• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Collecting pokémon merchandise

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

Do you collect pokémon merchandise? Why do you like to do that? Alternatively: why don't you do that?

Do you feel there is enough or too much pokémon merchandise available for you? Where you live or on the web or anywhere. Is there some kind of merchandise you wish existed but haven't seen yet?

You don't have to answer these exact questions; posting your own thoughts on the subject is fine too~

NOTE: this thread is for discussion, not showing off. If you want to list or show pictures of what merchandise you own,
    go to the Show Your Collection!! thread.

This doesn't mean pictures are prohibited here, but you could refrain from posting images unless the discussion needs a pic for clarifying what something is, maybe. Use your common sense :]​

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    I'm collecting the cards and playing the latest games, but not much else. I don't really have a reason to engulf my life in Pokemon when video games as a whole are more important. With that said, I do buy gaming t-shirts like my Unreal that some have seen among Halo and some different gaming pajamas. They're more for around the house, casual clothing meant to be worn on lazy days or during a major release. When Mass Effect 3 dropped, had my N7 shirt on playing the game well past midnight, lol. It just feels right.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I collect lots of Pokemon merchandise, not sure exactly why, anything Pokemon related and given that I have enough money with me at the time I'll buy it. Doesn't matter if its plush toys, plastic figurines, clothing (that actually fits me - adult size XL), TCG boosters, boxes, or tins, movies, or games. I have to have it. Most of my collection is posted in RNC topic (link on the first post above), anything new I get (not TCG related) I try to post a photo there.

Plush toys are main source of buying Pokemon merchandise, brings me comfort and in a way, at nights, keep the nightmares away (not monsters, demons, or ghosts, when I get those I think of it as being "in a music video" thanks to me liking metal music - but my main phobias, mainly dying in some sort of natural disaster separated from family, or me not being able to save them). Yes, I sleep with a plush Pokemon every night (I change often). I don't get nightmares of any kind, unless the plush falls on the floor during the night.

It also keeps me from buying lots of sugary treats or drinks (its what I would spend most of my money on before) - which isn't good for my diabetes.... but before I buy Pokemon merchandise, I have to make sure I set money aside for medication and bills. At the store, now I'm like "Chocolate or Pokemon? - I'll go with Pokemon, chocolate some other time"

Although I think I answered most of the questions, I'll still answer them:

Do you collect pokémon merchandise? - Yes, a lot. Anywhere I find it (and if I have enough money at that time) I'll buy it, doesn't matter if its a Pokemon I like or not

Why do you like to do that? - I would say, it brings me joy - prevents me from purchasing sugary treats
    Alternatively: why don't you do that? - doesn't apply to me

Do you feel there is enough or too much pokémon merchandise available for you? (Where you live or on the web or anywhere). - In Seattle (or the surrounding cities - Everett, Bellevue, & Tacoma) there isn't much on the figurines, or the plush toys (those I have to buy online). Most of the Trading Card Game stuff I can find in most of the big stores (like Target & Toys R Us), same for the Video Games.

Is there some kind of merchandise you wish existed but haven't seen yet? - Most of the plush toys I want to try and find I never seen available anywhere. For some (like Persian or Furret or Zangoose or Floatzel - my favorite Pokemon from the older generations) I don't think any where made, so in a way there isn't enough of them.

Last edited:

-Slick-

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    I used to collect various Pokemon merchandise back when I was 10 and the show was BIG. Gradually my collection of merchandises decreased as I got older so the only Pokemon related items I would purchase would be games. I used to buy the pokedex, pokeball keychains, pokemon toys...etc. When I moved my family misplaced my box containing the merchandises so I lost them all. I was pretty sad for a while but realized I still had the memories.

If I could, I would continue to purchase the merchandise but my budget it limited due to college so I only buy their games now

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I used to buy a lot of merchandise when Pokemon was new and there was everything to buy. These days, I might still check out the Pokemon section in the toys department of whatever store I'm in, but there really isn't much out there that I want to buy. I'm mainly a plushie collector, and there aren't a lot that I want to spend my money on. I can have only so many Pikachu plush!

Also the usual money issue. Most of my money is going towards merchandise of different franchises these days.

But yes, there's really not a lot of available merchandise in my area. Unfortunately, I live in an area of the country where only the most popular toys are found, and even then only rarely. Since Pokemon isn't as popular these days as it used to be, stores in my area are phasing out Pokemon merchandise to expand other franchises that will make them more money. Except for the trading cards, which no one buys so the stores have them shoved onto clearance racks.

I would go onto the Internet for all my Pokemon-purchasing needs, but the money issue is holding me back.

I do wish that there were more items based on the male Nidoran line. They're my favorite Pokemon, and I wish I had more of them to display aside from one Burger King keychain of Nidoking.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I still have all of my Pokemon cards that I bought as a child and a little Charmander doll I won at a carnival one year. And some old BK toys and the Pokeballs for the gold BK cards. But besides the games, a couple movies, and those, I don't really have any. If I had more money I probably would buy plushies and figurines. But alas, I'm broke. All the time. lol

TY

I got a lot of figurines and some plushies. I also had tons of cards from when i was a little kid, but they magically disappeared. And so now and then i tend to buy another plushie

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I only had very few Pokemon related merchandise when I was much younger... A couple of small figurines (Elekid & Mantine) and a Pikachu clock!
    I only purchase the games nowadays.

