• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Clemont... A girl?!

kartöflur

actual potato
Years
  • Before you all yell at me and say he's obviously a boy, please listen.

transclemont on tumblr brought up an interesting idea in his character analysis of Clemont.

I'd suggest before you reply, that you read it here:
    https://transclemont.tumblr.com/post/119301767616/my-analysis-of-clemonts-character-and-gender

Basically, it's an essay giving evidence for the argument that Clemont could possibly be a trans male, or a person assigned female at birth, but identifies as male.

I'm not saying it's absolutely true, or even intended by the writers, but it's food for thought and discussion, which is why I brought it here. So please enjoy debating and be nice :)

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • clickbait xD
    But I don't think he's a girl. He may act and dress like one but that's just crossdressing and effeminate aura oozing out of him hehe

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    This... make sense. What the hell, I already buy the coma theory.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • He's voiced by Kaji, he's obviously a boy.
    Ash was voiced by a girl but he's still a boy. This post makes no sense.

Clemont is a gay boy/man.

Can't be a woman/girl for no boobs.
    Yes, because gender identity is totally determined by genitalia...

Why do I even bother to read threads when they're just filled with ignorant people fml

Years
  • Who the hell even brought that up? And I actually saw that Tumblr post in question, but nope I don't see anything feminine about him. He has a male voice even in the Japanese version, so he's definitely male to me.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Ah Tumblr, never change. ;)

On a serious note, no, Clemont is always a boy despite sounding feminine in the Japanese version. The coma theory at least had more merit prior to Gen V and onwards.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Ash was voiced by a girl but he's still a boy.
    Yea, and?
    It isn't full-duplex, you know?
    Female seiyuus normally voice boys but unless it's for comedic relief and it's still only in one-two episodes, male seiyuus do not voice girls.

And especially Citron's VA, Yuuki Kaji, he voices most shounen protagonists you can find. (With only Matsuoka being comparable)
    He won't voice a girl.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Most of these arguments just stem from the fact that he's a person that doesn't like attention that much. You could argue that those things stem from being transgender, but they could just as well, and more probably, be signs of him being shy and awkward, which is very common for a nerd stereotype. The post also seems to assume that because he was smart as a kid, he was also mature as a kid, which usually doesn't mean anything. Emotional maturity isn't very linked with intellect, especially at a young age.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    This is honestly quite straw grasping. Let me debunk it entirely:1) The binder, wouldn't say that he wears girls under shirts. Looks more like a plain white tanktop, which most guys sleep in. This could go either way.
    2) The swimsuit, it's obvious as to why he covers up. Clemont's the ultimate Nerd, He isn't althletic, extremely smart, he is subconsious about his body essentially, he isn't fit, doesn't really like water it seems. Honestly I know a lot of nerds that would go swimming just like that. That doesn't make them transgender, it makes them fear what others think of their weak body, which again, it's normal, everyone goes through something like that one day in their life.
    3) The running thing: Again he's a typical super Nerd, Probably has Asthma, much like myself. I can run endlessly but the asthma has me stop so I can breathe, I imagine this to be the same for Clemont from what I could see, This also explains why smoke affects him most.
    4) The Bonnie and marriage making: Clemont's like 10 to 15, who in their right mind would want to be forced into marriage that young? I imagine no one. Bonnie just doesn't grasp that because she is younger. Also most people want to get to know someone, beter and share similar interests with them before even dating. Plus he is constantly traveling atm, why would he even want to settle down? Hence why he gets annoyed, he's not ready yet.
    5) And lastly, as pointed out above, Bonnie calls him brother, and they are really close siblings, they seem to tell each other everything, I imagine that between her and their dad, they very well know if he has a problem like this.

thoughts, and did I miss anything?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If you wanna get technical, even if he were female at one point then he'd still presenting himself as male now, so we still wouldn't wanna go around calling him a female.

It is an interesting idea, and while I'm all for trans / non-binary characters in series, I don't think the Pokemon anime would be that bold. Though, there was a trans character in one of the new games. Still don't think the anime would take that turn, but in my personal opinion, it would be awesome if it did. I would not complain at all if that tumblr post was actually canon. lmfao

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • Yea, and?
    It isn't full-duplex, you know?
    Female seiyuus normally voice boys but unless it's for comedic relief and it's still only in one-two episodes, male seiyuus do not voice girls.

And especially Citron's VA, Yuuki Kaji, he voices most shounen protagonists you can find. (With only Matsuoka being comparable)
    He won't voice a girl.
    This just gets more and more offensive

Back