• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

College/university degrees

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I originally tried to get a Bachelors degree in CS but ended up dropping out. Instead I went through training for a job as a Software Engineer and have been doing that job for a couple years now.

I actually still don't know what would be my "dream job" and what I'd like to do with my life. ^^"

Years
  • I'm currently in HS so I'm not currently working towards a degree; I'm a Junior and I do want to attend though so I've been really focusing on refining my college profile over the past 2 years. It's certainly not fun though trying to juggle maintaining a 4.0 while keeping a part time job and being in like 6 clubs at once because admissions officers have to find you InTeReStInG and think you're lEaDeRsHiP MaTeRiAl to have a shot at getting into a good school/getting scholarships. My ultimate goal is to become a practicing psychiatrist; part of this is admittedly due to the money and prestige, I'd love to be able to call myself Dr CoolKid575 and medicine is a pretty secure path to the upper middle class. But I do really want to be able to help mentally ill people and I firmly believe medication is one of the very best ways to do that.

Years
  • I have both Bachelor's and Master's degree in secondary school education with the focus on math and computer science. I'm currently in my third year of PhD in computer science in education. I wouldn't change a thing. I was annoyed by my country's education system since primary school, so I always wanted to work in teachers' education and preparation.
    One alternative I can see myself trying after I get burned out of teaching, is working as a computer scientist.

Days
  • I have a B.S. in Chemistry, a B.A. in Psychology, an M.S. in Accounting, a CPA license, and I was halfway through law school before becoming disabled and having to drop out. I *love* learning and would go out and get more degrees if I could!

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I'm working towards a TEFL (Teaching of English as a Foreign Language) degree at a public university here! As Went said above, I'm unfamiliar with the concept of debt here because most of our public universities and tertiary education institutes are tuition-free; at most, you have to pay a small contribution towards upkeep. This degree's taken me a lot longer than I expected it to, though, due to some health issues (including dropping out a whole year to recover from an accident) plus ridiculously convoluted timetables that made it impossible for me to take some subjects at the point I should have taken them. That's public uni for you.

Thankfully, if everything goes right, I'll be graduating next year. I'm already qualified to take positions at English language learning institutes, but since most of those are... questionably managed, I would like to have my degree so I can take a more stable job.

Update: I graduated from this course a month ago! Now that I have my degree certificate, I'm already dropping resumes to look for teaching jobs for next year (and for the summer as well). It's also likely I'll just go freelance for the time being until I either get hired somewhere or can enter the public education system.

That said, I would also like to continue my studies in the field of education. Unfortunately, my country is at a crossroads as regards the fate of public education because the far-right won't let us have nice things, so most of these plans depend on who wins the election this upcoming Sunday. I'll be praying for the best result for us all.

Back