I'm not interested in plush toys and figurines. I'd rather have key rings, keepsakes and certain clothing like beanies or gloves. I haven't really made the effort to look for any merchandise though. It's scarce in my area.

Last edited:

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I collect because well when it comes right down to it, I'm obsessed, I will buy any thing and every thing pokemon related, I will buy some thing pokemon related no matter if I already have it or not. I buy both from the web and yard sales or any where else I find things, the only thing I have ever passed up buying was a binder full of cards only because the shop owner wanted to much for the little amount that was in it and I'm not big on cards any ways.
    And in my opinion, there is not enough pokemon merchandise out there, it's getting pretty scarce (sorry if I spelled that wrong) for pokemon items this days unless it's cards or games.

Years
  • I used to collect more when I was a kid - I have a ton of cards from Gen 1, and now I really only collect plushies because it seems I have a growing collection of geeky plushies haha. I actually started playing Pokemon again because I was in Nintendo World at NYC and a friend pointed out a Tepig plushie to me. I lovelovelove pigs, so I bought the plushie and then a few days later bought Pokemon Black and a 3DS and here we are :p

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I used to collect a LOT to the point where most of my money was going into my collection. I don't regret it at all, but when I looked at the list of things I wanted to collect going into Gen V (all of which turned out to be somewhat popular in that they got a looooot of merchandise) I realized I had to draw the line somewhere. I collected a few items that were too cute to pass up and/or would be functional (like my pink Whimsicott pencil case which was honestly just PERFECT) but unlike with previous favourites, I'm not going out of my way to collect absolutely every piece of official merchandise ever released.

:P I'm proud of my complete Cherrim collection (minus cards and some other flats like battrio, sadly ._.) but I can't say I'm overly gutted about the fact that I don't have a comparable Vanillite or Whimsicott collection. (I had a whole slew of other Pokemon I wanted to collect but those were the two that became lasting favourite after I got bored with the rest of Gen V.) I definitely have priorities now whereas before I'd just buy whatever was available. With Vanillite/Whimiscott I pretty much just got the Pokedolls and that was about it. :( If I had a more steady source of income or lots of money to spend, I'd probably consider going back to my "buy all the things" ways but there are a lot of other fandoms I'm more into now so my money would probably just go there anyway.

I look at my collection now and while I can still tell you in complete excitement what each part of my Cherrim collection is and roughly when/how I got it... I can't say the same for the myriad of Pichu stuff I have. It was the focus of my collection for years and while there are plenty of pieces in it that I still adore to this day (my 1/1s, talking plush, giant Gizamimi, canvas, zukan, kids <3) I'm looking over at it now and going "where the hell did I get that figure and what even is it?" I like looking at my collection but I also want it to have meaning so buying up everything I see doesn't make sense to me anymore. Space is also an issue so I want to be able to display everything I love prominently.

As for merch that doesn't exist but I'd like to see? Vanillite and Whimsicott line zukans, I suppose. And I'd always be up for more Cherrim or Nosepass/Probopass merch. Beyond that though, I've gotten almost everything I could ask for. Cherrim got a zukan, it got a Pokedoll, it got a canvas plush and it even got an overcast plush that was exclusive to NA which just... doesn't happen! I was completely spoilt with my favourite Pokemon without it being too saturated (like Pichu was, which was my previous favourite). I guess the only thing I could hope for beyond this is a 1/1 Cherrim plush although I came pretty close with the canvas ripoff bootleg that floats around eBay sometimes. :x It's only an inch or two short of lifesize.

TY

I have lots of plushies, but this one is my favortie and hardest to get of em all:

Spoiler:

I was wating for weeks till it came in and i was really happy (also i completed a game at the time it came, so idk if i was really happy for the plush or the game :S)
    Also i have a Togepi, Psyduck and a Torchic plush and i used to have a Mudkip one till my sis sold it for some reason ;;

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    I have lots of plushies, but this one is my favortie and hardest to get of em all:

Spoiler:

I was wating for weeks till it came in and i was really happy (also i completed a game at the time it came, so idk if i was really happy for the plush or the game :S)
    Also i have a Togepi, Psyduck and a Torchic plush and i used to have a Mudkip one till my sis sold it for some reason ;;

Dat Salamence! I have 4 mudkipz and A banner I got printed From Walmart "I Heard You Liked Mudkipz"

tnfsf11

I used to have Merlin's sticker album of the first generation, it had a red cover with the picture of Ash & Pikachu on it, I used to buy many sticker packs & slowly stick the stickers in the album...
    Sadly I lost it years ago :'(

Years
  • O07_eleven said:
    (apologies if there is already a topic on this, I did a search but didn't find anything, sorry
    12.%20tongue.gif
    )

Actually, there already is an active topic talking about Pokemon merchandise and collecting it, so I'm going to go ahead and merge the two threads, but feel free to continue discussing the topic!

MERGED.

Sirfetch’d

When I was younger I would collect anything and everything Pokemon. I had many of the movies, dozens of plushies, all of the games, posters, and many more things. I also had thousands of cards even though I never learned how to play the TCG. Now though I really don't have anything as I just got rid of it all. I lost interest for a while and ended up selling it all or giving it away which I now regret :I

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • I used to. As a kid. Sold most everything and now I regret it. I don'y collect now simply as I don't have the money to. If I did, I would grab anything even related to Pokemon.

Back