest game series of all time, allows you to take control of one of country from history (the specifics vary from title to title) and create your own story. Mechanics vary in each game, but generally boil down to handling the basics of a number of cities you settle, exploring the world with various units, shaping the land with farms and mines, researching technology, founding religions, etc.

Civilization

The most recent releases are Civilization 5 and Civilization: Beyond Earth, a unique twist that takes the game to alien planets.​

If you haven't played this game, you may seriously need to reevaluate your life and consider where things went wrong.

Anyway, now that the mandatory introduction is out of the way, I'll start this off with a bit of discussion about Beyond Earth, which I am ultra salty about: see, I was playing as PAC in my latest game and these goddamn aliens like oml they literally screwed me out of early game expansion so while I was just wasting away throwing units at them (only for them to be smacked down by the TWO alien worms) everyone else was building up like 4+ cities each. By the time I managed to found an outpost I was nearly in last place score-wise. And then Brasilia just HAD to declare war on me. Aaagh!

If you would like to discuss your frustrations in-game, please do so. I would surely love to complain with you. Otherwise, I have a question for you: what is your favorite Civ to play as? Doesn't matter which game, just share it and we can discuss why you may/may not be making a good decision.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I usually play as Wu Zetian/China - when I first got the game I didn't know which Civ to pick so I just went with it because I'm Chinese, but I ended up really liking it so I stuck with China in most of my subsequent games. I love Chu-Ko-Nu and it's really useful to me since I generally like to play the path of war.

I don't have Beyond Earth but my brother got it recently, and I remember him having similar complaints as you (well, complaints of some sort, I don't remember). I thought he just sucked at the game but it does sound like it needs some balancing. :P I think the idea is cool though, I mean civ in space with aliens?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I usually play as Wu Zetian/China - when I first got the game I didn't know which Civ to pick so I just went with it because I'm Chinese, but I ended up really liking it so I stuck with China in most of my subsequent games. I love Chu-Ko-Nu and it's really useful to me since I generally like to play the path of war.

I love playing as China! I don't usually go the military route, so the whole Great General bonus isn't too much of a help, but the Papermaker is a great early-game science building. And of course having the Chu-ko-nu on your side certainly helps with those pesky barbarians.

I don't have Beyond Earth but my brother got it recently, and I remember him having similar complaints as you (well, complaints of some sort, I don't remember). I thought he just sucked at the game but it does sound like it needs some balancing. :P I think the idea is cool though, I mean civ in space with aliens?

The balance is a damn serious issue. Like my complaint is that the aliens are ridiculously strong and your human units have paper-thin defenses against them. I mean sure they don't want you completely wrecking them from the start, but the aliens tend to also be ultra-aggressive so if you get a large amount near your initial city, you're screwed because they have no problem entering your territory and killing your workers, razing improvements and causing all sorts of trouble.

Years
  • I never played Beyond Earth, but I know several people who play it and they don't like it nearly as much as Civ IV or V. I've only played V myself, but I've been interested in buying IV since I see it on sale a lot and it looks nice.

I usually play as England because I like having control of the seas. I try to focus on amassing as much gold as possible and then in the late game bribe other civs to declare war against each other. Also maintaining city-state influence is super helpful in this.

Last edited:

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I feel like I'm so picky when I play (on my own) that I find something to complain about in every game. XD

My favourite civs when I played civ3 would have been Persia and Russia. Omg I loved Persia so much in civ3 >.< In civ4 I can't really remember who I liked the most. But I do recall playing France a fair bit :3 Civ5 I think I've grown most accustomed to Portugal, Babylon, Korea, England and Egypt. I generally avoid war, the methodology of war in civ games still feels... clunky... to me. xD'

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Civ is love. Civ is life.

China is one of my favorites too! I like how versatile they are. The Cho-Ko-Nu gives you some pretty nice advantages in combat situations. And it's nice that you can always go the science route if you're like me and military victories aren't really your thing.

It's so hard for me to choose a favorite, but if I really had to choose one, I'd have to go with Korea, because all teh sciences. Seriously, Korea is boss when it comes to science. Give them a good lead at the start of the game and they're unstoppable. They're also pretty nice on the naval front, because nothing gets past those Turtle Ships. Not until the the Industrial Era, at least.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I never played Beyond Earth, but I know several people who play it and they don't like it nearly as much as Civ IV or V. I've only played V myself, but I've been interesting in buying IV since I see it on sale a lot and it looks nice.

I usually play as England because I like having control of the seas. I try to focus on amassing as much gold as possible and then in the late game bribe other civs to declare war against each other. Also maintaining city-state influence is super helpful in this.

I am so sad. I didn't know you could bribe Civs to fight each other! I really need to try this. >:3

I feel like I'm so picky when I play (on my own) that I find something to complain about in every game. XD

My favourite civs when I played civ3 would have been Persia and Russia. Omg I loved Persia so much in civ3 >.< In civ4 I can't really remember who I liked the most. But I do recall playing France a fair bit :3 Civ5 I think I've grown most accustomed to Portugal, Babylon, Korea, England and Egypt. I generally avoid war, the methodology of war in civ games still feels... clunky... to me. xD'

OMG Civ 3~ I loved playing as Greece and Rome. I really loved modding Civ 4 so I usually ended up making my own Civs to play as XD. I remember liking the Holy Roman Empire though.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Thinking back on it, I used to play a bit of France and Greece as well in Civ3. Although I'd only do Greece if I was looking to do military. xD

And it makes me sad, since I liked France in civ3 and 4, but I just don't like them at all in civ5. :/ Mind you, I have never really given them a shot.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the Civilization series I have played the following games: Civilization III, Civilization IV, Civilization IV Warlords, Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, Civilization Revolution, Civilization V, and Civilization Beyond Earth. My top three favorite civilizations to play as are the Aztecs, the Germans, and the Egyptians. When it comes to my favorite types of victory are Conquest and Space Race.

Course sometimes while playing I open the World Builder to give myself huge advantages. As for different wars I have done, I recall one time I went to war against the Romans. My allies in that war were the Indians and the Babylonians.

As for Beyond Earth, When it comes to the civs in that game, I have my own thoughts about what I remember. I recall when I was playing as the ARC, I had a few battles against the aliens. Course during that game, at one point Polystralia declared war against me. Course I did not war, but every time I wanted to end the war, Hutama was being a jerk and refusing to end the war.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Rome, Shoshone and Korea are most hax I guess.........

I love civ 3, 4, 5.

Back