• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

College/University

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Who else is in it and what's it like for you? Also for you old folks who've graduated, did you enjoy your time in college/uni and does the real world seem as scary as the professors make it out to be? xp

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • Well I am neither in college nor did I graduate. Quite the opposite it was the absolute worst time in my life. The first time I ever contemplated suicide and causing such crushing depression that there were days I sat on my bed doing nothing for hours upon hours. I lost all of my friends stopped eating very much (I lost 30 pounds). Despite being an A/B student in high school with a 3.6 GPA and graduated with honors and a 30 on the ACT (in fact the university I went to by some measures was the best public one in the state) I flunked half of my courses and only got along with one of my professors. Additionally the only "friends" I had there (more like people who wouldn't leave me alone) have since been expelled due to voyeurism, grand theft, and drug dealing. I was taken out of college due to severe chronic depression and had to go through therapy.

All that being said I had arguably the worst possible experience one could have at college. Just short of "the end" but there are plenty of people who enjoy their time at college.

I've been working since before I left school and honestly I can say I hate it. Even while out of school I still make an effort every day to learn as much as I can. That being said everyone should go to college and it's good for everyone. You need college as much as people might not like to believe. I'm still looking to go back.

As for is the "real world" as scary as your professors make it out to be? I'd say if you don't graduate and are left with massive debt you must pay off every single month while working a minimum wage job then yes. However if you do graduate and manage to find a job it's not particularly difficult at all.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I dropped out because it was too difficult, what with depression, anxiety, stress, etc.
    I couldn't handle it and I would only have screwed up my grades and put myself in a bad position.

I'll be returning later when my situation improves.

You should try some online classes! I have taken quite a few of those and have had good success with them. You don't have the benefit of all the "hands on" lecturing but it's something to consider imo!

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Oh boy college... I have sooo much to say about it.
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... My favorite thing about it was the freedom. Setting your own schedule was really great, having entire afternoons/days off from school was really neat. I had a nice group of friends, who I don't really keep in contact with anymore, but they made things fun. I do miss those times.
    It was definitely stressful at times though, especially during finals. The uncertainty of the future loomed over me throughout college too and I didn't REALLY know what I wanted to do until the end of my senior year.
    As for the real world? Oh yeah, it's scary! Very, very scary. Finding a job, paying for your own stuff, figuring out how to pay off debts... Makes me wish I could be six years old and playing in my parents backyard again. I wish college would better prepare you for those things.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I go to University, yeah. I'm in my second year as of this year. My first year wasn't smooth sailing but it certainly wasn't horrible. I'm studying something really interesting, I have a lot of great friends and the atmosphere and culture on campus is really great. Academically it's challenging, but I enjoy it. I'm doing well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I just recently returned to college as of 2 weeks or so ago! It's my first time back in about a couple of years, and, being truthful, while it is stressful (expected, I'm in school 12 hours a day...

HOW IS THAT EVEN HUMANLY POSSIBLE!? :o

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    It's 3 classes that I have every Monday, so it's not THAT bad. I have my Computer Hardware class from 9 AM to 12:30 PM, Computer Software from 1 PM to 3:45 PM. Last class is Computer Networks from 5:30 PM to 9 PM (really the prof lets the class to whatever at 7:30 anyway when he's done w/his lectures, so we can possibly leave early if desired).

So wait, is it like a 1 class a week thing? Yeah that doesn't sound too bad especially if you have a job because that gives you more time for it later in the week.

Years
  • I was in college for 5 years!! It was decent for me and added some stable schedule to my life, now I just sleep all the time lol.
    I graduated with two degrees :3

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I'm currently about to enter my 4th and final year of university and I absolutely love it and I'm gonna be pretty sad when I leave.

Of course there's been a lot of challenges like having to balance my double major of Media Design subjects which are less structured than my Information Systems subjects which are a lot more structured.

Not to mention us design kids practically live at uni often staying at school for 16 or so hours at uni from 7:30AM till 11:30PM (unless of course you decide to hide from the security guards and stay till the next morning - and that happens 7 days a week.
    Group projects too can either be a good thing or bad thing depending on who's in your team.

But despite that, it's just really fun. Sure you're staying long hours, but working on stuff with your friends who are also staying late doesn't really make the work that tiring or boring either. I have a great group of friends and I know a lot of people in the class so I can pretty much get along with everyone.

Lecturers and tutors are far from the scariest things. Especially design lecturers are total bros with you and incredibly helpful when you talk to them - just first years I guess who can get pretty intimidated by them.

tl;dr love every bit of uni. 10/10 worth it.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    well you need to spend money to make money but I don't have enough money to spend money so I can make money and that's pretty much where I'm at with college rn

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I graduated in 2014 with my degree in Economics.

