• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coders

Years
  • Is there any coders out there that might want to help out with a project I have in mind? I have an idea for a website but need a little bit of help. Feel free to PM me at anytime.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Is there any coders out there that might want to help out with a project I have in mind? I have an idea for a website but need a little bit of help. Feel free to PM me at anytime.

You might want to be sure to post more information about what you are looking for. There are a lot of different types of program languages. You mentioned website, what are you wanting to do with the website?

Years
  • You might want to be sure to post more information about what you are looking for. There are a lot of different types of program languages. You mentioned website, what are you wanting to do with the website?

I'm looking to make a trading website. Similar to another website. I won't post the link though.

Years
  • If you're creating a website for something small like trading, then I don't really think there's a need to build it from scratch. Now you can always purchase a domain and whatnot for hosting the site, but I wouldn't recommend building from scratch unless you know what you're doing with the coding.

There's always content management systems you could look into, such as Wordpress. If you don't mind using a paid service, then you could try Squarespace. Alternatively, there's the option to use tumblr as well by linking your domain to tumblr, and your tumblr URL will be redirected to your website.

Now I'm not sure if that's what you mean by needing coders. You should probably be more specific with how you want it made as well, because there are various web languages that can be used to develop a website.

What I said above was just my general thought and interpretation of what you've posted.

Years
  • If you're creating a website for something small like trading, then I don't really think there's a need to build it from scratch. Now you can always purchase a domain and whatnot for hosting the site, but I wouldn't recommend building from scratch unless you know what you're doing with the coding.

There's always content management systems you could look into, such as Wordpress. If you don't mind using a paid service, then you could try Squarespace. Alternatively, there's the option to use tumblr as well by linking your domain to tumblr, and your tumblr URL will be redirected to your website.

Now I'm not sure if that's what you mean by needing coders. You should probably be more specific with how you want it made as well, because there are various web languages that can be used to develop a website.

What I said above was just my general thought and interpretation of what you've posted.

I basically want to create a website like CSGO Lounge, where users can put up trades for Pokemon. I know we have this website and others like reddit but I think it would be neat to have a quick an easy website for quick trades.

Years
  • Ah, I see!

Anyways, I do wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors towards getting the website live and going. However, please do keep in mind that if you do have anybody from PC helping you build the site to not solicit them, because anything involving monetary transactions on PC is against forum rules. Just thought I'd let you know this, even if you didn't intend on it. :)

Years
  • Ah, I see!

Anyways, I do wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors towards getting the website live and going. However, please do keep in mind that if you do have anybody from PC helping you build the site to not solicit them, because anything involving monetary transactions on PC is against forum rules. Just thought I'd let you know this, even if you didn't intend on it. :)

Okay thank you for the info. I probably won't get the site going soon anyway, maybe even never. Thank you though for the reply's.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • The first question you have to ask yourself is: how complicated will the website be? And depending on the answer, there are various methods you can take. You can simply hire a programmer to write this website for you, or get someone to help, and that would be great; until you need to update the website. Depending on the way the programmer has written the back-end code of the website, it may take you 30 minutes, 30 hours or 30 days to add a simple feature.

I highly recommend taking a look at different web technologies you can use (PHP and Python are the most popular), as well as database software available although I'll be surprised if you don't use MySQL, and then ask yourself if your website can be written in a manner where not many updates or changes are required. If so, the you can go ahead and get someone to help you write the code in a procedural and modular manner and you'll be pretty dandy. However, if the website is going to be somewhat complicated (i.e. different logic is required in different parts, user authentication, etc.) then I recommend using a MVC framework to build your website.

The most popular ones are Django (Python) and Laravel (PHP), and essentially what they do is make you write your code, and organise your data in a specific way through the use of models, views and controllers and while this is somewhat restricting, it allows you to make big changes very quickly (not to mention they both have awesome tempting systems, too.)

If I've confused you somewhat, don't worry too much. Just try to keep in mind the complication of your website in mind and use that to make an informed decision about the technologies you can use.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • Yeah. If you have questions about web design or server engineering, I'm probably the one to ask.

@Serene Grace
    Oi. Python and PHP really aren't the best technologies for a new website these days. Not MySQL either. You probably know that popularity doesn't necessarily translate to merit. Django is known to be a very opinionated framework, and is very limited and bloated. PHP in general. Notable characteristics include slowness and vulnerability. Not MySQL for to its high affinity to PHP and various other characteristics similar to those of PHP. When you take into account safety, performance, programmer productivity, and coverage, they aren't very good choices. It's not an entirely objective opinion, but a professional opinion based on many years of experience.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah. If you have questions about web design or server engineering, I'm probably the one to ask.

@Serene Grace
    Oi. Python and PHP really aren't the best technologies for a new website these days. Not MySQL either. You probably know that popularity doesn't necessarily translate to merit. Django is known to be a very opinionated framework, and is very limited and bloated. PHP in general. Notable characteristics include slowness and vulnerability. Not MySQL for to its high affinity to PHP and various other characteristics similar to those of PHP. When you take into account safety, performance, programmer productivity, and coverage, they aren't very good choices. It's not an entirely objective opinion, but a professional opinion based on many years of experience.
    I agree with mostly everything you said, but I never claimed they were the best, simply that they were the most popular. Popularity does have its merits though, i.e. thorough documentation being good to introduce anyone new to web development, especially if they're going to be using MVC.

I do disagree, however, with Django being limited and bloated. There may be some truth in the limited point, but bloated? I can't see how.

Back