• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Clearing up Urban legends and theories

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    I ran across a youtube video about a week or so ago talking about different urban legends and myths surrounding Pokemon Red/Blue series. I figured I would clear the air as a former translator for Game Freaks U.S. localization team.

1) Ghost can be captured using an Action Replay or a gameshark. If captured, ghost will restart your game and you will be able to kill both pokemon and npcs. (A.K.A. Pokemon CreepyBlack)

This is more false than it is true. Ghost has a flag that prevents him from being capturable. Playing around with the hex will disable this block allowing you to capture him, as Ghost was coded as a pokemon, not a NPC. As someone who has gone through the thousands of lines of conversation in the game, I can promise you that there is nothing that even remotely implies that you kill anyone besides Garys Raticate, but even that's debatable. I'll explain that later though. Also Ghost has no behind view sprite, only a forward view sprite. Since he has no behind view, capturing him would just show a corrupted image like MissingNo. Along with numerous other unforeseen errors since he was never meant to be captured in the first place. As far as the embedded sounds in Lavender Town go. That's completely false. I remember listening to that chiptune a lot while I was working because I enjoyed the weird melody. What you hear in the game is all there is. There's no secret extra sound clip or anything, no images of GHOST or unown spelling out "LEAVE NOW". In fact getting that type of sound to play on a GB would be impossible given the limitations of the sound driver.

2)Cubone is a Kangaskhan orphan?

When I had translation issues, I spoke to someone from Game Freak and he clarified the issue for me nearly immediately, granted I didn't try to call him at 2300 or some ridiculous hour. From my understanding when the game was in beta, Viz media got involved after a slightly hostile takeover to the original creator. This also ties in to the coma theory of the anime, but i'll get to that later, or forget about it... there's a lot I need to write.
    Anyways...
    The game itself was highly unchanged minus a few changes in the story placed by Viz. The original story of Lavender Town was supposed to be where pokemon and npcs alike came to pay their respects to their dead pokemon. You find Gary there because presumably his Raticate has died. How he died was never explained to me, all that I know for sure is that Gary came to pay his respects to one of his former pokemon. Cubones also come up there to grieve and in one instance near the end, you end up fighting a GHOST that transforms into a Kangaskhan, followed by a heart wrenching story about how cubones are orphaned kangaskhans who are one of the most loving pokemon with deep love for their families and friends. when a cubone is orphaned (Which happens frequently because Kangaskhans are described as having fairly weak constitutions), it's unable to let go and keeps the corpse of its mother close until she turns to bones.
    GHOST originally was supposed to be able to use a scripted version of transform which would turn it into a ghastly, haunter or so forth. The only hostile GHOST would be Cubones mother, Kangaskhan, This was scrapped and GHOST was given the ID 000. The hostile GHOST Kangaskhan was removed from the game lazily but the ID still remained. Seriously, Japanese Pocket Monster cartridges are much buggier than their U.S. counterparts (YOU'RE WELCOME!) mostly due to laziness.

3)The Coma Theory (Anime)

The anime has already been changed drastically by Viz when it had full control (Pokemon were supposed to be able to die, Ash could get mortally injured, Ash was Giovannis son, etc.) But Viz wanted a more child friendly approach rather than a young adults show that touched on deep personal issues. "Red" or "Blue" the player, keeps mostly true to the original theme, at least from what I was told. The reason for the coma theory is that the plot takes a 180 shortly after Ash gets struck by lightning. I'll admit I don't watch the anime regularly and only caught the first season thanks to my daughter, but there's a definite change at around that point which is the same time that Viz started demanding plot changes. There's no coma, it's just "under new management".

Anyone who works for Viz Media is basically bullied into not releasing any information, and Game Freak barely had a staff at the time so good luck trying to beat any information out of them.
    I however, am 3rd party, retired, and to old to care, posting on pokemon forum boards (no offense.)

tl;dr
    CreepyBlack rumor is fake.
    Embedded sound rumor is fake.
    Missingno. is GHOST
    GHOST is essentially ditto/Kangaskhan
    Viz Media can suck it.

