• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Colored Cartridges: Would You Welcome Their Return?

Would you support the return of colored media/cartridges on Pokemon games?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • Spoiler:

I'm sure most Pokemon fans have glimpsed at least one of these shiny cartridges variants that were featured from Generations 1 to 3. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were the first games to eliminate coloration on the game cartridge, opting to go with the (bland) standard gray cartridge that every other DS game sports. As for the console games, Pokemon Stadium 2 managed to feature a resplendent gold and silver on its coating.
    Such special coloration wasn't limited to the Pokemon games, though; it extended to other series as well. The Nintendo 64 entries of The Legend of Zelda series, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, are noted for their limited-edition gold coloration. IIRC, even certain NES and SNES cartridges received alternately-colored cartridges. Even one of my underrated N64 games, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, displayed bright red coloring on the Game Pak - that was actually one of the reasons I got the game, because it stood out so much on the shelves. XD Actually, I think several N64 games utilized different cartridge coloring, though the standard light-gray media was ever present.

Fast-forward to present day, and we're in Generation 5, where the Nintendo DS, 3DS, and Wii lack coloration on their media (though colored consoles continue to be plentiful). The Wii disc is technically excluded, since it can only be colored on one side, which is common for Wii discs. However, I would assume that the DS and 3DS cartridges could have colored coating applied to them, but I guess Nintendo discouraged the practice.

I fondly remember my first "console-cartridge color combination": A Flame Game Boy Advance SP with a dark blue cartridge inserted (Sapphire Version). Even though I've probably played Emerald for way longer now (and FireRed from time to time), any time I manage to borrow a Sapphire cartridge from a friend, it almost feels like I'm inundated with nostalgia. At times, I even get annoyed whenever I see a gray knockoff GBA Pokemon cartridge that lacks the distinctive and renowned coloring of the official Pokemon games.

So, my question to you, reader, is: Would you welcome the reintroduction of colored media, regarding the Pokémon games?
    I, for one, definitely would, as it's one of the features, though minor, that helped to shape the recognition of the classic Pokemon games we know today. And they sure help to break the mold of the seemingly-constant black/gray coloration that so much of today's hardware has (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

Last edited:

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • YES! I am so sad that we dont get to see the exquisite coloring of the games. Its made me quite possibly turn away from DPPt just because they were the first Poke games without the coloring D:.

PoketalkCreator

Just Some *****
    Years
  • Oh no, we've covered everything else so now it's cartridge color :P
    I myself do like the colored cartridges better and would be happy if they returned, but I really like Pokemon for the actual game play, cartridge color wasn't the only revolutionary trait Pokemon brought about lol

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • It is disappointing that we don't get colored cartridges anymore. They are great to look at, and I would definitely support their return.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Ooh, shiny! xD

Actually, I don't care if the cartridge is beautiful or not. My Pokémon Emerald and LeafGreen cartridges have no color...however my Ruby Version has a color. :\

Garringman

Erupting Nightmare
    Years
  • I miss those so much, the closest we even got was a darker black cartridge for HGSS, plus I want to know what the inside of a DS cartridge looks like the way they did in R/S/E.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd like it if colored cartidges made a comeback, because it's what made them stand out as video games back then. For Black/White, I would've liked it if the White cartridge was colored white.

Oharo

̣
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    Well yeah, I liked the coloured cartridges. I still have my Yellow version cartridge, and i'm playing it on my Gameboy right now. I haven't got a DS yet, but it was quite a disappointment to see the Nintendo decided to go with the typical DS card colour.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
  • It would be pretty cool if they did bring back coloured cartridges. It made the games more unique and it just looked more cooler and professional. Unfortunately I can't see it returning, but it would be brilliant if it did.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I miss those so much, the closest we even got was a darker black cartridge for HGSS, plus I want to know what the inside of a DS cartridge looks like the way they did in R/S/E.

I agree, it was so cool looking at the innards of the GameBoy Advance cartridges each time I held a Pokemon game. I think Crystal Version was the first Pokemon game to introduce cartridge transparency while still retaining the mascot color, with RSE and FR/LG cartridges following suit with their own thematic colors in combination with hued transparency coating.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I was very, very disappointed that DP weren't the cartridge color I was hoping for. That was my first impression of them too, so I was just like "...well, this generation is already starting badly..." I would gladly welcome the return of color cartridges.

Why did you post pics of fake games? :( lol

Years
  • Ever since HG/SS, the cartridges have been a deep transparent red, since they need to be able to send and receive infrared THROUGH THE CARTRIDGE. They can't be any other colour. :(

(Hold them up to an incandescent light (or the sun) and see!)

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Actually...My cartridge for Black version is indeed, Black. Still, the other DS cartridges seem a bit out of place in comparison to the rest, a bundle of gray in the midst of color, and though their might not be much reason to do so, it would still be nice if their cartridges were specially colored as to say "This is a Pokémon game!"

Also...that color combination of Sapphire and a red SP...Was the same combination I used for until my Sapphire quit working! Heh, guess it really is a small world.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Yes! I was so sad when Diamond and Pearl came out and they were both black. It was like Pokemon lost part of its personality!

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • I played the older games on computer, so I didn't know about the coloured cartridges. But when I did find out about them, and saw a couple for myself, I was looking forward to what Diamond and Pearl would look like. So much, I bought Diamon myself. I was in for a disappointment. : <
    I eventually bought all the older games, in all their colourful glory, but It would be nice seeing the future cartridges coloured again. ...Discluding Black. /brick'd

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I like coloured cartridges. It helps spotting fake games a lot easier.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I was slightly disappointed that we didn't get any with Black/White. Diamond and Pearl, fair enough, they're slightly obscure as colours go; Black and White would have been easy, and they've made such a point to emphasize the difference between them as well...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back