• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

clever...

seraphim

Seraphim
Years
  • pokemon names are pretty clever...they use some interesting puns and plays on words and the likes... for example, deoxys, from the sugar in dna, deoxyribose, magikarp is well, a carp... and carp supposedly turn into dragons after swimming to the top of a waterfall by some generic oriental legend..which explains gyarados or however it's spelled. a weedle is an actual insect that burrows under skin and stuff. relicanth is a play off of coelocanth, an ancient fish assumed to be extinct until living samples were found near africa in 1930 something. omonite or whatever is like ammonite, a similar looking crustacean that is now extinct... abra kadabra alakazam is obvious... any anyone else has noticed or anything, or has a question about?

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
    Years
  • I think this should go in Genaral games disscussion.

But meh I think the nbames are cool.Who comes up with them.

Emerald Queen

Dragon Training Apprentice
    Years
  • I picked this one up from something called 'Fortean Times', which occasionally throws up interesting tidbits about Pokemon...

Apparently, Uri Gellar, a small time celebrity renowned for bending and twisting various items of cutlery, is suing Nintendo and the originator of pokemon for using his name without permission. According to the report, the Japanese name for Kadabra ( or was it Alakazam?) is UnGellar, which, unless you are familiar with the standard western aplhabet, looks a good deal like UriGellar...

Of course, this might just be another of those strange myths and rumours that keep popping up...

Years
  • Emerald Queen said:
    I picked this one up from something called 'Fortean Times', which occasionally throws up interesting tidbits about Pokemon...

Apparently, Uri Gellar, a small time celebrity renowned for bending and twisting various items of cutlery, is suing Nintendo and the originator of pokemon for using his name without permission. According to the report, the Japanese name for Kadabra ( or was it Alakazam?) is UnGellar, which, unless you are familiar with the standard western aplhabet, looks a good deal like UriGellar...

Of course, this might just be another of those strange myths and rumours that keep popping up...
    that is like... 3 years old. serioulsy. old news.

but thanks for sharing

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    Emerald Queen said:
    I picked this one up from something called 'Fortean Times', which occasionally throws up interesting tidbits about Pokemon...

I heard about that and it was Kadabra. He though pokemon took his idea of bending spoons. But he lost the case.

Emerald Queen

Years
  • Ah, not to forget the poison gas pokemon Koffing and Weezing... subtle anti smoking campaign there?
    You can find strange/funny co incidences about just about all Western pokemon names: some obvious, others not so. What about the original Japanese names, translated? Are they just as full of puns?

Emerald Queen

Years
  • OK so the names aren't clever ( clever= intelligent): that isn't the point. the point is that they're puns, some of which don't register at first as being puns.

Whoever comes up with Western names for pokemon certainly has a very good grasp of the English language, to be able to come up with names that are descriptive as well as being puns.

I give to you a lonely Celebi, a pathetic Feebas, a gaping Mawile, peckish Gulpin, ravenous Swalot, glowingly feminine Illumise, and the tenacious jewel Clamperl.

Don't be so ready to dis the issue: it can't be easy naming 386 ( and rising) creatures. Not all of them are going to have smart names! :bandit:

C Sherbii S

...still trying to beat the E4
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 9, 2008
    I like the fact the names are puns. I like trying to figure out what they mean by them. Such as ekans is snake backwards, and arbok is kobra backwards (cobra)

Shiny Lugia

Scyther Lover ;)
    Years
  • And Mew is a cat and cats say "Mew" or Meow but close enough. Seviper=viper, sometimes NOA just spells pokemon differntly even though they sound the same like Koffing (Coughing). But some like the legendry birds are pretty clever. Articuno Zapdos and Moltres. One, two, three in English. I'd say the newer pokemon have less clever names unlike the first 151 pokemon.

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
  • I doubt it was intended that way, but I always thought it was funny how Smeargle's name sounds like "Smeagle," the name Gollum used to have, lol. Every time I see a Smeargle, I imagine it with Gollum's voice from the LotR movies! :D

"Smeargle's a good Pogey! Yessss... yes, precioussss... Smeargle issss...."

Emerald Queen

Years
  • A lot of them are quite easy to pick up on, but it took me some time to catch on to Ampharos ( Amp, as in electric, and pharos, the name of the very first light house).
    Some of the others are just plain mystifying, though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I think that this would go better in Pok?mon General section, since it isn't exactly related to the FireRed/LeafGreen games. ^_^;

Anyway, I do like all of the English names for the Pok?mon. Almost all of them fit them well. You can tell that they actually took some time to think when they were coming up with most of them. Some don't seem as original, (like Seel and Mr. Mime) but I still like them.

Back