I'm really bad at punctuation.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them, i'll answer what I can until I forget about this thread, or find something better to do.
    I won't give out names, locations or dates so I can at least create deniability in case I get some sort of lawsuit magically appearing in the mail.

Last edited:

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Wow, it's very dissapointing that Viz Media took away all the potential Pokemon orignally had to become a great anime. It would have been epic to have pokemon as a young adults show, rather than a kids show.

Max210

Ultimate P\/\/ /\/3|2Z!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2014
    I don't think so. Viz has nothing to do with the video game and only publishes the anime here in the states.
    If you were really part of the localization team, you're of these people
    US Coordination

Gail Tilden
    Naoko Kawakami
    Hiro Nakamura
    William Giese
    Sara Osborne

Text Translation

Nob Ogasawara

Executive producer

Hiroshi Yamauchi

Presumably Nob Ogasawara.

So, in short, you're lying.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, I'll admit to being sceptical for other reasons, namely these two bits:
    I figured I would clear the air as a former translator for Game Freaks U.S. localization team.
    I'm really bad at punctuation.
    A translator bad at punctuation? Conflict there.

That and my understanding is that the games were always fairly separate from the anime so you commenting on both seems quite odd.
    Lastly:
    Seriously, Japanese Pocket Monster cartridges are much buggier than their U.S. counterparts (YOU'RE WELCOME!) mostly due to laziness.
    Not sure what translating had to do with bugs without some massive recoding happening, and the claim the Japanese games were far buggier than the US games is something I'm quite sceptical about. Missingno, Glitch City, etc being in both suggest otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Well, I'll admit to being sceptical for other reasons, namely these two bits:

A translator bad at punctuation? Conflict there.

English is not my native language. Typing in Katakana requires a lot less use of semicolons and such.

Not sure what translating had to do with bugs without some massive recoding happening, and the claim the Japanese games were far buggier than the US games is something I'm quite sceptical about. Missingno, Glitch City, etc being in both suggest otherwise.
    Localization teams don't only translate. In Japan, Pokemon came out with red, blue, and green. Part of the localization job was to fit all 151 pokemon into two games from the previous 3. At the time of American release, a few bugs had been found that had not been addressed in the Japanese release so they were fixed. The Missingno and glitch city glitches had not been discovered by the American release by either groups or Japanese retailers at the time so those were not addressed either. Missingno on cinnabar isles happens for a very similar reason. A GHOST/Kangaskhan/Cubone side story was scrapped on that island and one of the flags to activate the quest line was changing your trainers sprite into a different sprite. Not all of the data got scrubbed and the flags remained, however no pokemon was left assigned to that flag so you get the corrupted non-entity, Missingno.

I don't think so. Viz has nothing to do with the video game and only publishes the anime here in the states.....

....So, in short, you're lying.

That's not really accurate. The contract holders own the product and although Game Freak holds its own, that doesn't mean that they weren't pressured into executive decisions. When games go through this process it can get tedious and held up in development due to contractual disputes. Ultimately an agreement was made and luckily the majority of the game remained intact. A few coding errors were left in as a result, but most of those were fixed in later releases, namely the American standardized versions.

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Just these clarifications aren't really enough to prove that you were actually on the localization team, as most of this has also been figured out by fans already, and probably wouldn't be hard to find if you just took your time to look for it. But anyways, that is not was this thread is about.

Everything you mentioned here appears to be right, though there is one thing that puzzles me. You said that the anime took a turn because Viz demanded plot changes around the point when Ash got struck by lightning, though how can you make plot changes to a show that hasn't even developed a plot yet? Ash got struck by lightning in the end ofo the first episode, and it's from there the whole coma theory originates, since everything in the show seemed relatively normal beforehand, apart from the Pokémon and 10 years old going on adventure thing. And even with that, I believe Ash's Butterfree was implied to have died after mating in the "Bye Bye Butterfree" episode, even though they changed the whole dying thing in the 4Kids dub.

Back