College was extremely fun in the beginning. Classes weren't hard so I barely studied and still got great grades all while being out until 3am six days of the week. If I could relive that time, I totally would, it was so carefree.

The last 2 years of my college career were difficult. I had untreated anxiety and depression, had a couple of other health ailments hit, my family was going through a lot, and I was overworking myself way too much. At one point I was working 2 internships and taking summer classes at the same time. My final semester of college, I was taking as full of a course load as they would let you take while I worked almost full time at the company that would go on to promote me once I graduated.

If I could do it over again, I would take it easier on myself. I would try and join clubs and get my mental health in check. That being said, all that work paid off. I was given a full time job before I had even graduated and am doing pretty well for being two years out of school with my current job. I don't think I'd be close to where I am professionally had I not been so driven and career-focused the majority of my college career.

Bay

Years
  • It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... My favorite thing about it was the freedom. Setting your own schedule was really great, having entire afternoons/days off from school was really neat. I had a nice group of friends, who I don't really keep in contact with anymore, but they made things fun. I do miss those times.
    It was definitely stressful at times though, especially during finals. The uncertainty of the future loomed over me throughout college too and I didn't REALLY know what I wanted to do until the end of my senior year.

More or less my same thoughts on college. I did took a part time job and involved in some clubs/volunteering, but I was still to have my schedule somewhat flexible. There were several friends I made and I still keep in contact with them on Facebook, though like only once in a blue moon. I had an idea of what career path I wanted to take, but I graduated six years ago when the economy got pretty bad so I didn't exactly get what I wanted.

I graduated in 2014 with my degree in Economics.

I took some Economic classes due to it being a concentration for my Business degree, and yeah it's no easy subject so it's awesome you managed to finish that degree and able to fun a career soon after!

Reactions: noa

pkmin3033

Been there, done that, got the graduation hoodie and teddy bear. I graduated from University in 2011, and again in 2013 after I did a postgraduate course. College isn't quite a big a deal over here as it is in the states really.

That said, of the two, I definitely enjoyed University more than I did College. The more flexible timetable (well, it wasn't SUPPOSED to be flexible, but nobody went to their assigned seminars if there was a huge gap, haha), the more varied and interesting subjects, and the peope I was around made it a much more enjoyable experience. The workload was hell at times, writing my two dissertations is probably the most challenging thing I've ever done, and my third year exams in particular were absolute hell (they were all three hour exams, and they were only three or four days apart for the most part) but I still really enjoyed the experience and I would absolutely do it again if I had the time and money.

Years
  • I'm currently taking a not-so-optional break from studying to earn my degree in primary education. My university decided to kick me out based on a technicality and now I have to re-enroll at a later date and hope they still count my previous units.

Before then though I'm going to be completing a course on Outside of School Care and Early Education (or something like that). I should be able to get a shitload of RPL from my work on my degree and my first-aid certificate so getting through should be a breeze. It basically qualifies me to work in the higher-level jobs at daycare centres or out of school care centres or as an educational assistant (which technically I could do anyway but meh).

Maybe once I get this diploma I'll open an out of school care centre and re-assess just how badly I want to finish my degree.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm currently studying at college and I'm really enjoying it. I took a break out of education to go straight into employment, I found that to be the wrong decision as I much prefer education to employment right now. I'm hoping to progress onto university once I've gained qualifications from my course!

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
    Years
  • Graduated in 2014. University truly was an indescribable experience, and I would recommend it to anyone, even if just for the experience. As long as you make long term plans whilst there. The real world is scary and your qualifications truly count towards your future.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Taking a Master's in Physical Engineering (or Engineering Physics, or whatever other translation there may be. My faculty's website uses both). Graduating next year. Best years of my life, honestly. I'm actually studying (mostly) stuff I enjoy, met so many amazing people over these years that have a lot more in common with me than the folks in high school and hometown, and finally had some freedom to develop myself (socially, most of all), set some ideas on different things and my personality. It did come with some hardships and loads of stress and anxiety (if you think high school's hard, you know absolutely nothing), but I don't regret it in the slightest.
    Sometimes I even wish I was back in my first year.

Sir Codin

Guess who now has a Bachelor of Science in Biology?

Here's a hint: he's your friendly neighborhood a-hole and his username starts with "C" and ends with "archarOdin."

Years
  • College is great. I'm in my second year here and I'm getting degrees in Economics and Spanish (I speak it fluently so I figured I may as well pick up a degree in it). I'm not one to go out too often, but when I do there's always plenty of stuff to do. Setting your own schedule is great, I start class at 10 every day and I'm generally out of class by 2 or 3 which for me is fantastic. It's a great experience that I would highly recommend.

Back